Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Nearly flaming out in the first round last night wasn't quite as impressive though.

There are no style points in the tourney. A win is a win…. In 2019, we won first round by 7 over Colgate with arguably the best starting lineup in the country and then OT with a weak Iowa team in second round.

I do not care about the final score or margin as long as we are in the winner’s column. Odds are our games will be uglier than prettier…. Survive and advance.

Some coaches just have other coach's number. Painter has Barnes' number but Barnes has PH's. I preferred the Memphis match up.
Penny beat us last time out. They pretty much out athlete us at most positions this year and can score buckets. Frantic style of play that I don’t think we would be able to keep up with. Dangerous team when they’re on.

Cheering hard for FAU tonight. You know Memphis fans already started booking flights to New York.

Last edited:
If you think I bashed Pearl, then maybe there is an agenda here. Because I did not. I stated objective facts. I loved Pearl but recognize that is in the past.

If you think Martin continued us on Pearl’s path, then I can’t help that either. He wasn’t recruiting as well or successful on the court other than one three week span. The wheels were falling apart for a 4 year stretch right before Barnes.
I said bashed or at least ignored the Pearl years (you didn’t mention them until I brought up Pearl).

I never said Martin continued us on Pearl’s path, I stated that Cuonzo’s tenure was much better than the post Davoe and pre-Pearl period as an example that, while down and without the right hire, we’re not going back to those years unless we see a huge collapse from either Barnes or White.

Sure thing.

A 68 year old who has been coaching for 46 years couldn't possibly be losing a little enthusiasm for his profession and be thinking about what's next in life.

Guy seems a little tired and flustered the second half of this season to me. And he sure doesn't flash as much fire as he used to at Clemson or Texas.

Simple as that.

Some of you guys look for any reason whatsoever to play white night for all of these coaches. Been seeing it going back to Fulmer.
White "night"...LOL

Clever burn flames out when you aren't clever enough to spell it correctly.

And the antithesis to your agenda is for me to say, "Some of you guys look for any reason whatsoever to rip all of these coaches." And the thesis of your argument is that the 68 year old coach doesn't rant and rave like he did 30 years ago at Clemson? That's really shocking. Not exactly the smoking gun you think it is, though.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
This is where the frustration with Barnes will happen. If we lose to Duke.

Our bracket is slowly getting favorable to the winner of our game. Vs Duke very likely going to Elite 8. This reminds me of the “stars” aligning for an somewhat easier path to final four in the past but we lose a game:

2018- UVA loses as #1, K State beats Kentucky, Nevada beats Cincy and all we have to do is beat Loyola and we lose on last second shot.

2006- George Mason beats #3 UNC to go to Sweet 16, we flop vs Wichita State

If we beat Duke which I think is very possible, our team is more experienced and deeper, this bracket is setting up nice for a legit chance at Elite 8 berth at minimum. Marquette, K State, and Kentucky will eliminate each other.

At the end of the day, we still have one of the deepest and talented rosters in the country, more so remaining in the tourney. LFG

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
So pissed watching CBS Network talk about today's games all saysDuke and Jon Rothstein says Duke will blow us off the court

Nearly flaming out in the first round last night wasn't quite as impressive though.

Over 90% of D1 programs already HAVE flamed out or NEVER APPEARED in this NCAA tournament including UNC, Arizona, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, Syracuse, Louisville, Oregon, UF & LSU.

UT in the remaining Top 10% is fairly impressive. Several guys on our current roster have graduated or will graduate from UT, and none have been accused of major crimes like Bama, also impressive.

Hes got to quit sitting guys with 2 fouls.
If Vesco gets 2 and he does it against Duke we might be down 25
Agreed ... you should trust your veteran guard to play with fouls in the NCAA Tournament.

I love Barnes, though. He has been a great credit to our school at a time when we have had integrity issues left and right (Pearl, Tyndall, Pruitt).

Agreed ... you should trust your veteran guard to play with fouls in the NCAA Tournament.

I love Barnes, though. He has been a great credit to our school at a time when we have had integrity issues left and right (Pearl, Tyndall, Pruitt).
no matter what the case we could make it to the win it all, F4, E8, or S16 and people would still complain or find a reason why we got there. All Complaining about CRB in the process. He is a great credit and we are fortunate to have him.

