Struggling Offensive Line?

It’s amazing that some fools on this board still blame JG for the offensive production last year
JG should not get all of the blame. But I do not see all the Adoration or love for him either. He continuously throws the ball behind the first down markers on third down. He continues to hold onto the ball too long. The argument that he makes fewest mistakes Falls flat because if you're only bought throwing the ball three yards you're not going to throw as many interceptions. I actually thought Crist should have played more last year. Yes he threw a couple more interceptions that he also made many more big place considering how little time he spent on the field.

Every college coach will tell you the same things about O linemen.

It normally takes O linemen 2 to 3 years to reach their peak potential as a college O lineman.

You need solid, consistent teaching and training in the same system and playbook as well as a solid S&C plan to train them for their specific position as a O lineman.

Constant turnover of the HC, OC, S&C and O line coaches drastically slows down the progress of getting a good O lineman ready to rock especially in the always brutal SEC.

We're in a total rebuild and will be for at least 2 or 3 more recruiting classes.

The good news is that Pruitt and staff are really good coaches and recruiters and are going to be here for several more years so the consistency factor will start to take off and the improvements will start to show up.

They're also very focused on recruiting hard for both lines and we just saw them get 2 guys that are 5* O linemen so the future is starting to look very bright.

Being patient is the hardest thing in the world to do especially for us battered Vols fans but Pruitt has a solid rebuilding plan and it's starting to take shape on our player roster.

We'll love where we'll be in 2 or 3 more years and by then our recruiting rotation will also be solid so that we're not rebuilding but just replacing those that graduate or leave early for the NFL.

Getting consistent in all aspects and getting our recruiting process back into a solid rotation will make a huge difference in time.

Get your sunglasses ready my friends because things are just going to get brighter and brighter from this point forward.

VFL...GBO!!!

Every other team seems to have a understanding of what they are supposed to do. We got to be strong and tough enough, if we don't improve it's because we aren't putting in the work. Yes, we still need even more talent but Pruitt has enough to not be pathetically weak upfront. I have faith in the staff, but if we don't make any improvement up front Friend will be on the hot seat. No excuse to not improve as we go. Without a good LOS, you can forget being good in the SEC. Having said all that I have faith in this staff. GBO!

Every college coach will tell you the same things about O linemen.

It normally takes O linemen 2 to 3 years to reach their peak potential as a college O lineman.

You need solid, consistent teaching and training in the same system and playbook as well as a solid S&C plan to train them for their specific position as a O lineman.

Constant turnover of the HC, OC, S&C and O line coaches drastically slows down the progress of getting a good O lineman ready to rock especially in the always brutal SEC.

We're in a total rebuild and will be for at least 2 or 3 more recruiting classes.

The good news is that Pruitt and staff are really good coaches and recruiters and are going to be here for several more years so the consistency factor will start to take off and the improvements will start to show up.

They're also very focused on recruiting hard for both lines and we just saw them get 2 guys that are 5* O linemen so the future is starting to look very bright.

Being patient is the hardest thing in the world to do especially for us battered Vols fans but Pruitt has a solid rebuilding plan and it's starting to take shape on our player roster.

We'll love where we'll be in 2 or 3 more years and by then our recruiting rotation will also be solid so that we're not rebuilding but just replacing those that graduate or leave early for the NFL.

Getting consistent in all aspects and getting our recruiting process back into a solid rotation will make a huge difference in time.

Get your sunglasses ready my friends because things are just going to get brighter and brighter from this point forward.

VFL...GBO!!!
I am always in, but the time for talk has passed. There is no excuse for us to be at the bottom of college football upfront. That has to END this year. GBO!

Recruit Big and Smart .....and then give them shoes 2 sizes too small to make them mad.
Smart and Mean.
That is what is needed on the OL.
Then offer trips to Ye Olde Steakhouse and whatever is Knoxville’s version of “The Chicken Ranch”. Two things big ole boys can’t resist. Beef and beaver.

The only current player who is a NFL prospect is Trey Smith and he cannot even play due to health reasons. Hopefully the staff can develop these guys.

JG should not get all of the blame. But I do not see all the Adoration or love for him either. He continuously throws the ball behind the first down markers on third down. He continues to hold onto the ball too long. The argument that he makes fewest mistakes Falls flat because if you're only bought throwing the ball three yards you're not going to throw as many interceptions. I actually thought Crist should have played more last year. Yes he threw a couple more interceptions that he also made many more big place considering how little time he spent on the field.

How is throwing behind the first down marker JG’s fault? No protection forced WRs to run shorter routes and try to turn it into a bigger gain for a first down. All goes back to Oline.

Reactions: KBVol and Jrobin
Read somewhere the problem right now is injuries and getting the blue chips healthy.

