Stadium Downtown

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
I am reading Tony Vitello is open to having our BaseVols play in Randy Boyd’s stadium. I’ve reached out to Randy on a couple of occasions regarding my concern that his stadium may wind up being a vacant structure that will cost millions to destroy because you cannot repurpose it if the market isn’t their to sustain a minor league baseball team.

I suggested high rise condos, work/live spaces, and apartments that envelope a park that has nice paver sidewalks lined with speakers that play Tennessee Orchestra, park benches, sculptures, solar lighting, trees, grassy fields for picnics and recreation that perhaps even contain easels, fountains, dog poop bags stations, etc that all lead to a fancy grocery store such as a Harris Teeter or Trader Joe’s, with perhaps other businesses and a parking garage.

Instead it seems Knoxville is rolling the dice on this baseball stadium. That said, I do sincerely hope it works and it would be a smart financial decision for the University and for the project to have Vols Baseball there.

My only concern is that the games will draw kids who are barely teenagers and some who are not even old enough to drink into an area that has a lot of rifraff and debauchery. If I had a daughter in school, I would NOT want her going to these games at night or hanging out in this area. It simply wasn’t designated for that type of thing. If they do this, the stadium and surrounding areas should be loaded with security guards/police.

I’m curious what the parents on here think and beyond. Would you feel comfortable?

Bowling Green, KY had a similar situation when they brought in their Single-A team, the Hot Rods. The area they built the stadium in was not the greatest area in Bowling Green. However, after the stadium was built, the area was revitalized and few issues were seen. I think bringing a stadium to the Old City area will drastically improve life in the vicinity and there will be even less concern than there is now. Plus, the park over there near the proposed ballpark location is a very nice park. I think any concern about issues are way overblown.

I still don't understand what or how they plan to handle parking. For it to prove viable, I think you need to be able to park at the stadium. I think the plan includes too many condo's and other amenities at the expense of parking. I agree that you can throw a rock to some very sketchy areas in East Knoxville, so security should be a concern. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Is this satire?

If the Smokies are sustainable in the middle of nowhere, what makes you think bringing them to the 4th largest city in the state and a major metropolitan area would make them unsustainable?

People have been clamoring for baseball to come back to downtown for years. I think you underestimate just how popular it would be here.

As for the “unsafe” conditions, that’s just nonsense. There is nothing unsafe about the area the park is slated to be built. Besides, building a brand new multi-million ballpark and amenities will probably end up gentrifying the area and kick out the riff raff you’re worried about.

I can promise you that this new ballpark won’t be a “vacant structure.”

I am reading Tony Vitello is open to having our BaseVols play in Randy Boyd’s stadium. I’ve reached out to Randy on a couple of occasions regarding my concern that his stadium may wind up being a vacant structure that will cost millions to destroy because you cannot repurpose it if the market isn’t their to sustain a minor league baseball team.

I suggested high rise condos, work/live spaces, and apartments that envelope a park that has nice paver sidewalks lined with speakers that play Tennessee Orchestra, park benches, sculptures, solar lighting, trees, grassy fields for picnics and recreation that perhaps even contain easels, fountains, dog poop bags stations, etc that all lead to a fancy grocery store such as a Harris Teeter or Trader Joe’s, with perhaps other businesses and a parking garage.

Instead it seems Knoxville is rolling the dice on this baseball stadium. That said, I do sincerely hope it works and it would be a smart financial decision for the University and for the project to have Vols Baseball there.

My only concern is that the games will draw kids who are barely teenagers and some who are not even old enough to drink into an area that has a lot of rifraff and debauchery. If I had a daughter in school, I would NOT want her going to these games at night or hanging out in this area. It simply wasn’t designated for that type of thing. If they do this, the stadium and surrounding areas should be loaded with security guards/police.

I’m curious what the parents on here think and beyond. Would you feel comfortable?
When Randy gets back to you, ask him if he has any super tickets to spare.
Asking for a friend(txbo)
GBO!!

The long time residents in area are complaining about the gentrification and the people who obviously have never been there are complaining that it's a crime ridden cesspool waiting to give tetanus and VDs to our nation's youth.

So. I'm guess it's in between those two and nicely postured

Seriously, until the pandemic; I worked everyday in the area (that office has since been closed and the building sold to a church)
I loved the area. The breweries and tasting rooms. My favorite food in all of Knoxville is at the Jig & Reel. (Hardly a dive bar or hole)
There's an upscale steakhouse I can't afford.
I can't afford the condos or apartments and those that I could afford never have vacancies.

This area is IDEAL for a baseball stadium as it has more parking that similar areas in other cities and with all the other development (ie gentrification) on Central Ave/Happy Holler and Parkridge it will be even better. My dream is to have a condo looking into the ballpark!!!! Semi retiring and becoming an usher at Smokies and UT games.

Is this satire?

If the Smokies are sustainable in the middle of nowhere, what makes you think bringing them to the 4th largest city in the state and a major metropolitan area would make them unsustainable?

People have been clamoring for baseball to come back to downtown for years. I think you underestimate just how popular it would be here.

As for the “unsafe” conditions, that’s just nonsense. There is nothing unsafe about the area the park is slated to be built. Besides, building a brand new multi-million ballpark and amenities will probably end up gentrifying the area and kick out the riff raff you’re worried about.

When did Chattanooga pass up Knoxville? I thought K-town was third largest city.

Last edited:
I'm fine w a stadium downtown for the Smokies, but I don't think UT should play their games there.

I agree. Nothing like the campus atmosphere. However, a nice downtown minor league park with more seating than a refurbished LNS would be a nice asset to have in the back pocket for regionals and super regionals and other high ticket demand series.

I agree. Nothing like the campus atmosphere. However, a nice downtown minor league park with more seating than a refurbished LNS would be a nice asset to have in the back pocket for regionals and super regionals and other high ticket demand series.
I loved being able to take the short stroll to LN when I was living on campus. And when I was off campus, I had a parking pass and still had a short stroll. I think it's a non-starter to require students to take a shuttle or something to the old city for a ut sporting event.

The long time residents in area are complaining about the gentrification and the people who obviously have never been there are complaining that it's a crime ridden cesspool waiting to give tetanus and VDs to our nation's youth.

So. I'm guess it's in between those two and nicely postured

Seriously, until the pandemic; I worked everyday in the area (that office has since been closed and the building sold to a church)
I loved the area. The breweries and tasting rooms. My favorite food in all of Knoxville is at the Jig & Reel. (Hardly a dive bar or hole)
There's an upscale steakhouse I can't afford.
I can't afford the condos or apartments and those that I could afford never have vacancies.

This area is IDEAL for a baseball stadium as it has more parking that similar areas in other cities and with all the other development (ie gentrification) on Central Ave/Happy Holler and Parkridge it will be even better. My dream is to have a condo looking into the ballpark!!!! Semi retiring and becoming an usher at Smokies and UT games.
Good insights. I do hope it works.

Is this satire?

Because people who live in the middle of nowhere are a little different than urban dwellers. Maybe they will find it fun. No need to be a prick.

When Randy gets back to you, ask him if he has any super tickets to spare.
Asking for a friend(txbo)
GBO!!
Randy’s plan changed as soon as I contacted him. I have been calling for a high density project for years. I sent him my ideas and he combined them with my concerns for the stadium. You are welcome.

VN Store

Back