As far as sitting Vescovi out there is no problem. Vescovi maybe needed for 38 minutes today so keep him fresh and what's more we were leading by 11 with him out.

There are no style points in the tourney. A win is a win…. In 2019, we won first round by 7 over Colgate with arguably the best starting lineup in the country and then OT with a weak Iowa team in second round.

I do not care about the final score or margin as long as we are in the winner’s column. Odds are our games will be uglier than prettier…. Survive and advance.

Agreed.

All that matters is wins or losses in the tourney.

And thats where most of the criticism comes from regarding Barnes.

Over 90% of D1 programs already HAVE flamed out or NEVER APPEARED in this NCAA tournament including UNC, Arizona, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, Syracuse, Louisville, Oregon, UF & LSU.

UT in the remaining Top 10% is fairly impressive. Several guys on our current roster have graduated or will graduate from UT, and none have been accused of major crimes like Bama, also impressive.

Agree wholeheartedly on the point regarding Bama.

Absolutely disgraceful what is going on with that program currently.

What Barnes has done as a whole this season is impressive.

Where my concern comes from is the late season swoon and struggling to close out a team with an 18 point lead Thursday.

White "night"...LOL

Clever burn flames out when you aren't clever enough to spell it correctly.

And the antithesis to your agenda is for me to say, "Some of you guys look for any reason whatsoever to rip all of these coaches." And the thesis of your argument is that the 68 year old coach doesn't rant and rave like he did 30 years ago at Clemson? That's really shocking. Not exactly the smoking gun you think it is, though.

Wasn't looking for a clever "burn" and I don't put enough effort into this site to run the spell check. I'll be sure to hit you up when I need a proof reader next time though.

One word of advice however. If you're going to offer spell checks and grammar corrections, you may want to review your own use of commas.

You may want to clean up post #4748.

Good to see we’ve reached the point of just making up reasons to criticize him, now

Also, not forwarding an agenda or looking for an argument. That seems to be your intent however.

The only agenda I have was making an observation that the guy is getting up there in age and looks pretty well exasperated at times with the play of his team.

Huge kudos for winning the "debate". This should secure your future as a barrister quite nicely.

This is where the frustration with Barnes will happen. If we lose to Duke.

Our bracket is slowly getting favorable to the winner of our game. Vs Duke very likely going to Elite 8. This reminds me of the “stars” aligning for an somewhat easier path to final four in the past but we lose a game:

2018- UVA loses as #1, K State beats Kentucky, Nevada beats Cincy and all we have to do is beat Loyola and we lose on last second shot.

2006- George Mason beats #3 UNC to go to Sweet 16, we flop vs Wichita State

If we beat Duke which I think is very possible, our team is more experienced and deeper, this bracket is setting up nice for a legit chance at Elite 8 berth at minimum. Marquette, K State, and Kentucky will eliminate each other.

At the end of the day, we still have one of the deepest and talented rosters in the country, more so remaining in the tourney. LFG

All comes down to the guard play to knock off Duke IMO.

Vescovi, James, and Key have to play great today.

I expect Filipowksi to get his points so it'll be up to winning in other battles.

All comes down to the guard play to knock off Duke IMO.

Vescovi, James, and Key have to play great today.

I expect Filipowksi to get his points so it'll be up to winning in other battles.

Olivier needs his best defensive game of the year today. I expect him to be on F-POW for Duke all game. At this rate, I think whoever scores more between that matchup winds up being on the winning team.

We ended the second half on a big run with Vescovi on the bench…. Not sure why everyone is upset at Barnes not playing him with 2 fouls to end the first half…. Clearly it was the smart choice.

Reactions: tennrich1
Olivier needs his best defensive game of the year today. I expect him to be on F-POW for Duke all game. At this rate, I think whoever scores more between that matchup winds up being on the winning team.

Hope we don't see Olivier and others getting into foul trouble guarding Filo. The guy is obviously a hand full for anyone.

His youth and the ability of the Vols to throw a lot of bodies at him might wear him down some too.

I expect a good game shortly. Think anyone expecting a Duke blowout is going to be surprised.

VN Store

Back