Statement hire.

Hope so, but did you watch this season? No way that was Helton's offense after being taught by Brohm. Still afraid Pruitt will be like Smart and cater the offense to ball control and other old school, debunked concepts.
Not a debunked concept... not close to what UGA has done for the last two years. Being able to control the game will never be a "debunked" concept.

Also, you have vastly underestimated how difficult it is to run an O with a bad OL and a QB that can't read D's or make good decisions.

Huh? Shoop was great before UT... and is now great after. A coordinator can't make an awful HC better.

Shoop said his biggest mistake was trying to "fit in" to the Jones culture.

Pruitt may not be good but this is still a "statement".

No Sh!T!

I’ll eat my crow with a ton of hot sauce. After over 40 days, the search appeared to be aimless. But when Pruitt got Chaney interested, he and Fulmer (and the Administration) did what it took to get it done. This is a statement hire for the program and the SEC. Tennessee is not going to be outbid and is here to compete with the other top programs.

Some will say UGA no longer wanted Chaney, or that we overpaid, but they would be wrong on both accounts. UGA got into a bidding war with us and lost. It’s been reported that they wouldn’t match the last offer because it would have been disruptive to the staff. They wanted him to stay. Also, by making him one of the highest paid OCs in football, we are making clear to every coach out there that we are ready to do whatever it takes to retain the best and win.

While I don’t think this search unfolded necessarily as initially envisioned, when they saw an opportunity, they took it. I am heartened by that. It’s a change in mentality, and a significant one at that.

Crow rarely tastes so good 😉

Reactions: CA_Vol
Bob Shoop was a statement hire, as well...

Time will tell if it was a good statement or a bad statement.
Bob Shoop wasn't allowed to bring his staff. Mississippi State let him bring his guys and they finished 3rd in defense in ypg and 1st in ppg. Tennessee was the only stop where Shoop's defense looked bad. Wonder why that is?

Bob Shoop wasn't allowed to bring his staff. Mississippi State let him bring his guys and they finished 3rd in defense in ypg and 1st in ppg. Tennessee was the only stop where Shoop's defense looked bad. Wonder why that is?
You think he was allowed to “bring his guys” because it was a new staff...basically a blank slate? With Briles and some other OC candidates, we started hearing the narrative that it’s commonplace to allow a coordinator to pick his staff. Can’t think of any off the top of my head of coordinators hired to an existing staff. Briles only ended up bringing two GA’s to FAU fwiw.

Not a debunked concept... not close to what UGA has done for the last two years. Being able to control the game will never be a "debunked" concept.

Also, you have vastly underestimated how difficult it is to run an O with a bad OL and a QB that can't read D's or make good decisions.

Did you watch the NC game? Alabama was controlling the clock with a good ground game and still got boat raced. The best teams score early and often. Ball control is for the 4th quarter these days.

Did you watch the NC game? Alabama was controlling the clock with a good ground game and still got boat raced. The best teams score early and often. Ball control is for the 4th quarter these days.

Yup, I think Bama led ToP by some absurd amount. Auburn had like 4m ToP in their 1st half up 56-7 or so.

You are correct, and reseach supports you, it's only for the 4th quarter. Otherwise, yoi are just shortening the game and increasing the variance. And without very top talent, you're likely limiting your efficiency as well.

Bama didn't sustain drives and had turnovers. OU tried to "race" with Bama and got run over. Your cause-effect relationship doesn't hold.

Bob Shoop was a statement hire, as well...

Time will tell if it was a good statement or a bad statement.

If you believe Larry, Butch misled him about staff. If that’s the case, he wasn’t ever going to succeed here. Shoop’s been outstanding everywhere he’s been, so I put that one on old Butchie.

Yes.
They both scored early and often. Here's why Bama got run off the field, not the other gibberish.

Bama had 2 TO's (1 pick 6 and another that led to a TD). Clemson had no turnovers. - Clemson +14
Bama had 6 penalties for 60 yards. Clemson had 1 for 12 yards
Bama had 16 points, 16 mins into the game Clemson had 14 points - Clemson scored less than Bama "early".
Bama had drives in the second half that got to Clemson's 22, 14, and 1 yard lines. They failed to score any points. - At worse they missed 9 points (3 Fgs) Clemson + 9
Bama threw the ball 36 times to Clemson's 32
Bama ran the ball 37 times to Clemson's 31

Bama did get boat raced due to ball control just not the typical definition of it. And stalled drives that didn't produce points.

Yes.
They both scored early and often. Here's why Bama got run off the field, not the other gibberish.

Bama had 2 TO's (1 pick 6 and another that led to a TD). Clemson had no turnovers. - Clemson +14
Bama had 6 penalties for 60 yards. Clemson had 1 for 12 yards
Bama had 16 points, 16 mins into the game Clemson had 14 points - Clemson scored less than Bama "early".
Bama had drives in the second half that got to Clemson's 22, 14, and 1 yard lines. They failed to score any points. - At worse they missed 9 points (3 Fgs) Clemson + 9
Bama threw the ball 36 times to Clemson's 32
Bama ran the ball 37 times to Clemson's 31

Bama did get boat raced due to ball control just not the typical definition of it. And stalled drives that didn't produce points.

