stock market was up today...

How ****ing stupid are these people? You have cash tied up in an appreciating asset that you now must sell to pay the tax on it. Or you own a piece of a business that you don’t plan to sell but must pay 37% on the FMV every year? I wish they would just say what they mean, we want to redistribute wealth and we want to know who has it.

Would be the same as preparing an estate tax return every year instead of once when you're dead...along with your regular income tax return of course. Yea, that'll work. Waiting on every dem candidate for president to endorse this stupidity just as they did the new green deal.

Would be the same as preparing an estate tax return every year instead of once when you're dead...along with your regular income tax return of course. Yea, that'll work. Waiting on every dem candidate for president to endorse this stupidity just as they did the new green deal.
Bernie wants a 77% rate on estates over $1B. They’d probably try to keep both taxes to “fix” things.

Why should the government get 77 cents on the dollar for every one over a billion? I trust the billionaires to come up with more fruitful ways to help society. Our government will just piss it away.
It will drive even more to put it into charitable trusts. That will incense the redistribution crowd.

Reactions: Vol737
How ****ing stupid are these people? You have cash tied up in an appreciating asset that you now must sell to pay the tax on it. Or you own a piece of a business that you don’t plan to sell but must pay 37% on the FMV every year? I wish they would just say what they mean, we want to redistribute wealth and we want to know who has it.

This is a 180 from what should happen. Long term gains should be taxed after an exclusion relative to an inflationary index from the date of the purchase. Democrats and their voters need to get off of the wealth redistribution concept as a government function. This is the kind of **** that makes them want to repeal the 2nd amendment. Take their guns first and then take their other stuff to give out freebies to the voting base.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Need help interpreting this guys, and opinions on the fund that i am invested in..this is my 401k estatement

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190416-150116_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190416-150116_Chrome.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20190416-151138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190416-151138_Chrome.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20190416-151610_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190416-151610_Chrome.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 27
Ok...so had an emergency about a year ago and had to take out a loan from my 401k..borrowed 8 grand of my own money. Pay no interest, but dont earn anything off that 8k jntil it is all paid back. Still owe about 5700, paying back 140 a month, 35 dollars a week. I am contributing 3% of my weekly salary of 1100 dollars, thats 55k a year, but usually get 4 bonus checks of 10k each throughout the year that taxes rape...like 40% rape...but they pay for my kids Christian school and whatever BS my wife is spending our money on. Have a few questions

It looks like my company isnt matching my 3% contribution anymore? Never told me that they stopped...

I get a profit share bonus at the end of the year though, for the last 6 or 7 years. Was 3 or 4k...went up, last. 2 years were 8k and 9k...thats where most of my 401k has come from.

It looks like if my loan were paid back today, i would have about 43k? 37 something plus 5700 is about 43k?

Does this seem like a good investment for me? I am 42 years old, thats why i picked a target date fund.

Will a recession destroy my 401k based on what i am invested in? Do yall know how to find out exactly what this fund is invested in?

Can i change what i am invested in before the coming recession, then get back in the stock market when it starts to rebound? They say that you cant time the market...but sirely we will see a recession in the next 2 to 3 years...if Trump gets beat, the market will get wrecked immediately...

What would you guys do in my shoes? I know a lot of you older guys day just leave it be...it will come back later...but i dont want to lose 30 or 40% of my entire retirement savings. I would rather pull it out a yesr early and lose 10% (4k?) Than lose 25k and have to earn all that back...it will take halfway to the NEXT recession just to earn back what i lost...hell with that. If i pull it out and put it in something very safe, i would have 40k plus to get back in and ride the climb for 8 to 10 years in theory before another recession comes....

Thanks guys for your advice. I will consider each response carefully

I would leave it alone and keep investing. The fund is balanced between stocks and bonds appropriately given your age. It is basically a fund of index funds with a low expense ratio. I don’t like the weighting on international stocks (high for me) but wouldn’t use that as a reason to exit the holding. I think I nabbed the right one below.

The real discipline is to keep buying as it falls. That will help you recover faster than you are estimating when it rebounds.

All of this is my opinion of course. And I am not a financial planner or analyst but am invested in the same markets, not this fund.

