Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2nd, 2019)

I liked it but I still hate the casting choices for MJ and Flash. The actress who plays MJ has resting bi_ch face and Flash went from being an oafish bully to a whiny privileged trust fund baby. I much prefer the classic looks and story arcs of those original characters.

I liked it but I still hate the casting choices for MJ and Flash. The actress who plays MJ has resting bi_ch face and Flash went from being an oafish bully to a whiny privileged trust fund baby. I much prefer the classic looks and story arcs of those original characters.

You're not wrong, but it's a political choice made by Hollywood

I actually really like the casting choice they made with MJ, both the actress and the way she’s portrayed.

Oh trust me. I know. And to be fair, I feel the same way about the new Aunt May. As great as Marisa Tomei is in the role, that is NOT Aunt May! I do admit though, the thing with her and Happy is pretty funny.

They have been de-aging Aunt May in the comics for years. She has gone from being in her mid 70s with a heart condition to more like early 60s with an active sex life.

I actually really like the casting choice they made with MJ, both the actress and the way she’s portrayed.

Zendaya is a little cutie. My biggest annoyance with her “MJ” is her aloof, snarky, personality. Mary Jane will always be a bubbly red head with green eyes to me.

Zendaya is a little cutie. My biggest annoyance with her “MJ” is her aloof, snarky, personality. Mary Jane will always be a bubbly red head with green eyes to me.

I kind of feel like that is almost EVERY female character in movies these days.

They have been de-aging Aunt May in the comics for years. She has gone from being in her mid 70s with a heart condition to more like early 60s with an active sex life.

LOL I didn't know that but considering that I haven't read Spiderman comics since I was like twelve, I can see where that would be a huge oversight on my part.

She is Michelle Jones not Mary Jane. I guess to avoid the red head character comparison.

It’s fine that she is Michelle but they knew exactly what they were doing when they started calling her MJ.

It’s like they wanted to cast Zendaya but knew there would be backlash for race swapping Mary Jane so did a sort-of-cop-out with this new MJ.

I like Zendaya... her role is fine... they shouldn’t call her MJ (imo).

It’s fine that she is Michelle but they knew exactly what they were doing when they started calling her MJ.

It’s like they wanted to cast Zendaya but knew there would be backlash for race swapping Mary Jane so did a sort-of-cop-out with this new MJ.

Yup.

Oh trust me. I know. And to be fair, I feel the same way about the new Aunt May. As great as Marisa Tomei is in the role, that is NOT Aunt May! I do admit though, the thing with her and Happy is pretty funny.

I never thought the "old grandma" Aunt May made much sense, unless she was supposed to be his great aunt. To me the MCU version makes way more sense in age.

I've heard it may have been a Sony call because they didn't want Marvel using another Spiderverse character they owned the rights to, hence Michelle "MJ" was created as a compromise. She's not technically Mary Jane so it doesn't count. I don't know how true that is as they did use Flash Thompson, but maybe there was some kind of limit. From what I've heard the agreement between Sony and Marvel to use SM has been extremely detailed.

I don't mind making Flash like he is, I just wish they'd cast a more athletic/bigger guy for it; just in case they go down the "Venom in the MCU" route and if Flash ever became him.

I never thought the "old grandma" Aunt May made much sense, unless she was supposed to be his great aunt. To me the MCU version makes way more sense in age.

Yeah I agree the age gap always seemed too far. Not implausible necessarily. Just meant there was a big age gap between Uncle Ben and Richard Parker. Annnnd maybe Richard was an older dad.

I think the Grandmotherly May was meant to add more stress and responsibility to Peter’s story.

Far From Home is now the first Spider-Man movie in the franchise to cross the $1 billion mark worldwide at the box office.

VN Store

Back