Stability of staff.

Not an insider. But..I can promise that every single Vol fan who is in Florida for the bowl game can get free parking at Disney Springs in Orlando.

Getting through the traffic to get in that place is comparable to sitting in rod run traffic in Pigeon Forge (at least back in the 90s, not sure how it is now) NO THANKS!!!! Plus once you get in you'll pay Disney prices and there they say, "Please pay these prices, and please pay MORE." (because you'll be broke when you leave)

UPDATE: The days of Tennessee out-recruiting Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida are over. We out-recruited everyone we should have out-recruited (except maybe Auburn). The sooner people accept this, the better. They'll always sign higher ranked classes than us, but we can close the gap with player development
and staff continuity.

Care to share with the rest of us how you arrived at this conclusion?

Final thought: if I had guess which staff member will leave first for another coaching position, it would be Tee Martin.
You were doing fine until that...:oops:. I want at least one VFL on staff. Sentimental? Maybe. And though his playing days are 20+ years in that past, isn't there some value of some sort attached to legacy for the program? Like Cafego back in the olden days.

Reactions: Jhilly05
Care to share with the rest of us how you arrived at this conclusion?
It's a fairly common idea. The other states simply produce more talent than Tennessee does.

Look at Florida, for example. Dan Mullen was considered an average-at-best recruiter when he was at MSU. Then he goes to Florida and has signed two top ten classes. LSU is the only major university in an extremely talent rich state. Same could be said for Georgia since Georgia Tech is, well... Georgia Tech. Texas A&M is the only SEC school in Texas, and we've all heard about the mass of talent Texas produces every year. The only thing keeping Kentucky and South Carolina from recruiting on our level every year is facilities and tradition.

I have heard [not from close sources] rumors that at least one Defensive and one offensive assistant coaches will not be retained. Both are not just poor recruiters but both do not give maximum effort in recruiting. They believe they are above recruiting. Both probably need to be coaching in the nfl.

Reactions: savannahfan
Getting through the traffic to get in that place is comparable to sitting in rod run traffic in Pigeon Forge (at least back in the 90s, not sure how it is now) NO THANKS!!!! Plus once you get in you'll pay Disney prices and there they say, "Please pay these prices, and please pay MORE." (because you'll be broke when you leave)
Parking is free though!

Reactions: VOLSONLY
It's a fairly common idea. The other states simply produce more talent than Tennessee does.

Look at Florida, for example. Dan Mullen was considered an average-at-best recruiter when he was at MSU. Then he goes to Florida and has signed two top ten classes. LSU is the only major university in an extremely talent rich state. Same could be said for Georgia since Georgia Tech is, well... Georgia Tech. Texas A&M is the only SEC school in Texas, and we've all heard about the mass of talent Texas produces every year. The only thing keeping Kentucky and South Carolina from recruiting on our level every year is facilities and tradition.
I think the problem is people look at recruiting like the ap top 25 when it's not that way. You still have to coach and develop. If you are getting the 10 guys you need and developing the other 15, you can win with a top 10 class. State borders have never been more irrelevant. Not every kid in Georgia is a bulldog fan. Not every kid in Tennessee is a vols fan. Some kids want to leave home as we have seen with several Knoxville kids. Most of your top talent are looking for a place to go that can develop them for the NFL. Yes you have to have the jimmies and the Joe's but development and coaching wins championships.

I have heard [not from close sources] rumors that at least one Defensive and one offensive assistant coaches will not be retained. Both are not just poor recruiters but both do not give maximum effort in recruiting. They believe they are above recruiting. Both probably need to be coaching in the nfl.
Jeremy Pruitt and his coaching staff have done a great job recruiting:rolleyes:

Reactions: Ratvol

I get your point but that same situation was in place during the years Fulmer brought in top 5 classes. Actually it should be a bit easier now as the state of Tennessee is producing more top talent than before. Heck, even Jones had a couple top 5 classes. It may never happen again, but I strongly disagree that it can’t.

You were doing fine until that...:oops:. I want at least one VFL on staff. Sentimental? Maybe. And though his playing days are 20+ years in that past, isn't there some value of some sort attached to legacy for the program? Like Cafego back in the olden days.

Didn't write that I wanted him to leave, friend, just guessing that he would be the first to leave for a better coaching job, e.g. HC somewhere. For darn sure, I want Tee and every other VFL we can find who can contribute to the program. We all want that, eh?

If I have not missed it, it seems that we are not having any turnover? I look at that as a very positive thing and another reason for some optimism for future success. I have heard some say that one factor in Fulmer's "decline" was a lack of stability of the staff and. Lord knows, the last decade is what total instability looks like.
Any thoughts on how Pruitt's experience, as one in different situations, might be helping him in making assistants' lives better than average and therefore increasing their satisfaction?