Principal Lifetime Hybrid 2035 Fund;Instl

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Ok...so had an emergency about a year ago and had to take out a loan from my 401k..borrowed 8 grand of my own money. Pay no interest, but dont earn anything off that 8k jntil it is all paid back. Still owe about 5700, paying back 140 a month, 35 dollars a week. I am contributing 3% of my weekly salary of 1100 dollars, thats 55k a year, but usually get 4 bonus checks of 10k each throughout the year that taxes rape...like 40% rape...but they pay for my kids Christian school and whatever BS my wife is spending our money on. Have a few questions

It looks like my company isnt matching my 3% contribution anymore? Never told me that they stopped...

I get a profit share bonus at the end of the year though, for the last 6 or 7 years. Was 3 or 4k...went up, last. 2 years were 8k and 9k...thats where most of my 401k has come from.

It looks like if my loan were paid back today, i would have about 43k? 37 something plus 5700 is about 43k?

Does this seem like a good investment for me? I am 42 years old, thats why i picked a target date fund.

Will a recession destroy my 401k based on what i am invested in? Do yall know how to find out exactly what this fund is invested in?

Can i change what i am invested in before the coming recession, then get back in the stock market when it starts to rebound? They say that you cant time the market...but sirely we will see a recession in the next 2 to 3 years...if Trump gets beat, the market will get wrecked immediately...

What would you guys do in my shoes? I know a lot of you older guys day just leave it be...it will come back later...but i dont want to lose 30 or 40% of my entire retirement savings. I would rather pull it out a yesr early and lose 10% (4k?) Than lose 25k and have to earn all that back...it will take halfway to the NEXT recession just to earn back what i lost...hell with that. If i pull it out and put it in something very safe, i would have 40k plus to get back in and ride the climb for 8 to 10 years in theory before another recession comes....

Thanks guys for your advice. I will consider each response carefully
It looks like a typical 75/25 stock/bond fund that is pretty well diversified. I agree with 95 Alum on the International stock percentage, but many Vanguard Target Date funds do the same. There is an old saying that goes something like this.........…"scared money stays poor." You need to get over the fear of losing your ass, because it will happen at some point. Don't try to time the market.

If you can't stand the thought of losing your ass, put it in CD's and plan on just keeping up with inflation and making nothing.

@marcusluvsvols
Portfolio allocation models

Marcus, check out how the different stock/bond portfolios, with different percentage allocations, have performed over the last 90 years. You probably can expect something similar, but of course nothing is guaranteed. Your fund is about 75/25% stocks versus bonds. The charts show best years, worst years and how many years they lose money or make money. Also, the approximate percentage drop in their worst years and increase in best years.

You should pay special attention to how the different percentage allocations have historically done over time. If you have any questions, please ask. No question is stupid if you don't know the answer.

I would highly suggest kicking your contribution % up as well as accelerating the repayment of that loan. It may seem painful but I think you can afford it. The increased contribution will also mean you owe less taxes. An IRA would be a great vehicle to dump some of those bonuses in to keep them from being spent easily. I don’t know if that loan is interfering with your company match or it’s been discontinued, but either way I would ask. I’ve got 5 funds in my 401k- A couple of those target funds, a large cap fund, international fund, and an S&P index. No reason to get fancy with it. I would also find out if the company managing your 401k offers free consultations or advice. If they do take them up on it. You are going to lose your ass, you are going to get it back. As stated no sense trying to time it. Target funds will move you into a higher bond position as you age, so they will automatically hedge against downturns as you approach retirement. Don’t feel dumb about asking questions about this stuff. Nobody knows everything. I’m sure you know far more about construction than many of us.

Reactions: tennvols77
Thanks a bunch guys. I know nearly nothing about any of this, i read a lot about the market and investing, and have learned some...about "shorts" and "puts" and some of that crazy sheet that is basically just gambling for educated folks...i dont have the education to make my own trades...even guys who went to school for it and study the market lose their asses when the big name wall street firms distort the market and screw all the little guys with shady behind the scene deals. Even bluechip stocks arent a sure thing unless youre talking over the long haul. Everybody wishes they bought walmart or amazon 10, 20, years ago...i know very few people were that smart or lucky, or both.

I am going to study the links yall posted a bit, and see what i can figure out. I dont want my money invested overseas, either...everyone's economy is pretty much crap right now except ours...and i dont trust other countries policy and regulation, even as much as the little that i trust ours. May try to move mine into a different targeted fund like 95 has up there.

