Spring Practice #3

Super late but still made first page! Golf game was horrible today but this made me smile.

Gbo!

Love to read about the RBs working on pass catching. UT scored on a nicely designed screen at Florida Heupel’s first year.

Yep, and Small scored on a little wheel route against Fla this past season as well as a seam route (?) against KY where he just ran right by the defenders. They were so concerned about our receivers they just let him go right by into the end zone and Hooker laid it right in there. Easy TD. Love reliable RB’s that can catch the ball out of the backfield.

This good or bad? I was kind of hoping he could slide over and play safety.
I am thinking good. he was our best coverage guy last year. which isn't saying much. but I don't think he practiced CB very much. so if he is getting reps and doing well I take it as a positive as its improvement on last year. We don't have to be elite on defense, just better.

I know most fans always want the new shiny toy to be the best thing, but I think it was unrealistic to expect all or even most of our starters to be the new guys.

This good or bad? I was kind of hoping he could slide over and play safety.
Good in my eyes. He is a safety that was moved to CB towards the end of the season out of necessity and he brought that aggressive, physical safety mentality and play with him. He didn't have the experience, technique, and refinement needed at CB so he gave up some plays. However, due to his mentality, physicality, and aggressiveness, he was probably the best CB on the team to finish the season. Add in that he now has an entire offseason focusing on being a CB, he can hone his technique and coverage skills.

I think Keyton will be solid this season. Bru plays physical, Thornton is an athletic specimen and White is a burner with elite speed but I love the experience and the reliability of Keyton and I think he’ll be a major asset. That said I’m confused about the Pili observation. How is it apparent after 3 practices that he won’t be an all-sec caliber guy?

It is possible that he poorly worded an attempt to avoid being accused of applying Orange colored glasses to a new guys projected savior of the football world status.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I am thinking good. he was our best coverage guy last year. which isn't saying much. but I don't think he practiced CB very much. so if he is getting reps and doing well I take it as a positive as its improvement on last year. We don't have to be elite on defense, just better.

I know most fans always want the new shiny toy to be the best thing, but I think it was unrealistic to expect all or even most of our starters to be the new guys.

This is true.

Good in my eyes. He is a safety that was moved to CB towards the end of the season out of necessity and he brought that aggressive, physical safety mentality and play with him. He didn't have the experience, technique, and refinement needed at CB so he gave up some plays. However, due to his mentality, physicality, and aggressiveness, he was probably the best CB on the team to finish the season. Add in that he now has an entire offseason focusing on being a CB, he can hone his technique and coverage skills.

Also true. Well said. Our secondary was an abomination but actually gelled the last 2 games and played pretty well somehow. Slaughter was a big part of that on the outside, he is also a solid tackler as a former safety should be.

Clemson was SO CERTAIN that they could throw the ball all over the yard, they kept trying to do so even when they had numbers in the box for the run game...and it got their butts whipped badly. We actually covered guys instead of giving them 10 yard cushions, and brought extra men for pressure on most downs. We were able to absolutely manhandle them...which I admittedly did not see coming without HH and our missing WRs. I thought before the game that with Clemson's 4 year recruiting class average being top 3 or 4 in the country, and us playing with a gutted roster with less than 80 scholarship players, that they would have superior depth, talent, and maybe even size in the trenches. Our Oline and Dlines flat out PUSHED them around on both sides of the ball like they were a Vandy team. That was the most impressive part of the win IMO...and by far. We straight manhandled Clemson, and social media as well as their own fans noticed and commented about it.

Anyway, GO VOLS.

THANKS FINGERS. YOUDAMAN!

This is true.

Also true. Well said. Our secondary was an abomination but actually gelled the last 2 games and played pretty well somehow. Slaughter was a big part of that on the outside, he is also a solid tackler as a former safety should be.

Clemson was SO CERTAIN that they could throw the ball all over the yard, they kept trying to do so even when they had numbers in the box for the run game...and it got their butts whipped badly. We actually covered guys instead of giving them 10 yard cushions, and brought extra men for pressure on most downs. We were able to absolutely manhandle them...which I admittedly did not see coming without HH and our missing WRs. I thought before the game that with Clemson's 4 year recruiting class average being top 3 or 4 in the country, and us playing with a gutted roster with less than 80 scholarship players, that they would have superior depth, talent, and maybe even size in the trenches. Our Oline and Dlines flat out PUSHED them around on both sides of the ball like they were a Vandy team. That was the most impressive part of the win IMO...and by far. We straight manhandled Clemson, and social media as well as their own fans noticed and commented about it.

Anyway, GO VOLS.