I feel Pruitt selected his staff well when he got here. But he changed both coordinators this year, so it is not all his "original" hires. Turnover happens when you do extremely well. Other schools fire staffs every year, and offers are made. Since the bowl game hasn't been played yet, if any of our current staff has offers, it is hush hush for now.

As to Fulmer's decline, it was more a decline in recruiting, and not having Cutcliffe to handle the offense. Even greater, IMO, was a poor focus on discipline. He had a rash of player's arrested, and his way of dealing with it, per an interview I heard at the time was, "The players have my phone number." All that put together, and the failure of the Dave Clawson offense after Cut left for Duke, led to Fulmer being fired. And the only person I have heard blame a lack of stability of the staff? That is Fulmer himself.

Edit: I tried to link a 2008 article from bleacher report, but after 2 attempts, it fails to load. Guess that article is not allowed to be posted. So google Phil Fulmer fired. It will show up.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLSONLY
I will start by saying that if I had a son that was a D Lineman, coach Rocker would be one of the first coaches I would want him to play for. He has been there, done that and is a great developer. As a coach and a mentor. The knock on him is that he is an easy target for other schools to negatively recruit against. When this staff came here they began selling the idea of rebuilding. Then his own son goes to Vandy to play baseball on a National Championship team. Why did he not come to UT baseball and help “rebuild”? I have heard that message has been easy for opposing teams to sell. Coaches have used this to put a bad taste in the parents of recruits.

“So Coach Rocker wants you to put your career on the line to help rebuild UT?”

“ How about his son that chose a National Championship school over a rebuild at TN?”

“So does Coach Rocket really believe in UT?”

IDK

Reactions: rocytop2624
I will start by saying that if I had a son that was a D Lineman, coach Rocker would be one of the first coaches I would want him to play for. He has been there, done that and is a great developer. As a coach and a mentor. The knock on him is that he is an easy target for other schools to negatively recruit against. When this staff came here they began selling the idea of rebuilding. Then his own son goes to Vandy to play baseball on a National Championship team. Why did he not come to UT baseball and help “rebuild”? I have heard that message has been easy for opposing teams to sell. Coaches have used this to put a bad taste in the parents of recruits.

“So Coach Rocker wants you to put your career on the line to help rebuild UT?”

“ How about his son that chose a National Championship school over a rebuild at TN?”

“So does Coach Rocket really believe in UT?”

IDK

Oh horse crap. I think Vandy is a cesspool, but they managed to build a good baseball program. At the time, Rocker's son made his choice, he did it for his prospects of becoming a future major league player. It was his choice. Baseball has nothing to do with football. Anyone who read your post is now dumber for reading it, I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Reactions: rkvdg
We need more recruiters. Need to tell Rocker, Wienke and Rumph to hit the bricks. Position coaches are a dime a dozen. You can find good ones pretty much anywhere. You need lights out recruiters. Bama/UGA/LSU all have 2-3 Neidermeyer type recruiters on staff.

LOL. Yeah, position coaches are a dime a dozen. Absolutely no difference between Dan Brooks and whoever the hell Butch and Dooley had coaching DL.

Oh BS. Tennessee can recruit on the same level they have in the past. Look at Clemson they’ve been successful recruiting the same regions Tennessee used to be successful in.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
Oh horse crap. I think Vandy is a cesspool, but they managed to build a good baseball program. At the time, Rocker's son made his choice, he did it for his prospects of becoming a future major league player. It was his choice. Baseball has nothing to do with football. Anyone who read your post is now dumber for reading it, I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
God will have mercy on my soul as well as yours. I am not a recruiter but have heard this is one of the things that other schools are using against us. You might take another look at what I wrote. Sorry you became dumber for reading.

Oh BS. Tennessee can recruit on the same level they have in the past. Look at Clemson they’ve been successful recruiting the same regions Tennessee used to be successful in.
This is the first time Clemson has had a top 5 class and its because they’ve won 2 of the last 3 national championships.

Reactions: memtownvol
I feel Pruitt selected his staff well when he got here. But he changed both coordinators this year, so it is not all his "original" hires. Turnover happens when you do extremely well. Other schools fire staffs every year, and offers are made. Since the bowl game hasn't been played yet, if any of our current staff has offers, it is hush hush for now.

As to Fulmer's decline, it was more a decline in recruiting, and not having Cutcliffe to handle the offense. Even greater, IMO, was a poor focus on discipline. He had a rash of player's arrested, and his way of dealing with it, per an interview I heard at the time was, "The players have my phone number." All that put together, and the failure of the Dave Clawson offense after Cut left for Duke, led to Fulmer being fired. And the only person I have heard blame a lack of stability of the staff? That is Fulmer himself.

Edit: I tried to link a 2008 article from bleacher report, but after 2 attempts, it fails to load. Guess that article is not allowed to be posted. So google Phil Fulmer fired. It will show up.
100% Turnover happens when you do well!! Well said, the better we get in the next few years it will happen!!!

VN Store

Back