Bama could control the clock with the run but it didn't matter, Clemson scored as quickly as possible as often as possible and did so until the 4th quarter. That's the point and how the game works now. Grinding 8 minutes off the clock and kicking a fg doesn't work at the top levels any more. You have to outscore the best teams and in order to do so you better learn to score as fast and as often as possible. In other words, the system Tennessee tried to use last season doesn't work.

Bama could control the clock with the run but it didn't matter, Clemson scored as quickly as possible as often as possible and did so until the 4th quarter. That's the point and how the game works now. Grinding 8 minutes off the clock and kicking a fg doesn't work at the top levels any more. You have to outscore the best teams and in order to do so you better learn to score as fast and as often as possible. In other words, the system Tennessee tried to use last season doesn't work.

TOP is irrelevant either way. They dont give you the ball back if you score faster.

Bama attempted 1 FG in the game
Clemson attempted 1 FG in the game

The idea that Bama was "grinding" it out to kick a FG is false and a silly notion.

Both teams had ample chances to score a lot of points. One did and the other turned over, accrued penalties and got stopped.

The facts of the game are not with you.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
TOP is irrelevant either way. They dont give you the ball back if you score faster.

Bama attempted 1 FG in the game
Clemson attempted 1 FG in the game

The idea that Bama was "grinding" it out to kick a FG is false and a silly notion.

Both teams had ample chances to score a lot of points. One did and the other turned over, accrued penalties and got stopped.

The facts of the game are not with you.

I'm not saying that's what Bama was doing, I'm saying that was what Pruitt was doing and it doesn't work any more. Bama COULD HAVE dominated time of possession even more and ran the ball more. But Clemson was scoring so easily and quickly it didn't matter in that game. My point is, you have to score now. Grind it out, ball control offense is dead as a viable way to win football games. Dead here and it's even dead in the NFL where defenses used to be even more key to winning.

I'm not saying that's what Bama was doing, I'm saying that was what Pruitt was doing and it doesn't work any more. Bama COULD HAVE dominated time of possession even more and ran the ball more. But Clemson was scoring so easily and quickly it didn't matter in that game. My point is, you have to score now. Grind it out, ball control offense is dead as a viable way to win football games. Dead here and it's even dead in the NFL where defenses used to be even more key to winning.

Whats your suggestion for an OL where on a good play you ve got "2 Missisi...." before your QB gets decleated?

If you score in 2 mins opposed to 5 mins do they give you more points?

I’ll eat my crow with a ton of hot sauce. After over 40 days, the search appeared to be aimless. But when Pruitt got Chaney interested, he and Fulmer (and the Administration) did what it took to get it done. This is a statement hire for the program and the SEC. Tennessee is not going to be outbid and is here to compete with the other top programs.

Some will say UGA no longer wanted Chaney, or that we overpaid, but they would be wrong on both accounts. UGA got into a bidding war with us and lost. It’s been reported that they wouldn’t match the last offer because it would have been disruptive to the staff. They wanted him to stay. Also, by making him one of the highest paid OCs in football, we are making clear to every coach out there that we are ready to do whatever it takes to retain the best and win.

While I don’t think this search unfolded necessarily as initially envisioned, when they saw an opportunity, they took it. I am heartened by that. It’s a change in mentality, and a significant one at that.
I agree.
Agree. But isn’t he set to be THE highest paid OC in the country?
That is a positive, not a negative. It's about time we paid top dollar for a coach.

Whats your suggestion for an OL where on a good play you ve got "2 Missisi...." before your QB gets decleated?

If you score in 2 mins opposed to 5 mins do they give you more points?
Hell if we gonna play the state game if he got to 2 Utah on many plays color me surprised.

I agree.

That is a positive, not a negative. It's about time we paid top dollar for a coach.
Some on here acting like we’re pulling that money away from something vital. It’s all slated for football. Now instead of cosmetic changes to facilities, we spend it on football minds. Success brings in even more money. Steps towards a right mindset.

Some on here acting like we’re pulling that money away from something vital. It’s all slated for football. Now instead of cosmetic changes to facilities, we spend it on football minds. Success brings in even more money. Steps towards a right mindset.
Amen and amen.

I notice every time someone creates a thread there is always a big % of people ripping on him and criticizing it. I think that serves to discourage guys from making new posts. Who needs the hassle? I enjoy seeing new posts and even crazy off the wall stuff that generates discussion. Just my 2 cents.

Without pages of squabbling male/female genitalia and how the introduction of sand into them is a determinant of coaching acumen, and "true freshmen" analogies, what ever would we read here?

VN Store

Back