Space Exploration

Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

• It's worth the time and expenditures

Votes: 213 66.1%
  • Complete waste of money

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

Votes: 69 21.4%

• Total voters
So what's the deal with the starlink satellites? I read somewhere it was supposed to provide cellular service everywhere on planet Earth? But other countries were complaining about having too many satellites orbiting the planet or something?

Doesnt make sense to me, but that's why I am asking...
Have you watched any of the flyovers? There is only a fraction of the network that Spacex wants to put up and they aren't the only ones doing this. Your kids' night sky will not be anything like yours was when you were a kid. And from what i have heard, astronomers are pretty pizzed as well..

findstarlink.com. Put in the lat/long for where you live to get the times

I'm interested to what "bar" it got to. In it's previous test it ruptured a whole at 7.6 bar. I think 8.5 bar is what they need for flight hardware?
That is my understanding as well.
Everybody is waiting for Mr. Musk to tweet the results of the test.

I find myself watching a lot of different Youtube channels that seemingly have sprung up just in the past year, presumably trying to replicate the success of Everyday Astronaut. I find it interesting to get the various takes from people commenting on basically the same set of news. Opinionated and occasionally wrong, but it’s nice to have more space-related content. This one is out of Germany;

I find myself watching a lot of different Youtube channels that seemingly have sprung up just in the past year, presumably trying to replicate the success of Everyday Astronaut. I find it interesting to get the various takes from people commenting on basically the same set of news. Opinionated and occasionally wrong, but it’s nice to have more space-related content. This one is out of Germany;

Never seen that channel...

The space channels that I watch are...

NASASpaceflight.com
YouTube

Everyday Astronaut
YouTube

Scott Manley
YouTube

What about it?
YouTube

TheSpacexFans
YouTube

And of course the Labpadre live streams.

Reactions: twoffo
From the LabPadre live stream about an hour ago.

Raptor engine (SN27) has arrived at the launch pad for installation on SN5!

20200702_215336.jpg

Last edited:
From the LabPadre live stream about an hour ago.

Raptor engine (SN27) has arrived at the launch pad for installation on SN5!

View attachment 290186

If I recall the Raptor SN#’s correctly (SN18-20) this would not be one of the three Raptors delivered back when SN4 was the thing. So this one should be more advanced than those intended for the SN4 hop attempt.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
If I recall the Raptor SN#’s correctly (SN18-20) this would not be one of the three Raptors delivered back when SN4 was the thing. So this one should be more advanced than those intended for the SN4 hop attempt.
It's hard to comprehend that when completed the Starship Super heavy booster will have 31 of those baby's underneath it!

Sorry that I am always saying this but its true to me.

i have watched videos on the other guys stuff, but none of them come close to looking as futuristic as SpaceX.
part of it is definitely the design differences, but I think a lot has to be said about the production value as well

Sorry that I am always saying this but its true to me.

i have watched videos on the other guys stuff, but none of them come close to looking as futuristic as SpaceX.
part of it is definitely the design differences, but I think a lot has to be said about the production value as well
Elon does have a thing for production value. He wants stuff that looks like it could be from a movie or tv series, take the futuristic flight suites that was worn by the guys on DM-2. They were designed by the guy who did superhero outfits for Wonder Woman and several other DC & Marvel films.

VN Store

Back