Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

rockytop9808

Ludicrous Display
Hey guys,

I strongly urge you all to read up on the Stop Online Piracy Act. It's a potentially dangerous bill that would allow even the smallest of infringement complaints, legitimate or not, to completely shut down "infringing" sites. The ramifications of this bill could drastically damage sites ranging from Google to YouTube to Wikipedia and more. The big issue with this act is its very broad, scorched-earth approach, and the potential power it can give to both the government and large copyright holders (think RIAA, MPAA). The bill was introduced by Lamar Smith of Texas- Mr. Smith has received contributions from several media and entertainment lobbies.

The internet is, possibly, the most important medium for the spread of information in the history of humankind. We all use it. Help keep broad and unclear government policies away from this tool- keep the internet free.

Some basic info about the bill can be found on its Wikipedia page.
Stop Online Piracy Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Representatives who have came out against regulation of the internet during the net neutrality debate, but are in favor of SOPA

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, (R) Tennessee
Rep. Mary Bono Mack, (R) California
Rep. John Carter, (R) Texas
Rep. Steven Chabot, (R) Ohio
Rep. Elton Gallegly, (R) California
Rep. Robert Goodlatte, (R) Virginia
Rep. Tim Griffin, (R) Arkansas
Rep. Peter King, (R) New York
Rep. Thomas Marino, (R) Pennsylvania
Rep. Alan Nunnelee, (R) Mississippi
Rep. Dennis Ross, (R) Florida
Rep. Steve Scalise, (R) Louisiana
Rep. Lee Terry, (R) Nebraska
Sen. Lamar Alexander, (R) Tennessee
Sen. Kelly Ayotte, (R) New Hampshire
Sen. Roy Blunt, (R) Missouri
Sen. John Boozman, (R) Arkansas
Sen. Saxby Chambliss, (R) Georgia
Sen. Thad Cochran, (R) Mississippi
Sen. Bob Corker, (R) Tennessee
Sen. Michael Enzi, (R) Wyoming
Sen. Lindsey Graham, (R) South Carolina
Sen. Charles Grassley, (R) Iowa
Sen. Orrin Hatch, (R) Utah
Sen. John Isakson, (R) Georgia
Sen. James Risch, (R) Idaho
Sen. Marco Rubio, (R) Florida
Sen. David Vitter, (R) Louisiana

Google should shut down for the day to show the world what it'll be like if SOPA passes. This will essentially choke the internet to death.

we're asking a building full of older men/women to make future technology decisions. What could go wrong?

we're asking a building full of older men/women to make future technology decisions. What could go wrong?

Oh, hey, here's some money and this is how I want you to vote, k? (Sucker doesn't even know what he's voting on.)

uWBeul.jpg

I saw a post to think about it this way:

You upload a wedding video to YouTube. In that video, someone happens to be wearing a t-shirt with a logo of, say, a musician on the front. That musician's label decides that this use of the artist's image is an infringement and they file a complaint. Under the act, the label could have YouTube completely taken down for this "infringement".

People who download music are going to download no matter what the law is. There is always going to be a way.

Besides, I don't think anyone wants the psychopathic idiots pushing this bill to have even more power.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
This seems to me to be the last bastion of hope for the RIAA and MPAA and their losing battle against downloading and copyright infringement. This bill, if passed, will create a political ****storm for those who champion it when people figure out that the internet will pretty much be castrated as a result.

This seems to me to be the last bastion of hope for the RIAA and MPAA and their losing battle against downloading and copyright infringement. This bill, if passed, will create a political ****storm for those who champion it when people figure out that the internet will pretty much be castrated as a result.

I tend to lean right, but the absolutely massive right-wing support for this is disgusting.

The idiots in all of the government have no idea what they're doing. Idiots idiots idiots, all of them.

The hearings have apparently deteriorated into name-calling by several representatives, with any amendments to the bill being immediately shot down.

How in the world do these people get elected?

KeepTheWebOpen.com

Last edited:
The internet scares the bejeebers out of the politicians.

It is a spontaneous ordered environment with limited regulations and little to no oversight or central planning.

Why does that scare them?

Because it WORKS! and works well. It thrives. It is an example that they need stopped at all costs before we get too many ideas about trying these principles in other parts of life.

Vote pushed to next year.

Great news. Hope support keeps being drummed up to get this thing killed.

EDIT: Check that. Committee appears to be reconvening on the 21st. Looks like they're going to try to push it through to the House before they decide to recess.

Last edited:
One word: idiots.

None of them understand the internet. Not a single one of them. IF this passes, you can look for a revolution. I'm not just talking about the Occupy protests, I'm talking about a widespread revolution. A LOT of people will be angry over this.

None of them understand the internet. Not a single one of them. IF this passes, you can look for a revolution. I'm not just talking about the Occupy protests, I'm talking about a widespread revolution. A LOT of people will be angry over this.

The problem is nobody knows **** about it right now, in terms of the general population. It's getting no media attention.

I'm afraid it's going to pass for that reason.

The problem is nobody knows **** about it right now, in terms of the general population. It's getting no media attention.

I'm afraid it's going to pass for that reason.

I know, it's quite ridiculous and shows exactly how money negatively affects the American political system. All politicians are bought and paid for.

Haha. I doubt we will see a widespread revolution, though we may see some nice hacks and shutdown protests.

I'm thinking more along the lines of groups like Anon and such going relentlessly at the government.

This whole thing, to me, signifies that in spite of any significant attempts to change the system, like the tea party and that whole bit, that the system is still very much in tact. The same hoops that candidates have to jump through are still in place and we result with generally the same lot in congress that was there before, just with different names and faces.

VN Store

Back