Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Ok. You still had a W in the bag and me and you could've been just as productive on O as our senior-laden team for a 7 minute stretch.
We all knew the offense was gonna be the downfall, and no ZZ made it even stronger possibility. Is what it is. It sucks, but FAU isn’t a scrub team.

That is a ludicrous comment. Barnes hasn’t missed all those wide open shots or gotten out rebounded by a bunch of midgets.

Remove Barnes and insert Dooley, Lyle Jones, or Jeremy Pruitt. This was the same message when football was underperforming.

Isn’t ironic that once we hired a football coach who could actually coach all the player problems disappeared.

I agree that Bruce needed to be a salesman. But the narrative that Barnes inherited a better situation is just not true. The roster he was handed was bad. That’s why it took 2 years to develop 3 stars.

I didn’t think Martin’s lucky run to the SS had any bearing on our program. It was headed down until Martin left. He was not sustaining it.

Martin took advantage of the improved program to get players that someone with his level of charisma would not normally get (unless he hired their daddy).

Bruce inherited players that had not won crap and a program that had not won crap in 2 decades (other than a blip from Green). Barnes inherited a bad team but we are underselling what Bruce did in Y1...

As much as I hate this thread, that point may well be true. But I even if that’s the case, there are a lot worse places the program could be than to have a coach like that.

So we need to hire a dude with a goofy haircut?

The good news is death will one day find each of us and wrap us in its warm embrace

Not me. I'm going to hide in the closet where Barnes keeps all his leftover timeouts. One look and Death'll say "Oh good grief I'm not digging through all those" and move on to the next guy.

This keeps getting dumber. Good on Rick for getting paid, but if you threaten to leave to get a raise you better expect to be held to the standard you're being paid.

I can't believe this is even an argument.

That’s the market. I can’t believe it’s even an argument either. After each year, he moves down the list as others get new jobs. But VN loves to bring it up.

Martin took advantage of the improved program to get players that someone with his level of charisma would not normally get (unless he hired their daddy).

Bruce inherited players that had not won crap and a program that had not won crap in 2 decades (other than a blip from Green). Barnes inherited a bad team but we are underselling what Bruce did in Y1...

Both did a good job but let's not turn what Bruce inherited into the 1998 Bulls either

Never said that. But people who want to compare the two want to be dishonest and say that Pearl inherited a bad roster. His roster had talent. In fact, historical talent,

This keeps getting dumber. Good on Rick for getting paid, but if you threaten to leave to get a raise you better expect to be held to the standard you're being paid.

I can't believe this is even an argument.

Ok?

That’s not my problem.

Again, take it up with Danny White if you’re bothered by it.

Im sure life will go on regardless Barnes is making millions or two dollars.

Look at Memphis. Just like us, 5 coaches there in past 25 years (more than 1 year). Only one coach (Cal) made it to the 2nd weekend.

In the same timespan, we've had 4 coaches do that.

I never said Bruce inherited a worse team but he inherited a far worse program than Barnes....

I can only assume some of the people are young and don't realize or remember how bad it was under Buzz. And how the image of our program was just trash. Roy Williams was on ESPN trashing us for thinking we were better than NIT level Buzz.

Barnes inherited a program that had shown what it could be in the prior 10 years. The rosters were more similar than some want to admit. The program was on about the same level as current South Carolina when Bruce arrived.

Remove Barnes and insert Dooley, Lyle Jones, or Jeremy Pruitt. This was the same message when football was underperforming.

Isn’t ironic that once we hired a football coach who could actually coach all the player problems disappeared.

Attempting to throw Barnes in the same category as those buffoons is ludicrous.

He ranks behind Cal, Self and Izzo. It's worth talking about.

What’s Ed Cooley now making at Georgetown? What did Pitino get at St. John’s (this hasn’t been reported yet)? What does John Scheyer make at Duke? What did Chris Beard make at Texas? What does Cronin make?

Let’s keep talking.

This take is stupid. Jeremy Pruitt and Derek Dooley were two of the worst hires in SEC history for any sport....

What’s Ed Cooley now making at Georgetown? What did Pitino get at St. John’s (this hasn’t been reported yet)? What does John Scheyer make at Duke? What did Chris Beard make at Texas? What does Cronin make?

Let’s keep talking.

Did they make more than Barnes?

VN Store

Back