Strength coach making players run 80 yards up the Neyland ramp

Inclines are good to build up endurance and conditioning.

I read where Saban made the 08 team run 26 110 yard sprints in one hot August practice. I wonder if he could get away with that today?

Reactions: 1 person
Inclines are good to build up endurance and conditioning.

I read where Saban made the 08 team run 26 110 yard sprints in one practice. I wonder if he could get away with that today?

So they ran 2860 yds? That's less than 2 miles. Doubt he would get in to any trouble.....

Reactions: 5 people
Aaaahhhh gravity...
latest

Reactions: 2 people
Sprinting two miles?

I would doubt with the amount of people on a College football team it would be one after another. I am sure they would have at least 10 - 30 second breaks in between.

I have done this in HS and moderately in College, dunno why it is hard to ask of D1 college players.

Awesome! I've stumbled down that ramp a few times, never sprinted up the thing. I'm loving this Fitz guy, he's crazy and creative.

Reactions: 7 people
I would doubt with the amount of people on a College football team it would be one after another. I am sure they would have at least 10 - 30 second breaks in between.

I have done this in HS and moderately in College, dunno why it is hard to ask of D1 college players.

Its not, thats nothing compared to what we had to do before wrestling practice.

WATCH: Tennessee strength coach makes players run up 80-yard Neyland ramp
Gettem in shape Mike. These players are going to know it, by fall practice and the 1st game. They are going to be bigger, stronger, and hopefully play a full game without being wore out. Strain boys strain.:rock:

Literally every strength coach at UT for every sport has used the Neyland ramp every year. I like what Fitzgerald is doing at UT, but let's not act like this is anything new. Every former athlete at UT from football players to rowers has a Gate 10 ramp story.

Reactions: 32 people
Literally every strength coach at UT for every sport has used the Neyland ramp every year. I like what Fitzgerald is doing at UT, but let's not act like this is anything new. Every former athlete at UT from football players to rowers has a Gate 10 ramp story.

I hate that damn ramp!

The wrestling team used to do these when I was there, but it wasn't on the ramp - it was up the steps! Furthermore, we had to CARRY SOMEONE OF SIMILAR WIGHT ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OF THE STADIUM.

The scariest part was being on the top - especially when the guy carrying you started to get a little wobbly near the top of the stadium! :-(

Last edited:

Serious question, DeerPark. Did those and this Fritz guy require the players to make that run more than once? Was it a weekly part of the training or something similar?

Now you have done it. Mixed reality into this.

If injuries happen this season like last or players show signs of running out of stem in games, Fitzgerald will turn from hero to the problem in a New York Minute no matter what he does. Even if he does all the right things.

My first thought was what did they do wrong to be punished to run that ramp. :)

They had one in the 80's. I'm not sure when/why wrestling was cut, but Tennessee had a national champion too(Chris Edmond in 1985).

Tennessee had really good wrestling teams until it was dropped because of Title IX. I could not find the dates or the records, but they were ranked very high in the SEC and very competitive in the NCAA. Wrestling was actually a PE class which one could take for credit back in the mid 1950s when I was at UT. A number of our better players were also wrestlers in the good old days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Uphill sprints take a lot of pressure off the knee, but put a ton of pressure on your achilles. I ruptured mine doing this very thing about a year ago.

Now you have done it. Mixed reality into this.

If injuries happen this season like last or players show signs of running out of stem in games, Fitzgerald will turn from hero to the problem in a New York Minute no matter what he does. Even if he does all the right things.

My first thought was what did they do wrong to be punished to run that ramp. :)

Your FIRST thought was “how can I spin this negative for Pruitt?” :shades:

Posi-Vol: that’s awesome. Our guys are going to be in great shape in the 4th quarter.
Nega-Vol: great, all of our 2 star quality MAC players are going to quit being treated this way.

VN Store

Back