Stadium Downtown

Because people who live in the middle of nowhere are a little different than urban dwellers. Maybe they will find it fun. No need to be a prick.

Baseball is baseball. Urban or rural it doesn’t matter you either like the sport or you don’t. Honestly, baseball does better in urban environments anyway because it’s easier to attract large crowds looking for something to do outdoors while drinking. This is coming from an “urban dweller” who has seen it first hand with both minor league and major league teams.

I would like for UT Baseball be played on campus with easy access for students and in walking distance from athletic dorms. Multi level parking decks for all sports sure would be nice even if some are off campus with bus transportation access. Having to share a facility with the Smokies does not appeal to me. JMO.

We attended the graduation program and had dinner in old city. Been awhile since I visited the Memphis minor league stadium and Beale Street but, have been to Pensacola and Wahoos stadium. Sounds like a good project for UT engineering and architect students. Design a best value multi-purpose stadium in and area where the taxpayers get a big return on investment, draw tourist and visitors, add security and parking garage(s) that pay for use. I give the concept a thumbs up. Schedule softball and baseball to get maximum use as well as concerts and events.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I would like for UT Baseball be played on campus with easy access for students and in walking distance from athletic dorms. Multi level parking decks for all sports sure would be nice even if some are off campus with bus transportation access. Having to share a facility with the Smokies does not appeal to me. JMO.

how many students are going to these games, compared to others? Hell, i have UT football tickets because students wouldn't fill up their allotment anymore.

the extra efforts you're considering for staying on campus in the existing location can all be solved if they played or split time at the old city location. minimal cost to UT as opposed to funding efforts to revamp the entire campus area now.

I am reading Tony Vitello is open to having our BaseVols play in Randy Boyd’s stadium. I’ve reached out to Randy on a couple of occasions regarding my concern that his stadium may wind up being a vacant structure that will cost millions to destroy because you cannot repurpose it if the market isn’t their to sustain a minor league baseball team.

I suggested high rise condos, work/live spaces, and apartments that envelope a park that has nice paver sidewalks lined with speakers that play Tennessee Orchestra, park benches, sculptures, solar lighting, trees, grassy fields for picnics and recreation that perhaps even contain easels, fountains, dog poop bags stations, etc that all lead to a fancy grocery store such as a Harris Teeter or Trader Joe’s, with perhaps other businesses and a parking garage.

Instead it seems Knoxville is rolling the dice on this baseball stadium. That said, I do sincerely hope it works and it would be a smart financial decision for the University and for the project to have Vols Baseball there.

My only concern is that the games will draw kids who are barely teenagers and some who are not even old enough to drink into an area that has a lot of rifraff and debauchery. If I had a daughter in school, I would NOT want her going to these games at night or hanging out in this area. It simply wasn’t designated for that type of thing. If they do this, the stadium and surrounding areas should be loaded with security guards/police.

I’m curious what the parents on here think and beyond. Would you feel comfortable?

I feel like in a city the size of Knox, if you build it they will come, but planning is key. A stadium to mimic would be the one in Greenville, SC. The 1A Sox built Fluor field on the west end of downtown when it was ho hum and the development around it has been busy. They already have lofts in the outfield where people can watch from their balconies, a party plaza on top of the bank building adjacent to it and a mini-replica of the green monstah. They are building more lofts along the first base side and a new Joe Jackson museum. The mayor added a free trolley route that goes thru the local neighborhoods and takes you to the stadium for free.

Fluor Field at the West End - Wikipedia
http://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...x615_003909d7-f0a6-4194-b9ce-c7c1a975e3cd.jpg

I feel like in a city the size of Knox, if you build it they will come, but planning is key. A stadium to mimic would be the one in Greenville, SC. The 1A Sox built Fluor field on the west end of downtown when it was ho hum and the development around it has been busy. They already have lofts in the outfield where people can watch from their balconies, a party plaza on top of the bank building adjacent to it and a mini-replica of the green monstah. They are building more lofts along the first base side and a new Joe Jackson museum. The mayor added a free trolley route that goes thru the local neighborhoods and takes you to the stadium for free.

Fluor Field at the West End - Wikipedia
http://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...x615_003909d7-f0a6-4194-b9ce-c7c1a975e3cd.jpg
5 story apartment building has already been built in the Old City. And rooftop to watch the Smokies. It's happening.