How is throwing behind the first down marker JG’s fault? No protection forced WRs to run shorter routes and try to turn it into a bigger gain for a first down. All goes back to Oline.
I agree to a point but when Crist came in he threw down the field often. JG holds on to the ball too long and since he knows he doesn't have a great line he should know he should release quicker.

I don't understand the constant shuffling of the OL. If I'm going to be playing guard, that's where I want to be every day. The techniques for each position are different. I understand that you want to get your best 5 on the field, but just because Trey is an A+ guard does not mean that he will be a decent tackle. Find the ones that can play, put them in their positions and then find backups for them.

Reactions: VolinMC
We need enough bodies upfront where we don't have to shuffle. And first and foremost learn 1 position before trying to play 2. GBO!

Reactions: VolinMC
I don't understand the constant shuffling of the OL. If I'm going to be playing guard, that's where I want to be every day. The techniques for each position are different. I understand that you want to get your best 5 on the field, but just because Trey is an A+ guard does not mean that he will be a decent tackle. Find the ones that can play, put them in their positions and then find backups for them.
Can't remember if it was Chaney, Friend or Pruitt but one of them said (paraphrasing)
We're still short enough on talented depth that we feel it's extremely important to get what real talent we do have, familiar with a couple of positions.

They're obviously concerned that, like last season, just a couple of injuries, even minor, would leave us scrambling to adjust.

It’s amazing that some fools on this board still blame JG for the offensive production last year
It is more amazing that some fools continue to absolve him of all blame and place all blame on the OL... while calling others "fools".

You can debate the split and how or how much the OL and JG made each other look worse... but both bear significant blame. If you want to say 30% JG and 70% OL... I wouldn't try to convince you otherwise while I would put it closer to 50/50 or even more shaded toward JG if you consider the ripple effect of a QB's play. Either way it was a very bad O and both share a big share of the blame.

From what I read in the link it sounds like CJP is trying to instill as sense of responsibility for the line. It seems that he wants to onus on the line. He wants them to take ownership of their own unit within the team and make that a sense of pride rather than relying on coaching to make them better. There is something about having pride in yourself and what you represent that makes you work harder to perfect your craft and you position group. I think that he is driving at making the O-line the strength of the offense rather than its weak link. That will take the guys in the trenches deciding that they are taking ownership and making the line dominant the same way that Florida's DB's have dubbed their defensive backfield the "no fly zone" or the way that other teams claim the "Wide Receiver U" title.

Obviously I think that he is attempting to make a drastic culture change within the line. Clearly coaching has a lot to do with line play and recruiting plays a huge role there. The thing is that if the mentality is not there the line will never become a dominant force no matter how good the athletes are or how well we recruit at that position group. There are some things have more to do with a winning and aggressive mindset over athleticism. Jimmy's and Joes.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Might be best if Friend and Chaney can figure out exactly what they want their OL to do best. My guess Pruitt wants the OL to be more physical with their run blocking. It's the easiest to learn, even for freshmen and Chaney needs to establish the run to set up his passing game. Ball control, tempo, time of possession and protection of your defense is mostly whats on Pruitt's noggin.

Now, have you got any running backs?

The starting oline unit must build cohesion, which this staff refuses to let them do by continuously moving bodies around. It shows too in their lack of ability to get to the second level, even off of double teams, and in the multiple missed pass protection assignments occurring every snap.
You really have no clue how things work. There has to be backups at every position. They also have to find the best combination of five to give the most reps. No true depth yet, so they have to move to find it.

You really have no clue how things work. There has to be backups at every position. They also have to find the best combination of five to give the most reps. No true depth yet, so they have to move to find it.

You're correct. You want your best 5 OLs on the field at any given time. If someone goes down to injury or needs a blow as a coaching staff you need to know who that next guy is that goes in for the starter. Back in the old days it was the #2 guy at that position. It doesn't work like that often these days. If the #6 best OL player is at his best at LG, but the RT goes down. It very well could be the starting LG moves to RT (as he's practiced and played there) and the #6 best OL trots out onto the field and plays LG. Some guys can play multiple positions some guys can't, but the staff doesn't know that unless they move them around to know.

Not all. Not even close. The system we ran, with a porous and underdeveloped line, is where I lay most of the blame...

Helton did try to adapt a bit, but we were anything but a smash mouth, play action type offense. We needed to spread it out more and dink n dunk, imo.

JG definitely made his fair share of mistakes, but man, did he get hit from start to finish almost every game last year. Don’t think I saw a clean jersey once after each game! Can’t coach toughness! Go Vols!

I played college ball on the offensive line, so yes flute tooter, I know how things work. There is no way they shouldn’t know the best 5 by now, excluding the guys coming in.

Reactions: Roustabout
Every coach has to have a reason for failure other than their ability to coach!

VN Store

Back