Space Exploration

Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

• It's worth the time and expenditures

Votes: 213 66.1%
  • Complete waste of money

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

Votes: 69 21.4%

• Total voters
So what's the deal with the starlink satellites? I read somewhere it was supposed to provide cellular service everywhere on planet Earth? But other countries were complaining about having too many satellites orbiting the planet or something?

Doesnt make sense to me, but that's why I am asking...

So what's the deal with the starlink satellites? I read somewhere it was supposed to provide cellular service everywhere on planet Earth? But other countries were complaining about having too many satellites orbiting the planet or something?

World accessible internet!

Yeah, the problem is that they are so many of the satellites that they are messing up astronomy photography.

Starlink - Wikipedia

I did some google fu and reading .

Looks like it is global internet, especially for rural and remote areas where there is currently a monopoly or no internet at all.

It isnt altruistic though, no different from other businesses. They estimate that internet service will be about $80 a month, but will be much, much faster than what is currently available. Looks like here in North America first and then expanding to the rest of the world. They are extremely low earth orbit satellites. 300 to 800 miles above earth. I also saw where the new ones have some kind of cage or sun detector around them that is supposed to help with them not interfering with astronomers as much.

Really interested to see this up and running later this year. Should be almost ready here in the US. I will use their internet service if it is superior to what we have now with cable broadband...

Lets start a space junk business. Seriously getting crowded up there with sats and debris.

I did some google fu and reading .

Looks like it is global internet, especially for rural and remote areas where there is currently a monopoly or no internet at all.

It isnt altruistic though, no different from other businesses. They estimate that internet service will be about $80 a month, but will be much, much faster than what is currently available. Looks like here in North America first and then expanding to the rest of the world. They are extremely low earth orbit satellites. 300 to 800 miles above earth. I also saw where the new ones have some kind of cage or sun detector around them that is supposed to help with them not interfering with astronomers as much.

Really interested to see this up and running later this year. Should be almost ready here in the US. I will use their internet service if it is superior to what we have now with cable broadband...
300 to 800 miles is not an extremely low earth orbit as the ISS is standard from around 220 miles to 280 miles.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
“Before you leave office, will you let us know if there are aliens? Because this is the only thing I really want to know. I want to know what’s going on. Would you ever open up Roswell and let us know what’s going on there?” Trump Jr. asked in the video produced by Trump’s presidential campaign.

“So many people ask me that question,” the president said. “There are millions and millions of people that want to go there, that want to see it. I won’t talk to you about what I know about it but it’s very interesting. But Roswell is a very interesting place with a lot of people that would like to know what’s going on.”

When Trump Jr. pushed his father on whether he will ever declassify information about Roswell, the president said, “I’ll have to think about that one.”
Trump Hints He Has ‘Interesting’ Details On Roswell As Son Grills Him About Aliens

VN Store

Back