Spring Practice #3

Fingers

VIDEO

CLIPS

NOTES

Freshman Kaleb Webb has been dealing with an illness, but was back on the field on Saturday. He joined Ramel Keyton and Jimmy Holiday working at one outside position, while Cedric Tillman led the line on the other side followed by Jack Jancek and freshman Chas Nimrod. Walker Merrill, who worked outside during Thursday's routes-on-air, was back in the slot with Jalin Hyatt, Jimmy Calloway and freshman Marquarius White.

Tight end Jacob Warren led the tight end line and had a good session, earning plaudits from Golesh on multiple occasions. Golesh also had praise for Princeton Fant after a good route. Those two tight ends seem to be far and away ahead of the rest of that group.

Defensive coordinator Tim Banks talked on Thursday about how Elijah Simmons has gotten his body in order this offseason and watching him more closely on Saturday, you can definitely see it. The big man always has had impressive quickness and feet for his size, but he is clearly moving better through the agility drills. Those can be taxing for the defensive lineman, but Simmons clearly has had a good offseason in that regard.

The linebackers ran through some chute work with Brian Jean-Mary and the tandems in order were Jeremy Banks and Aaron Beasley; Solon Page III and Juwan Mitchell (who remains in a yellow non-contact jersey); Kwauze Garland and walk-on special teams ace Nick Humphrey; Nebraska transfer Jackson Hannah and freshman Elijah Herring; and Aaron Willis and walk-on West Shuler.
p. brown

It’s a zoo on UT’s campus right now with spring practice going on + about 70 prospects and family members on hand.

Because of the wind, it wasn’t the best day throwing the football as balls were sailing at times. During routes on air, it was a struggle just completing simple comeback routes. I saw Ramel Keyton allow one ball right between his hands but am continued to be impressed with Kaleb Webb – who returned to practice today. He has soft hands.

Attendance: Kaleb Webb was back after missing Thursday’s session. We didn’t see LaTrell Bumphus for the second-straight practice. Addison Nichols was not present today, but he will be back with the team tomorrow.
e.cain

Hendon Hooker has continued to showcase the dominance that earned him such notoriety last season.

Hooker had several well-placed balls again Saturday and continues to show leadership in UT’s group of gunslingers.

Ramel Keyton and Kaleb Webb particularly struggled, with both going to the ground for push-ups after drops.

For linebackers, Elijah Herring continues to show improvement as he received specific praise from Brian Jean-Mary.

Elijah Simmons also appears remarkably quicker, while Tyre West has continued struggling.

Though Justin Williams-Thomas may have an impressive physique, it is Jaylen Wright’s burst that continues to make waves with our staff.

The sophomore showed considerable speed Saturday morning, falling in line behind Jabari Small once more in running back drills.
si

PHOTOS

Last edited:
Princeton Fant needs to works his way onto a draft board this season. I am anxious for more specifics on the LBs' performances in the coming days. I want some leaders to separate themselves,step up, and dominate. We need a dominant LB crew we haven't had in 16-17 in seasons.

Over a 1,000 yard returning receiver? I don’t see that one buddy but we will see

I guess I should have worded it better. Bru McCoy will be starting over Ramel Keyton for that WR spot. He and Tillman will be the outside WR’s with Hyatt in the slot.

And I don’t think that’s a bad lineup at all.

VN Store

Back