THANKS FINGERS. YOUDAMAN!
Our D line got consistent pressure in the Clemson game. Made our secondary look better than they are. Couple that with a freshman QB and we look even better. IMHO, I believe we see some freshman take the reins and win starting jobs by year end.

I might be reading into this, but having Seldon working with the RBs and also catching passes, tells me they are working up schemes to exploit LB mismatches with Seldon.

His HS film, from what i have seen anyway, he reminds me of Cordarrelle Patterson. He is tall and fast...and "fluid " if that makes any sense. Always looks like he is loose and has great balance and change of direction despite being 6ft2 or 6ft3in tall...and he is FAST in the open field. Will not get caught from behind if we can get him the ball in space IMO...it will be a track meet. He wins those too.

I do not know how "quick" he is in the first 5 yards compared to CP...Patterson is All-World level quick and fast thats why he has succeeded as a returner and now even as a RB in the NFL....but this kid is fast, tall, and talented. I hope he does big things on the Hill..
I THINK he ends up sharing slot WR with Squirrel....they will both ABUSE safeties from there and score long touchdowns.

GO VOLS

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
His HS film, from what i have seen anyway, he reminds me of Cordarrelle Patterson. He is tall and fast...and "fluid " if that makes any sense. Always looks like he is loose and has great balance and change of direction despite being 6ft2 or 6ft3in tall...and he is FAST in the open field. Will not get caught from behind if we can get him the ball in space IMO...it will be a track meet. He wins those too.

I do not know how "quick" he is in the first 5 yards compared to CP...Patterson is All-World level quick and fast thats why he has succeeded as a returner and now even as a RB in the NFL....but this kid is fast, tall, and talented. I hope he does big things on the Hill..
I THINK he ends up sharing slot WR with Squirrel....they will both ABUSE safeties from there and score long touchdowns.

GO VOLS
To me, I see him as a bigger Mecole Hardman. CP lined up in the backfield sometimes in the NFL though too. I think they both are good comparisons.
Seldon will be what we all HOPED Pig Howard would be.

GO VOLS
Think more Princeton Fantesque utility knife than pure slot imo. What we will miss about Fant isn’t pure TE skills (Castles will be an upgrade in that area), but the matchup problems for opposing defenses. Chip block one play, receiving option the next and short yardage yard back the next. When you have Saban perplexed because the other team’s TE is lined up as the fullback or tailback in a traditional I? You’ve done something right. With Seldon, think that with more explosiveness. We could end up with TWO slots in certain packages in a Heupel offense! The defense will have to account for too many different option and that’s always fun! 😎

Our D line got consistent pressure in the Clemson game. Made our secondary look better than they are. Couple that with a freshman QB and we look even better. IMHO, I believe we see some freshman take the reins and win starting jobs by year end.
we actually had DBs turn around and play the ball too which really helped. I always frustrated when one of our DBs would be in stride with the WR, and never could make get the PBU because they ALWAYS played the man. Seems that changed a little towards the end of the season.

I know Slaughter had at least 1 int, but I can't remember if was because he was playing off with eyes on the qb or turned his head and made a play on the ball in coverage. more of that would really help.

we actually had DBs turn around and play the ball too which really helped. I always frustrated when one of our DBs would be in stride with the WR, and never could make get the PBU because they ALWAYS played the man. Seems that changed a little towards the end of the season.

I know Slaughter had at least 1 int, but I can't remember if was because he was playing off with eyes on the qb or turned his head and made a play on the ball in coverage. more of that would really help.
Absolutely.

Very first video..

What is the benefit of tackling like this? Help me understand the drill? Please and thanks

Looks odd, but it’s a safety thing.
They are basically mimicking rugby tackling. It’s supposed to be safer form for the tackler’s head/neck area. The Seattle Seahawks started teaching it maybe 8 or 10 years ago, and it’s trickled down to the youngest levels football is taught.

Looks odd, but it’s a safety thing.
They are basically mimicking rugby tackling. It’s supposed to be safer form for the tackler’s head/neck area. The Seattle Seahawks started teaching it maybe 8 or 10 years ago, and it’s trickled down to the youngest levels football is taught.

I’ll take any kind of tackling so long as it’s not the “hit them with arms tucked in and hope they fall down” type. Infuriating to watch that.

"Keenan Pili will not be an all SEC player in Orange"

Sure you wanna go ahead and declare that so early?
I have a good friend who is Latter Day Saints and follows BYU football like we do the Vols and he said Pili wasn't anything special athletically unfortunately. He did say he was a good effort guy who would keep his nose clean.

VN Store

Back