Statement from Hurd on Twitter

He isn't the only five star on the team. You don't take 2 wr's off the field and change your playbook for 1 guy. I don't believe that the scheme is the problem. It was Hurd's attitude.

Sure you don't change your scheme for one guy but you do if it helps you win more games.

If Butch was determined to keep Jalen as our starting RB he should have incorporated more I formation plays into the offense. That would have utilized his starting RBs strengths more and it would have helped us win more games.

If he didn't want to adapt the scheme to fit his starting RB then he should have played Kamara and Kelly more.

Butch Jones just picked the worst possible option. He tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. He tried to force a downhill bruising RB to play like a zone read runner. Poor coaching on his part.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't make sense to me. Not sure how injuries play into transferring and how the style of offense would matter if he's wanting to play wr or te.

Regarding the spread option, Marshawn Lynch had the best years of his career in the spread and retired with 9000 career rushing yards. It's in part on qb play. Yes... Dobbs' inability to read the defense in option runs has probably factored in to the decision to transfer but for Hurd to blame the scheme is foolish.

Well with respect to scheme... ours sucks. Its amateurish. Ask any NFL back how they feel about running out of the gun, they hate it.

Lol...Literally read this as I watched an NFL RB take a handoff out of the shotgun.

Reactions: 3 people
This has been beaten to death. It might have been ugly behind the curtain, but both Jalen and the coaching staff have been publicly cordial.

Let's not push it beyond that. Sure there are plenty of questions about where and when the seeds of discontent were first sown. Who is to blame?

Bottom line, Jalen was a significant part of UT for the last 2.5 seasons. He ran a lot. We'd have lost the App State game if he didn't hustle onto Dobb's fumble. Lots of GOOD came out of Hurd.

Many think he screwed up. However that doesn't matter. If he's happy with his decision, then that is all that really matters. I'm tired of thinking about it. Tired of reading threads about it. Leave it as a publicly cordial split and move on.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Reactions: 2 people
When a player or coach steps away from the game, or the team, or the area there is typically one overwhelming sentiment shared by almost everyone in that situation. You will normally hear them thank the organization, and the coaches, (even if there was conflict or even ill feelings). They will thank the fans, and family, and even the people of the area sometimes.. BUT they will always speak of their teammates, their fellow warriors, the TEAM. Its their family. Its what most players say they miss the most!

But I haven't heard that from Jalen, not once. When he got injured during the first game of his SR. year of HS, he chose to forego his remaining season and have corrective surgery on his shoulder to be ready for college. That was his right, and I think it was his best decision. Some teammates weren't happy as they felt he could have waited on the surgery and stayed and helped the team. Some, not all. But that hurt Jalen and his family. They were upset that 16 and 17 year old boys would question his decision.. Jalen chose to spend his Friday nights in Knoxville, helping Tennessee recruit his future teammates. For the most part, Jalen was through with his high school teammates.
Now, 3 years later, Jalen is through with this group of teammates. The ones he helped persuade to be his teammates. And with his nice and classy tweet explaining why he left, not one sentence to his team, or his teammates.. just curious if you ask me..

He is gone. It's over. If he makes the league, I hope he first plays his final year somewhere. I don't really think Beech or the Vols want him introducing himself and naming him if they consider him a quitter.

I am also waiting for everyone to get over wanting to discuss him. IMO, he is no longer worth it.

Reactions: 1 person
For those on Twitter...go check out the video from Quarte Sapp. Shows Hurd in the locker room.

Excuse me but I didn't know NFL scouts had an official website with player rankings?

LOL @ taking some guy's opinion on a website as gospel. Sites like walterfootball.com know nothing. They're simply giving us their opinion. At this time last year I'm betting they had Derrick Henry as a first rounder and probably didn't have Carson Wentz anywhere near the first round.

And FYI Jalen Hurd is WAY MORE talented than Derrick Henry. And he'll prove it once he gets to the NFL.

Let me guess you are spewing nothing but facts ?
Coming from the guy who had Dobbs winning the Heisman and 1st rd pick and all world QB and to top it off ,you have Hurd better than Henry.

Attachments

• 14364648_10208974350468457_7428631147042747578_n.jpg
    14364648_10208974350468457_7428631147042747578_n.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 123
Still the same question.... What could possibly be so unbearable that he'd walk out on his teammates in October with only 5 games left that wouldn't have affected his ability to transfer and have the same eligibility somewhere else. All he had to do was wait one more month.

Good luck. Hope it works out for him. But.....BS detector is redlined.

70 other people who you see day in and day out could do that to a 20 year old. Big part of football is being part of a team. If you quit on the team, they will quit on you. This was a professional choice like when a player holds out in the NFL, this was a guy who quit midseason, when things didn't go his way. I understand transferring after the season and being part of the team, but you can quit on your friends an teamates!

Excuse me but I didn't know NFL scouts had an official website with player rankings?

LOL @ taking some guy's opinion on a website as gospel. Sites like walterfootball.com know nothing. They're simply giving us their opinion. At this time last year I'm betting they had Derrick Henry as a first rounder and probably didn't have Carson Wentz anywhere near the first round.

And FYI Jalen Hurd is WAY MORE talented than Derrick Henry. And he'll prove it once he gets to the NFL.

1. He isn't better than Henry, 2. Henry was always listed as a 2nd rounder and possibly a late 1st rnd pk in the 29-32 pk, pump your brakes on Wentz the jury is still out on him, and Henry has done damn good in a limited role behind a top 5 NFL rb in Murray.

Reactions: 2 people
Hurd was as dominate running the football his Fr year as Jamal Lewis was. Defenses keyed on him and he still turned in a great performance. Same for soph year.

Lets flip this a little bit....

What coach do you know of that wouldn't adjust his offense to the strengths of a 5* RB - especially one that performed on the field - time-after-time?

This post only certifies that CBJ is incredibly stubborn as most of the U of Cinn fan boards said when he left. If he could have had a H-back or FB blocking for him even 1/4 of the time, he'd be in contention for the Heisman. Just another example of talent being under-utilized at UT.

I agree with this as Alabama has totally adjusted its offense for Hurts. This is what big time coaches do.
Saban and Kiffin came together and modified thngs for their qb who is lacking in the throw game. So they improvised to suit his stronger talents. Ppl while I think Kamara and Kelly are better suitedfor the offense, if Hurd is you #1 guy and ask for help to preserve his body and says their is concern over all his injuries and a bad OL as HC you have to listen and do what is in the best interest f your start player. Your recruiting is helped by seeing him inSunday, Monday, or Thursday saying your school name. Its kind of like CBJtrying to force the read ootion with Worley, and refused to changed to Dobbs until Worley's body couldn't take anymore.

What embarrassment?

As I predicted Goff and Henry have been busts. While Wentz (my top ranked QB) and Elliott (my top overall prospect) have been studs.

My other bold picks like Kelvin Taylor being a good RB have not come to fruition YET....but we've got alot of time left. Remember it's only 8 games into their rookie seasons.

We won't know who is good and who ain't for another 2 years.

Please explain how Henry has been a bust this year??

Also, Dobbs is not going to get drafted. I love that he is the quarterback of our Vols, but he is not good enough to get drafted. So yes, your projections do suck.

Best of luck Jalen. Sometimes you do what you have to do. Everyone may not like it, but if you think it's best you've got to do it. I don't have an issue with you walking away if you were just fed up with empty promises that never transpired.

"He should have waited till the season's over".

That's like waiting to dump a GF who cheated on you in January in late February because Valentine's day is coming up. "I wanted to do the right thing". LOL

Actually like waiting so you can get laid. Hurd was that close to the rushing record.

VN Store

Back