stock market was up today...

No it is not. It’s about oil, gas, and minerals. The lanes were already secure. Got any info on pirate activity spikes that forced China to respond? 🙄
It could be something as random as some international law that the US is trying to enforce in the region where they want to limit trade between China and Iran, for example...

They want to control the lanes, dude. Not have us control them. What is hard to understand about this?

Also, you say we aren't expansionist. Ok. List of United States military bases - Wikipedia
Other than perhaps Gitmo and F Cuba anyway where are those bases located where the US is forcing their existance and the host countries didn’t allow their presence? And no they aren’t there by gunpoint to allow their presence. That’s a silly ass argument.

You’re right TGO. Sorry for the hijack.

Other than perhaps Gitmo and F Cuba anyway where are those bases located where the US is forcing their existance and the host countries didn’t allow their presence? And no they aren’t there by gunpoint to allow their presence. That’s a silly ass argument.

You’re right TGO. Sorry for the hijack.
To the victors go the spoils. They aren't exactly in a position to demand that we leave. Our bases in Iraq are "welcome" because we invaded, overthrew a hostile government, built the bases, and installed a government friendly to us that (naturally) is OK with the bases being there.

Venezuela is allowing Russian bombers in their territory, and Cuba allowed Soviet nukes in their territory, and you called that "expansionist." But when we do it, it isn't expansionist. That's your rule. China also has a base in Djibouti, meant to counter our presence at Camp Lemonnier. It has the blessing of the government, just like ours does. Is the Chinese base "expansionist?" If so, then by definition, doesn't ours have to be as well?

To the victors go the spoils. They aren't exactly in a position to demand that we leave. Our bases in Iraq are "welcome" because we invaded, overthrew a hostile government, built the bases, and installed a government friendly to us that (naturally) is OK with the bases being there.

Venezuela is allowing Russian bombers in their territory, and Cuba allowed Soviet nukes in their territory, and you called that "expansionist." But when we do it, it isn't expansionist. That's your rule. China also has a base in Djibouti, meant to counter our presence at Camp Lemonnier. It has the blessing of the government, just like ours does. Is the Chinese base "expansionist?" If so, then by definition, doesn't ours have to be as well?
None of the examples you listed meets what I labeled as expansionism. That’s actually your argument not mine. You’re the one that came back with the base list as examples of expansionism.

What China is doing in the South China Sea is expansionism. What Russia is doing in Crimea and Ukraine is expansionist.

You’re twisting the sarcasm I used in reply to Ras on the bombers in Venezuela.

And TGO is right we are hijacking this thread. If you want to carry it on please dog up the South China Sea thread.

Here's some. I haven't bought or sold a stock in 3 or 4 months. I'm going to ride out my S&P 500 Index fund and my 2.75% CD's for the next 2 years.
Sounds like a winner to me. I invested a little more in 3 index funds a few days ago. One was Vanguard's S&P 500 fund. Also, Diversified Equity Fund, which is a compilation of a few of their equity funds, and Dividend Appreciation Fund.

I sat down one day and started looking at the returns that I've made over the last 20 years. What I found out was that I spent a lot of time studying, researching and worrying about stocks for no damn good reason. Some years I was ahead and some behind what the S&P 500 did. Overall it did me no good to try and buy and sell stocks over the long run other than cause me stress.

So starting earlier this year (January) I started getting rid of my stocks and put some of the proceeds in fixed income and some in the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund. Granted I knew I was retiring this year so being more into safe investments was going to happen and I had a feeling that the great stock market run up was not going to sustain itself.

If I have any advice to offer the average investor like me is to just dump a monthly contribution into a low cost S&P 500 fund and not look at it, don't trade it, don't take it out and buy a car with it, just leave it alone and let it ride.

I sat down one day and started looking at the returns that I've made over the last 20 years. What I found out was that I spent a lot of time studying, researching and worrying about stocks for no damn good reason. Some years I was ahead and some behind what the S&P 500 did. Overall it did me no good to try and buy and sell stocks over the long run other than cause me stress.

So starting earlier this year (January) I started getting rid of my stocks and put some of the proceeds in fixed income and some in the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund. Granted I knew I was retiring this year so being more into safe investments was going to happen and I had a feeling that the great stock market run up was not going to sustain itself.

If I have any advice to offer the average investor like me is to just dump a monthly contribution into a low cost S&P 500 fund and not look at it, don't trade it, don't take it out and buy a car with it, just leave it alone and let it ride.

Generally one of the most important things is not timing the markets, but how long you're in the markets. Pulling out (no ttws please) and being on the sidelines for the best 5-10 up days per year absolutely crushes returns.

Generally one of the most important things is not timing the markets, but how long you're in the markets. Pulling out (no ttws please) and being on the sidelines for the best 5-10 up days per year absolutely crushes returns.
I absolutely agree. Never ever ever try and time the markets because you'll miss that big up day or week every time. But, if you never go in and out of the market and continually contribute every month you don't have to worry about timing the market. I took my money out because I have made enough and I wanted to preserve what I had and not see it go through another 2008/9 meltdown.

That is where the propaganda is, Hell, you just had Thunder come in here and admit that our navy is being used to maintain commercial shipping lanes.
Propaganda is an interesting and imho over used word. Kind of like hero. Anyway, keeping the shipping lanes open is defense of the USA. That being said, I think when we protect other countries' ships from Madagascar pirates, those countries should be paying for that service. Kind of the point Trump is making with the UN defense forces. And high time in my opinion.

AAPL lowering guidance.

Dv78hZPXcAEHVSX.jpg:large

Warren Buffet's Berhshire owns 252,478,000 shares of Apple. Holding was worth close to $59 billion on Oct. 3rd and will be around $22 billion tomorrow (if he still owns it). Ouch!
Apple was $232.07 on Oct. 3, and down to $146.10 in after hours trading today. That represents approximately a 37% loss.

A 37% loss from $59 billion still leaves a value $36.17 billion, by my calculations. What did I miss?

I just looked at the charts. Tomorrow will definitely set a new 52 week low. I wonder what Warren's average buy price was. $230 at the high... gonna be around $140. Ouch.

Apple was $232.07 on Oct. 3, and down to $146.10 in after hours trading today. That represents approximately a 37% loss.

A 37% loss from $59 billion still leaves a value $36.17 billion, by my calculations. What did I miss?

You're right. I keyed the loss not the value. The loss is about $22b. The value will be around $37b tomorrow at after hours prices.

VN Store

Back