Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

Feds took down firstrow and 15 other sites. Was going to catch the end of the Pacers game but guess I won't be watching Indiana anymore.

They obviously don't need SOPA. What happened to due process? Only applicable in situations that don't affect the corporations?

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, I'm against it.

I'm going to have to get some serious reading done on this, because I am completely unsatisfied with my ability to verbalize my position. Probably start with Against Intellectual Monopoly.

BTW, I'm like 35 pages into this and it's pretty cool. They did some serious homework (all for a non-copyrighted book) and are making a very convincing argument that there is no support for the idea that protection of IP results in more innovation.

They've used examples of steam engines, software, books, etc. that demonstrate patents and copyrights stifle innovation, rather than encourage it. European authors did not enjoy copyright protection in young America. Consider this example of Charles Dickens:

How did it work? Then, as now, there is a great deal of impatience in the demand for books, especially good books. English authors would sell American publishers the manuscripts of their new books before their publication in Britain. The American publisher who bought the manuscript had every incentive to saturate the market for that particular novel as soon as possible, to avoid cheap imitators to come in soon after. This led to mass publication at fairly low prices. The amount of revenues British authors received up front from American publishers often exceeded the amount they were able to collect over a number of years from royalties in the UK. Notice that, at the time, the US market was comparable in size to the UK market.

More broadly, the lack of copyright protection, which
permitted the United States publishers’ “pirating” of English writers, was a good economic policy of great social value for the people of United States, and of no significant detriment, as the Commission report and other evidence confirm, for English authors. Not only did it enable the establishment and rapid growth of a large and successful publishing business in the United States; also, and more importantly, it increased literacy and benefited the cultural development of the American people by flooding the market with cheap copies of great books. As an example: Dickens’ A Christmas Carol sold for six cents in the US, while it was priced at roughly two dollars and fifty cents in England. This dramatic increase in literacy was probably instrumental for the emergence of a great number of United States writers and scientists toward the end of the nineteenth century.

Is Ch131.com still up? I haven't been able to watch TV online since my computer went down right before they started seizing websites.

395277_346870065330809_192214550796362_1322993_1866208467_n.jpg

SOPA is back?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUOyNzBePA&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

VN Store

Back