@marcusluvsvols

JMO -

You’re 42 years old. You’ve got a 20+ year time horizon before you retire (probably). Plenty of time to absorb the cyclical ups and downs of the market.

I’d get out of that target date allocation fund and get into a good Large Cap growth fund.

Here’s a couple of actively managed funds from a couple of the big boys -

TRBCX - T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth
TRBCX T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

FBGRX - Fidelity Blue Chip Gowth
FBGRX Fidelity® Blue Chip Growth Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

Those are both excellent funds with long successful track records.

If you like Index Funds better, switch to an S&P 500 Index Fund or a Total Market Index Fund. Vanguard has quality options for both -

VFINX - Vanguard 500 Index Fund
VFINX Vanguard 500 Index Investor Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
VTSMX Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Inv Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

You’ll get better returns over the long run from any of these, especially the Blue Chip Growth Funds.

Two more things -

1. Pay off that loan ASAP.
2. Increase your contribution rate (and ensure it’s enough to max out the company match).

All of this is JMO. Hope it helps.

@marcusluvsvols

JMO -

You’re 42 years old. You’ve got a 20+ year time horizon before you retire (probably). Plenty of time to absorb the cyclical ups and downs of the market.

I’d get out of that target date allocation fund and get into a good Large Cap growth fund.

Here’s a couple of actively managed funds from a couple of the big boys -

TRBCX - T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth
TRBCX T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

FBGRX - Fidelity Blue Chip Gowth
FBGRX Fidelity® Blue Chip Growth Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

Those are both excellent funds with long successful track records.

If you like Index Funds better, switch to an S&P 500 Index Fund or a Total Market Index Fund. Vanguard has quality options for both -

VFINX - Vanguard 500 Index Fund
VFINX Vanguard 500 Index Investor Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
VTSMX Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Inv Fund Analysis, Quote & History | Morningstar

You’ll get better returns over the long run from any of these, especially the Blue Chip Growth Funds.

Two more things -

1. Pay off that loan ASAP.
2. Increase your contribution rate (and ensure it’s enough to max out the company match).

All of this is JMO. Hope it helps.
Nothing wrong with that advice, but he seems to be risk averse. He needs to be somewhat comfortable with watching his portfolio drop by a large percentage if he is going 100% equities..

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Thanks a bunch guys. I know nearly nothing about any of this, i read a lot about the market and investing, and have learned some...about "shorts" and "puts" and some of that crazy sheet that is basically just gambling for educated folks...i dont have the education to make my own trades...even guys who went to school for it and study the market lose their asses when the big name wall street firms distort the market and screw all the little guys with shady behind the scene deals. Even bluechip stocks arent a sure thing unless youre talking over the long haul. Everybody wishes they bought walmart or amazon 10, 20, years ago...i know very few people were that smart or lucky, or both.

I am going to study the links yall posted a bit, and see what i can figure out. I dont want my money invested overseas, either...everyone's economy is pretty much crap right now except ours...and i dont trust other countries policy and regulation, even as much as the little that i trust ours. May try to move mine into a different targeted fund like 95 has up there.
I thought 95 was showing your fund?

Nothing wrong with that advice, but he seems to be risk averse. He needs to be somewhat comfortable with watching his portfolio drop by a large percentage if he is going 100% equities..
Agreed. He’s got 20 years though. The gains will outpace the losses.

You’re right, he ultimately needs to be comfortable with his personal level of exposure.

Was just giving some other options for better returns.

Full disclosure: I’m not a fan of Target Date funds.

Why should the government get 77 cents on the dollar for every one over a billion? I trust the billionaires to come up with more fruitful ways to help society. Our government will just piss it away.

I get it, but it ain't worth getting upset about. Hell I doubt many of them would care too much e.g Gates, Bezos, Buffett...

No reason for us common folk to get our dander up over the 1% of the 1% not being able to fund six generations of their offspring.

I get it, but it ain't worth getting upset about. Hell I doubt many of them would care too much e.g Gates, Bezos, Buffett...

No reason for us common folk to get our dander up over the 1% of the 1% not being able to fund six generations of their offspring.
Yes, Progressives would never attempt to expand a tax bracket.

VN Store

Back