Stadium Downtown

I didn’t think the old city was dangerous even 10 years ago. It has certainly only improved since then, one would believe.
There is almost always a decent police presence from the old city to the weigels on east summit hill, from what I remember..

And for the person who mentioned the area behind the strip being more dangerous than the old city. I agree. I think grand forest apartments and that area far down 17th into mechanicsville is sketchier by far. I remember a murder taking place at grand forest when I lived in the fort. Every other place around campus and downtown always felt very safe to me, day or night. Bring on the baseball stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: slobberknocker
And clinch I think

That site is bifurcated by a stream, which is converted to a pond along part of it's stretch. neither of the two sides of the stream is enough space for a stadium, IMO. The entire site looks large enough for a stadium, but they would have to divert the stream to one side or another to have enough continuous space, which is probably a non starter.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I thought you guys may like this website about the downtown stadium and the push for it:

Baseball Stadium | Knoxville, TN

The site includes drawings of the stadium as well as construction webcams
Aerial-view-from-West.jpg

We all would prefer an on-campus stadium. But let's be honest; the AA level stadium built from scratch will be nicer than anything Lindsey Nelson can be converted to anytime soon. I would kill to own one of the condo's looking down into the stadium.

The new stadium will be just over 2 miles by car from Lindsey Nelson Stadium and 1.5 miles from the Student Union

Again, I'm not trying to talk you out of on campus. Just explaining the positives of such a move

(1) The city foots the construction costs instead of school. At least most of it
(2) More seating and amenities
(3) Nicer Park
(4) Committing before actual construction begins would likely give Tony Vitello and the UTAD input into construction.
(5) The Vols would likely be the sole tenant until the Kodak lease expires
(6) Easier access for fans commuting from across or out of town
(7) Great pre and post game "activities"
(8) Money for construction could be used on other priority projects

Negatives
(1) Not as ready access by on campus students- Keep in mind, fewer students live on campus now than ever before
(2) Revenue would likely be shared with city and Smokies
(3) Some late season scheduling difficulties (AA seasons begins first week of March)
(4) Parking may not be free
(5) Suite sharing. Will UT suite owners like sharing same suites as Smokies suite owners.

Last edited:
Tennessee should do what clemson does. They play majority of home games on campus, but designate a few big series a year at Fluor Field in Greenville SC.

Maybe SEC and bigger OOC games at the new place and rest at LNS..... with the turf, maintenance on the existing facility would not be an issue. Don't know how they do the season ticket thing though. If acceptance and demand requires more games at the big place so be it.... Kind of believe the location for the students is not an issue. Bet they visit the market square and the the old city a lot. Can't believe the number of places revitalized and the quantity of new housing being built that way. It is a gamble that can be rectified with return to LNS if the agreement is carefully crafted if you maintain the old place. Bet shuttles if needed would not be a problem, might be able to put the area on standard routes and just salt in a few more on game days.

Reactions: kcvols1
It does seem odd to be discussing a new AA ballpark downtown and another huge investment at LNS / or new LSN on campus.
Would it be possible to have both AA locker room and Vols locker rooms in the same stadium, separated?
Tony likes the turf as well, wonder what the plans for the downtown facility are?
Would sponsorship and billboards be interchangeable ? One night it's Smokies, next night it's Vols?
What about practice times? So many questions.

Reactions: fryeguy93
That would be the murder Weigels as known locally.
Not the place you want to stop for wizz and a coffee.

Yea that was always kind of the cutt off point of safety for me. When I was there it was pretty safe on the downtown side of that weigels. Past that it’s definitely sketchy. Western ave, to the Pilot in mechanicsville and grand forest the same.

Reactions: Zues1
After seeing Mississippi State's ballpark I am awestruck. I am certain that with proper planning LNS can be modified, but seeing the renderings of the Smokies stadium it certainly would be an upgrade. I'm not certain why a stadium 2 miles from the existing one is such a bad idea. The University is running our of space or will eventually. The average college student, on any campus in the U.S., walks well over 2 miles to get to classes every day. I have not seen a single argument that can't be over come with some though and pre-planning.

Unless you are a major donor, or have advertising money to support the project, we don't have say so anyway. GBO! See y'all in Omaha.

That site is bifurcated by a stream, which is converted to a pond along part of it's stretch. neither of the two sides of the stream is enough space for a stadium, IMO. The entire site looks large enough for a stadium, but they would have to divert the stream to one side or another to have enough continuous space, which is probably a non starter.
It seems too narrow IMO. Maybe the East management plant will move to another city owned piece of land and will simply reroute everything. Nothing but a thing right? 🤣

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
It does seem odd to be discussing a new AA ballpark downtown and another huge investment at LNS / or new LSN on campus.
Would it be possible to have both AA locker room and Vols locker rooms in the same stadium, separated?
Tony likes the turf as well, wonder what the plans for the downtown facility are?
Would sponsorship and billboards be interchangeable ? One night it's Smokies, next night it's Vols?
What about practice times? So many questions.

No one wants the Vols to play at the downtown stadium. That's just a ruse in an effort to gain support for a professional stadium back in Ktown. Can't you guys see through that? I don't want to go there myself. The current Smokies site in Kodak is clean and a wonderful setting for baseball. Not ( thank God) surrounded by a city....out in the fresh country air. Strictly a baseball setting. I'll drive the extra distance to go to a place like that. Downtown or back in Ktown? No, thanks. I'll pass.

I've worked in the Old City the past couple of years and there's just as much "riffraff" at West Town mall as at the Old City. People making comments haven't even seen the positive expansion going on there.

I love the idea. I think it would a great experience for our kids, our fans, visiting team, and visiting fans. I think it is a win - win for all parties.

Reactions: slobberknocker
I’ve not cared about baseball since I was a child. That is until the most recent run by the BaseVols.

So I can’t speak to anything other than this. If the Vols win in baseball I’ll be interested and bring my large family with me to games. We’ll spend money and overtime UT will gain real dedication from us in that sport.

Kind of the exact opposite as what the football program has done.

If Knoxville uses Nashville as a model, they can totally refurbish a depresses area with housing, retail and other establishments in the area. The Sounds stadium wasn’t initially planned in a great area but it has turned it into a great area.

The only reason the Vols should ever play in the Smokies stadium is if we’re playing the Smokies.

Dawgs and Jackets often play a set in Truist Park before spring training.

It puts butts in seats and is a nice perk for the kids.

Duke plays most of their games in the Bulls’ stadium, and has even played the Bulls head to head for giggles. Bulls, Duke Square Off in Battle in the Bull City

It’s baseball. It’s a game that’s supposed to be fun. Let them have fun.

Reactions: HalfullVol and txbo
After seeing Mississippi State's ballpark I am awestruck. I am certain that with proper planning LNS can be modified, but seeing the renderings of the Smokies stadium it certainly would be an upgrade. I'm not certain why a stadium 2 miles from the existing one is such a bad idea. The University is running our of space or will eventually. The average college student, on any campus in the U.S., walks well over 2 miles to get to classes every day. I have not seen a single argument that can't be over come with some though and pre-planning.

Unless you are a major donor, or have advertising money to support the project, we don't have say so anyway. GBO! See y'all in Omaha.
I looked at LNS on Google Earth. It's a tight fit - I don't see how you would get a MSU size stadium in the same footprint without losing a road and some fraternity parking. The railroad tracks and electrical substation are "immoveable objects" (until the governor get's involved)..

Anybody seen the drawing on a napkin of any proposed mods to LNS?
1624113347110.png

VN Store

Back