Struggling Offensive Line?

Make no mistake CJP wanted to see how far along some of the linemen have come, particularly the underclassmen. This was more of an evaluation of how some players are on game day verses practices, If his primary goal was to not allow any sacks, he could have went with his better OL athletes and fewer substitutions.

Still, the OL has much to prove this fall.

The starting oline unit must build cohesion, which this staff refuses to let them do by continuously moving bodies around. It shows too in their lack of ability to get to the second level, even off of double teams, and in the multiple missed pass protection assignments occurring every snap.

Most of our guys got beastied on a regular basis last season. But, the real problem was lack of understanding and unit cohesion on the field. If this latter scenario continues in 2019, then I believe we'll have to call it a coaching problem.

Watching part of the UT-WVa game replay last night, I was struck how much Brandon Kennedy's loss to injury last season hurt the team. His coming back healthy should be a huge upside. Not having an excellent center in the OL is devastating.
I'm missing what's so excellent about him. Bigelow abused him most of that one meaningful game we seen him play in.

I'm missing what's so excellent about him. Bigelow abused him most of that one meaningful game we seen him play in.
Early on, yes...but he improved & the entire line was better as a result. After his injury last season, things fell apart. Didn't have anyone step up. Kennedy's being there is a key to success, in my opinion (hope that's okey-dokey with you).

They didn’t show much improvement at the spring game did they? It’s still the reason why we will struggle to get to a bowl this year. Will be another long season.

What confuses me is that aren't most of these guys 4*s and some even 5*s? How is it that lessor "star-rated" OLs seem to put up better numbers year after year...? I disagree that the talent isn't there.

False. Bigelow was manhandled by Kennedy pretty much the rest of the game after that first series. I mean as in put him on the ground and grinding his elbow in his throat type action.

I read this link and wondered why we continue to have problems coming up with a decent offensive line. WTH? Lane Kiffin put together a pretty decent line with two walk-ons included.

Jeremy Pruitt challenges his struggling offensive line
I heard Gene Chizik say that next to QB, O line is toughest position to come in as a freshman and be able to have immediate success. It’s generally developmental position unless your a Trey Smith. Well, Trey Smith is questionable and we have a lot of good, but very young o Lineman. We’re on the right track, but I think we’re a year away from having a pretty solid online.

I read this link and wondered why we continue to have problems coming up with a decent offensive line. WTH? Lane Kiffin put together a pretty decent line with two walk-ons included.

Jeremy Pruitt challenges his struggling offensive line
He also had several NFL players on that line.
UT has the residual effect of a complete failure in the S&C program for several years. Add in marginal and undersized players and a lack of quality recruits.
Also, another new offense to learn. Lastly, I’m not sure that Friend is the answer. But, even so, you can’t go from abysmal to great overnight. This was truly one of the worst olines in the country. When these new guys are juniors, you’ll see a major difference. Struggling doesn’t mean they aren’t better than last year.

Most of our guys got beastied on a regular basis last season. But, the real problem was lack of understanding and unit cohesion on the field. If this latter scenario continues in 2019, then I believe we'll have to call it a coaching problem.

I can see where that might be a problem.

iu

I felt like last season the qb was a huge detriment to the oline. He didn’t get rid of the ball quickly and never took shots downfield. He made it easy for defensive ends to pin their ears back and come after him.

I felt like last season the qb was a huge detriment to the oline. He didn’t get rid of the ball quickly and never took shots downfield. He made it easy for defensive ends to pin their ears back and come after him.
Blue font?

What confuses me is that aren't most of these guys 4*s and some even 5*s? How is it that lessor "star-rated" OLs seem to put up better numbers year after year...? I disagree that the talent isn't there.
Um No.
On 2nd team, we had 1 player ranked above 3 stars.
On 1st team, we had 2 players ranked higher than 3 stars and one of those is a true freshmen.

And honestly, there's never been anything linked that would give the slightest impression that our O&W lines were made up "mostly" of 4 and 5 stars.

Make no mistake CJP wanted to see how far along some of the linemen have come, particularly the underclassmen. This was more of an evaluation of how some players are on game day verses practices, If his primary goal was to not allow any sacks, he could have went with his better OL athletes and fewer substitutions.

Still, the OL has much to prove this fall.
*could have gone

Reactions: The Original Fade

VN Store

Back