Spring Practice Thread #1 Tuesday 3/10/20

He needs to get better with decision making. As does any freshman qb. So does HB. You can look at any highlight video of HBs and count several passes, tds or otherwise, that would’ve been ints in the SEC.
Especially if you have a determined mindset. 😏 Honest question. Did Maurer throw passes in HIGH SCHOOL that were risky at that level...maybe because he COULD? Doubt he threw the same exact risky ones at the next level after a quick experience with the speed of the game. Maybe Bailey already knows that?

Especially if you have a determined mindset. 😏 Honest question. Did Maurer throw passes in HIGH SCHOOL that were risky at that level...maybe because he COULD? Doubt he threw the same exact risky ones at the next level after a quick experience with the speed of the game. Maybe Bailey already knows that?
Maurer absolutely threw a few risky ones every game. No doubt. But I’ll say not quite as many. Usually his were single covered receivers. HBs were dbl and sometimes triple coverage.

No. You were talking to me and none of what you said applies to me. I have been to practice because I hold an open invite. I have worked with players. I have been coaching for years. And I have recruited. What he said is very true. Every coach, programmer, archeologists, architect ext ext have their areas of expertise. The title of head coach, archeologist, architect ext ext doesn’t mean master of all areas. It simply means he got a chance based on HIS area of expertise showing results.
Whichever authority gave you an open invite would most likely have pause at your subtle digs of Pruitt’s competence.

Maurer absolutely threw a few risky ones every game. No doubt. But I’ll say not quite as many. Usually his were single covered receivers. HBs were dbl and sometimes triple coverage.
You think he learned...or did he keep hurling em up? The ones that HB GOT AWAY WITH...any reason why he shouldn’t have thrown them if he could get away with it?

Sure they play the odds...odds makers set the odds based on thier risk of making money not on an accurate picture of the game itself.. .gamblers typically dig deeper..beyond the numbers
So they’re at every practice?

Whichever authority gave you an open invite would most likely have pause at your subtle digs of Pruitt’s competence.
I think Pruitt is a hell of a Coach and EXACTLY what this program needed. You won’t find a SINGLE “fire Pruitt” comment from 1vol8 when all that was going down. You will however find a post or two in support of him. However it’s not a dig to say he made a mistake and I think behind closed doors he would tell you the same. His area of expertise is on the other side of the ball. It’s no secret and It’s no different than me admitting to YOU that this or that position isn’t my area. You gotta be humble enough to know your limitations. A lot of people give coaches too much credit and too much criticism. If they were always right, hs, college and pro coaches would be among the most secure jobs in the world. Their mistakes are what gets them fired.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You think he learned...or did he keep hurling em up? The ones that HB GOT AWAY WITH...any reason why he shouldn’t have thrown them if he could get away with it?
At the Hs level no. Throw it until they stop it. Some learn, some don’t.

Is anyone going to sleep around here? Stop it. It's 2020 a new season enough of the crap.

Let us watch spring practice and go from there.

JJ is the only one I heard say openly that JG was the "best option" and that came second hand through an announcer. That's not meaningless however JJ seemed to have a problem with Maurer and especially later in the season. Not sure what it was but I saw a couple of reactions from him both on the field and on the sideline.

tenor.gif

I can’t answer that honestly. However, as much as I like Pruitt, I think most would agree he made a mistake based on his evaluation by anointing JG wouldn’t you say?

No, I wouldn't say it. Obviously you can see in an alternate universe where Maurer played in JG's place and all was well. I only saw what happened in this universe.

For goodness sakes. I'm not obsessed with being right like some of you guys are. I wasn't happy with JG a lot of the time and would like to have seen some changes, but good Lord. Some of you need help.

You don't think it says a lot that a RS Junior QB couldnt keep the starting spot when the alternative was an untested, unready true freshman?

Sure it does. Does it change the fact that the coaches continually resorted to JG to lead us to wins? No. Does it change the fact that JG was the QB that helped lead us to 8 wins? No.

No, I wouldn't say it. Obviously you can see in an alternate universe where Maurer played in JG's place and all was well. I only saw what happened in this universe.

For goodness sakes. I'm not obsessed with being right like some of you guys are. I wasn't happy with JG a lot of the time and would like to have seen some changes, but good Lord. Some of you need help.
First of all I never said WHO it should’ve been. At that time all I said was the practice reports didn’t match what I saw and the competition was much closer than we were being told. As it played out everything I said was true. Maurer wasn’t ready but neither was Shrout. Then again it was clear week one that JG wasn’t either. I was telling everyone before the season started last year that I would start JG as well but Maurer was impressive in practice as well because he was explosive. Stop making mountains out of mole hills.

I can’t answer that honestly. However, as much as I like Pruitt, I think most would agree he made a mistake based on his evaluation by anointing JG wouldn’t you say?

This is what baffles me. Say you are Pruitt. You see the players mire than anyone else. You watch them perform at practice and get to study their performance. Now how would you deal with the QB situation? You see JG out performing the other QBs on a consistent basis. Now do you say well the other guys arent doing as good as JG but they need to play anyway?

VN Store

Back