Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Do you agree with me, then, that just dangling a big paycheck isn't a sufficient for attracting a top coach?
Do you agree that this program will never do better than where they currently are and will be sent back to the short bus when Barnes is gone?
Some of the posters assume this is it. The program cannot improve. Accept it.
Is that your belief?

Reactions: UTFanHades
Do you agree that this program will never do better than where they currently are and will be sent back to the short bus when Barnes is gone?
Some of the posters assume this is it. The program cannot improve. Accept it.
Is that your belief?

I stated clearly what I believe in the first post I addressed to you:

I believe that Barnes has made UT an attractive destination. If he's fired, though, or if there's a perception that his retirement was forced, the opening will become quite a bit less attractive.

Nothing you've written subsequently has given me cause to reconsider my belief.

Last edited:
Bama is the only real comp out of that group. Buzz Williams is from Texas; he was looking to go back. He only left Marquette to VTech because he couldn’t get along with his AD. Those are the situations that are outliers. Vandy is different, and they hired someone who had no head coaching experience. Would like to see the comments on here if we did that. He also hasn’t really done much yet. You mentioned Auburn and Ole Miss- circumstances. Mizzou is a pleasant surprise, and we will see if he can sustain it. But again, imagine the comments on here when we hire Coach McGoogle…because that’s what Gates would have been.

Coaching precedent says we hire a midmajor coach or a P5 assistant. Just like UNC, Duke, Arizona, LSU, Florida, Mizzou have all recently done. DW can identify a good one, but there is always risk.
So if there’s a failure it’s because Barnes (hopefully on retirement) didn’t make it an attractive enough job or White failed in his most important task of hiring coaches or both. Since the Pearl era, we’ve had more tourney success and appearances than all combined prior years (yes-tourney expansion post Mears makes a difference). UT has the second best arena in the conference and is NIL rich. We’re not a blue-blood but we’re still an attractive job and should continue to be if Rick retires and Danny White is the AD.

50% of our fans think we’re on Kentucky’s level and the other half think we’re UNC Asheville west and that UT never had a quality coach before Rick showed up. Let’s be a bit more logical and realize the situation is in the middle.

Good to see we’ve reached the point of just making up reasons to criticize him, now.
Yeah criticism of Rick is mostly bordering on ridiculous. I get people’s frustration and wanting to win at a high level (shoot I do too) but to vent that anger with unfounded criticism of a future HOF coach who we are so fortunate to have is…well…just plain silly!

The only time we’ve ever been able to hire a proven championship caliber coach in *football* was Johnny Majors, who obviously only took the job because he was an alum.

but you think we’re going to be able to get one in basketball?
Championship caliber coaches don’t leave schools unless they’re on the back end of e their careers or have some personal failure that’s made them available.

So if there’s a failure it’s because Barnes (hopefully on retirement) didn’t make it an attractive enough job or White failed in his most important task of hiring coaches or both. Since the Pearl era, we’ve had more tourney success and appearances than all combined prior years (yes-tourney expansion post Mears makes a difference). UT has the second best arena in the conference and is NIL rich. We’re not a blue-blood but we’re still an attractive job and should continue to be if Rick retires and Danny White is the AD.

50% of our fans think we’re on Kentucky’s level and the other half think we’re UNC Asheville west and that UT never had a quality coach before Rick showed up. Let’s be a bit more logical and realize the situation is in the middle.

More like 10%/80%/10% IMO.

Rick has taken a dumpster fire to a solid program that consistently makes the NCAAT. Yet you fail to say that before Rick, that at least 5 out of the last 7 coaches were failures. That doesn’t include Jerry Green. These runs don’t just happen because of resources and prior tournament runs. The most important aspect is the people that are hired. I feel better with DW making the hire, but no one is going to hit 100%.

Rick has taken a dumpster fire to a solid program that consistently makes the NCAAT. Yet you fail to say that before Rick, that at least 5 out of the last 7 coaches were failures. That doesn’t include Jerry Green. These runs don’t just happen because of resources and prior tournament runs. The most important aspect is the people that are hired. I feel better with DW making the hire, but no one is going to hit 100%.
No-I specifically addressed the pre-Pearl era so the failure is in your reading comprehension of that part. TN basketball history during the hiring period of those coaches was a couple of good Devoe years and the Ray Mears years. The program saw tournament appearances in every coach since Pearl except Tyndall who had one year and you can’t gauge. That’s a recent history of relevancy in coaching and performance of over a decade. To insinuate we’re going back to the pre-Pearl years means either the program collapses under Rick or Danny white makes the worst hiring decision since Wade Houston. I doubt that either of those happens.

No-I specifically addressed the pre-Pearl era so the failure is in your reading comprehension of that part. TN basketball history during the hiring period of those coaches was a couple of good Devoe years and the Ray Mears years. The program saw tournament appearances in every coach since Pearl except Tyndall who had one year and you can’t gauge. That’s a recent history of relevancy in coaching and performance of over a decade. To insinuate we’re going back to the pre-Pearl years means either the program collapses under Rick or Danny white makes the worst hiring decision since Wade Houston. I doubt that either of those happens.

So, you discussed Kevin O’Neil, Jerry Green, and Buzz Peterson? The Cuonzo Martin era was not successful. Sure, he made a SS, but the other two years weren’t good, and the SS was some luck. And in fact, our program was in trouble post-Pearl with Tyndall until Barnes hired. So, yes, post-Pearl has had some miserable years.

I don’t agree with your last part. Danny White can make a decent hire that doesn’t live up to the standards that we’ve seen the last 8 years. It’s not either/or. In fact, I think the probability is pretty good that we won’t be a top 4 seed in the NCAAT in 4 of 5 tournaments with another coach for a bit. Pearl didn’t even do it. If you want to go to 5 seed, then it’s been 5 straight for Barnes.

