Spurrier to receive Neyland award

Yay for Spurrier. He wins the Neyland award the same season we win the Natty. Good riddance, and hope he enjoys it.

Not only is Spurrier 2nd in SEC wins, considering he accomplished that at two programs without a tradition of winning, makes him arguably the best coach in SEC history. He also has said he would have come to coach here if asked when Fulmer left. He also would have played here if the offense had been a passing offense when he was recruited. Sure hope our fans don't boo him while he is being homored and give the national media another reason to portray the school negatively.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe you should check your facts, my friend. He was born in Miami, FL, lived as a child in NC, GA, and Virginia, before moving to TN where attended Science Hill.

Does not matter. He is as much a figure at TN as anyone else. He had brought the best games out of Vols players. When you played an Ol Ball Coached team, you brought the A game. You wanted to beat him more than anyone else. Not to exclude the fact he won many games at TN. That really hurts to say. GBO

Spurrier will get booed long and loud in Neyland. UT has been the punchline of his barbs for decades. He even had to get a few shots in at media days last year. He has poked fun at every UT coach he coached against, and some of his digs have been quite mean-spirited.

This is going to generate more negative publicity for UT. Fans will boo and heckle him, and the media will capture it all and spin it to make UT look bad.

Who cares what the media does.If team 120 just takes care of business on the field this year.Let them spin it however they want because it won't matter.

He'll probably announce he's the offensive consultant for the Florida Gators this yr at the Spring Game.

And he'll say "I've won more games here than some of your coaches'".

Please stop the hate. He has been great for the game, great for the SEC, stepped down when he knew he was done. Yes I know all the "he quit" haters will flock to that one but he is a legend, and most of the time people don't like to ask legends to leave. He could have stayed for another two, three or four years cashing the checks and they probably wouldn't have done anything.

Respect for your opponents is something that is lost on people nowadays. He came in here and kicked our butts more times than we all care for, but at then end of the day he helped to grow the game both as a player and a coach. He not only deserves respect, he has earned it. Sure, he ran his mouth a few times but he almost always 1) backed it up, and 2) was never out of line with his comments. He was emotional in his comments a lot of the time, but I can't recall a time when he crossed the line.

He has my respect and college football and the SEC would be best served if he could coach forever in his prime.
That's not how you spell bourbon.

Not only is Spurrier 2nd in SEC wins, considering he accomplished that at two programs without a tradition of winning, makes him arguably the best coach in SEC history. He also has said he would have come to coach here if asked when Fulmer left. He also would have played here if the offense had been a passing offense when he was recruited. Sure hope our fans don't boo him while he is being homored and give the national media another reason to portray the school negatively.
Best coach in SEC history? :eek:lol:

Oh, he's gonna get homored alright.

Sorry folks but he lost all my respect when he QUIT and walked out on his team.

No man of Honor would ever do that to young college kids that he recruited so he flatout LIED to them all by being a quitter just so his record wouldn't get worse.

He should have been man enough to take his beatings just like his team had to do.

He doesn't deserve the Honor to ever step foot on UT again.

He's earned every BOO that comes at him.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

I have it from the horse's mouth that he was going to be fired before the end of the season because he refused to fire staff members during the season.

Fact
Book it
Gruden is on Lovie's plane right now.

He'll probably announce he's the offensive consultant for the Florida Gators this yr at the Spring Game.

Well, he would be right.....

SOS WAS born in Miami.

Funny how everyone remembers his cute remarks and jokes but no one remembers the Vols gave him his two most heartbreaking defeats. His last game at The Swamp and the game in Columbia in '14. Only times he didn't have anything to say after a game.

Pretty sure losing to UK twice like that hurt too haha.

Interesting responses.

I agree with the posters who said Spurrier brought out the best in Fulmer and Tennessee. When Spurrier left, Fulmer should have absolutely dominated the SEC East.

For as much as UT wanted to beat us, Spurrier wanted to beat UT even more. He wanted to make sure to never relive his first game in Knoxville as UF's football coach. His failings as a player in the 1960s also motivated him to stick to UGA whenever he coached against them.

Opinions vary on Spurrier, and there's a good number of UF fans who don't like Spurrier for taking a job at a school in our division...the last school we face on the conference schedule every year.

But you can't deny his impact on changing how the SEC played football. The man is a legend, and he's on the Mount Rushmore of SEC coaches.

I also think he'll be disappointed if he's not booed, and if it happens...and if he's asked about it...I guarantee he'll mention UT fans like him since they beat South Carlolina the past two years. Spurrier can dish it out, but he never got credit for being brutally honest about his own failings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
ianaVo,l;12.499210]Check your facts my friend...Spurrier was born in Johnson City and played high school ball at Science Hill.[/QUOTE]

Wrong......Spurrier was born April 20, 1945, in Miami, FL.

SOS still getting us after retirement. Man, I bet he is going to get a kick out of this. I'm sure the crowd will boo and cheer. FWIW I love Steve

Well, he would be right.....

Ha, nope, he won't say that because it's not true. He's 6-7 at Neyland Stadium, lifetime (that includes games while coaching Duke, Florida, and South Carolina all three).

If you're a legendary coach whose lifetime win percentage is above 70% (above 80% while at Florida), you seriously gotta dislike having to play in a stadium where you're winning less than half the time.

He may have had Tennessee's number more often than not, but he didn't have Neyland Stadium's.

Don't get me wrong, it's not too shabby winning almost half your games on the road against a quality conference opponent...not saying the man sucked. Just saying he totally won't be bragging on how much he won in our house.

[even Dooley has more than twice as many Neyland Stadium wins as Spurrier ... shocking, I know]

Go Vols!

EDIT: Breakdown: 1-1 in Neyland while at Duke ... 3-3 in Neyland while at Florida ... 2-3 in Neyland while at USCe.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back