The stadium for Tennessee baseball needs to stay on campus.Period.If not, let 's put a new basketball colosseum in Seymour(spelling).UT sports,UT campus!

how many students are going to these games, compared to others? Hell, i have UT football tickets because students wouldn't fill up their allotment anymore.

the extra efforts you're considering for staying on campus in the existing location can all be solved if they played or split time at the old city location. minimal cost to UT as opposed to funding efforts to revamp the entire campus area now.
That’s because the team SUCKS.
Hell, the baseball stadium is next to frat row and what did the AD ever do to promote attendance? They built the stadium blocking the view. Students get in free l, so they could have built a Greek grandstand in the 1st base side.

Winning changes everything! And I'm thrilled about the future of Vols baseball. However, people getting their panties in a wad about the supposed threat to LNS and the the smokies stadium is ridiculous. So what if the Vols play a few games there when the smokies travel?

I think it's mistake to move from Sevier Co .. older folks will NOT go downtown inner city to ballgames ...people like going 30 mins up 40 .. and shopping and eating before games and after... I live in knoxville but I would go to more games at 407 than 10 mins to downtown

I am reading Tony Vitello is open to having our BaseVols play in Randy Boyd’s stadium. I’ve reached out to Randy on a couple of occasions regarding my concern that his stadium may wind up being a vacant structure that will cost millions to destroy because you cannot repurpose it if the market isn’t their to sustain a minor league baseball team.

I suggested high rise condos, work/live spaces, and apartments that envelope a park that has nice paver sidewalks lined with speakers that play Tennessee Orchestra, park benches, sculptures, solar lighting, trees, grassy fields for picnics and recreation that perhaps even contain easels, fountains, dog poop bags stations, etc that all lead to a fancy grocery store such as a Harris Teeter or Trader Joe’s, with perhaps other businesses and a parking garage.

Instead it seems Knoxville is rolling the dice on this baseball stadium. That said, I do sincerely hope it works and it would be a smart financial decision for the University and for the project to have Vols Baseball there.

My only concern is that the games will draw kids who are barely teenagers and some who are not even old enough to drink into an area that has a lot of rifraff and debauchery. If I had a daughter in school, I would NOT want her going to these games at night or hanging out in this area. It simply wasn’t designated for that type of thing. If they do this, the stadium and surrounding areas should be loaded with security guards/police.

I’m curious what the parents on here think and beyond. Would you feel comfortable?

I remember what the World's Fair park area was like before construction began. I also remember what the old city was like before it was revitalized. Time changes everything, but nothing happens overnight. But with the proper infrastructure and planning, the riff raff and debauchery you speak of can be minimized. Just as a breakdown in infrastructure and planning could turn the most elite neighborhoods in Knoxville into sewers in 30 or 40 years.

As to your safety concerns? Hell that can happen anywhere. So, if you ever have that daughter, make sure she is taught common sense from an early age, and to travel in groups of trustworthy peers. And do not defund the police. Now you know why I stay in Greenback.

Coach V wants UT to play on campus. He’s made that very clear to AD White. I’m sure he would be open to playing an occasional non-conference game at Boyd’s downtown stadium but it wouldn‘t be his first choice.

Coach V doesn’t want to play off campus. He’s made it clear to the AD that he wants the stadium to remain on campus.

I agree. Nothing like the campus atmosphere. However, a nice downtown minor league park with more seating than a refurbished LNS would be a nice asset to have in the back pocket for regionals and super regionals and other high ticket demand series.

Knoxville can sustain both.

If they can put something together like the ballpark in Durham or Chatty, that’d be fantastic.

I think it's mistake to move from Sevier Co .. older folks will NOT go downtown inner city to ballgames ...people like going 30 mins up 40 .. and shopping and eating before games and after... I live in knoxville but I would go to more games at 407 than 10 mins to downtown

Bruh.

I’m 45, and I know a dozen of my contemporaries that would be on the opposite side of this equation.

Leave Sevierville to the snowbirds. They’re a great revenue stream!

Yeah, I may be off, but the OP reads like the OPer hasn’t been to the old city in several years.
True. Other than the occasional homeless asking for money, minimal issues in the area. Most of the crime is committed more off of Magnolia in that area. Plus, once the stadium is in and there is more foot traffic, people living in condos, shopping, etc. that traffic will be driven out. Honestly, the area behind the strip on UT campus could be seen as worse with crime.

VN Store

Back