But, I am more hopeful with Danny White and Barnes has put us in a good position.

Yeah criticism of Rick is mostly bordering on ridiculous. I get people’s frustration and wanting to win at a high level (shoot I do too) but to vent that anger with unfounded criticism of a future HOF coach who we are so fortunate to have is…well…just plain silly!

A HOF coach that’s on the cusp of being 15 seasons out from the last time he advanced past the Sweet Sixteen. Take into account this will have occurred while coaching at Texas and Tennessee—two places with significant support and resources.

So, you discussed Kevin O’Neil, Jerry Green, and Buzz Peterson? That would be what pre-Pearl means, the years before PearlThe Cuonzo Martin era was not successful. Sure, he made a SS, but the other two years weren’t good, and the SS was some luck. And in fact, our program was in trouble post-Pearl with Tyndall until Barnes hired. So, yes, post-Pearl has had some miserable years. is it fair to judge a coach for a year or two after he’s hired? If so, we’ve only had 4-5 bad years since 2006 under what is objectively an unfair metric. If you don’t count the first two years of each coach it’s even less than that. Nothing after Pearl is a dumpster fire. A dumpster fire was almost every year between end of DeVoe and Pearl. The periods aren’t comparable in terms of success vs misery. Maybe I’ve missed them putting the curtains back up at the Tommy Bowl, let me know if those are back up bc they don’t show that on tv.

I don’t agree with your last part. Danny White can make a decent hire that doesn’t live up to the standards that we’ve seen the last 8 years. It’s not either/or. In fact, I think the probability is pretty good that we won’t be a top 4 seed in the NCAAT in 4 of 5 tournaments with another coach for a bit. Pearl didn’t even do it. If you want to go to 5 seed, then it’s been 5 straight for Barnes. Danny White said in a press conference that his expectation for all programs is an SEC championship every five years. If he fails to secure a coach that meets his expectation then he has to manage that. The programs I listed previously are exceeding expectations relative to where they’ve been, so in addition to his own lofty goals, he’d be failing relative to the rest of the conference and won’t be around if he doesn’t fix it. Again, even a middling effort where we’re not a four seed is very different than getting back to pre-Pearl. That’s all I’m saying. Also- not understanding the Pearl bashing or at least the lack of recognition to those years. Pearl and Rick did a lot for UT. You don’t have to ignore one to prop up the other. I think reasonable fans would take the level of success either coach had after Rick retires.

But, I am more hopeful with Danny White and Barnes has put us in a good position.

A HOF coach that’s on the cusp of being 15 seasons out from the last time he advanced past the Sweet Sixteen. Take into account this will have occurred while coaching at Texas and Tennessee—two places with significant support and resources.
At least you understand he IS a HOF coach. And for the 60 years I’ve followed UT basketball we’ve been anything but consistently strong in men’s basketball. BUT…as stated…I do understand your frustration.

Reactions: vol94

If you think I bashed Pearl, then maybe there is an agenda here. Because I did not. I stated objective facts. I loved Pearl but recognize that is in the past.

If you think Martin continued us on Pearl’s path, then I can’t help that either. He wasn’t recruiting as well or successful on the court other than one three week span. The wheels were falling apart for a 4 year stretch right before Barnes.

Reactions: JohnD13
I'm not sure how old you are but I would love to see anyone take the Vols to a final four in my lifetime.
Not sure how many more years I can keep my fingers crossed.
The volunteer fan base is very loyal and are deserving of at least one FF.

Agree. I’d trade three non tournament yrs for a final four appearance as that gives TN a possible opportunity to compete for the national title.

It’s so difficult to do and will only get harder with the transfer portal.

Reactions: Pennheel
I like Barnes a lot and hope he stays until he is ready to retire. But he really doesn’t seem to have answers with our offensive lapses with this group. When your most aggressive offense player is 5’10 (Zeigler) that may be the issue moreso than anything with this group. It was different with Grant and Admiral. We played like bullies on offense so don’t think it is Barnes. Just the temperament of this group.

You might want to check out the +/- with Uros on the floor. According to VQ, UT was -15 with Uros on the floor and +15 with Aidoo on the floor. Uros is a nice change of pace player but he is not a bunch of minutes player and his +/- stats corroborate that.

I wasn’t aware of that stat but makes sense as Aidoo had some important blocks last nt. Uros gives effort but doesn’t play tall and usually commits a couple of fouls. Plus, if he gets fouled then he will most likely miss, as he is shooting 35% for the yr and something like 3 of 14 down the stretch (includes SEC tourney and last nt 1of 2).

Good to see we’ve reached the point of just making up reasons to criticize him, now.

Sure thing.

A 68 year old who has been coaching for 46 years couldn't possibly be losing a little enthusiasm for his profession and be thinking about what's next in life.

Guy seems a little tired and flustered the second half of this season to me. And he sure doesn't flash as much fire as he used to at Clemson or Texas.

Simple as that.

Some of you guys look for any reason whatsoever to play white night for all of these coaches. Been seeing it going back to Fulmer.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Sure thing.

A 68 year old who has been coaching for 46 years couldn't possibly be losing a little enthusiasm for his profession and be thinking about what's next in life.

Guy seems a little tired and flustered the second half of this season to me. And he sure doesn't flash as much fire as he used to at Clemson or Texas.

Simple as that.

Some of you guys look for any reason whatsoever to play white night for all of these coaches. Been seeing it going back to Fulmer.

Dude, just stop.

Saying he lost his fire is just throwing crap against the wall and see what sticks.

if we can get past Duke…I don’t think we win tomorrow. Honestly I just hope we can keep it close, but if we do somehow get the win, a very real path to the EE8 will be there.

VN Store

Back