Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

So is Rick or Danny White going to be the person responsible for hiring a coach like that when the other 6 schools I mentioned hired good coaches relative to where their programs are? Also-are we writing off the Florida coach in year one? Not sure that’s fair and I don’t see him as any worse than Mike White. This coach beat our team and Mike White couldn’t manage that.

They had one tall kid from Michigan (Castleman) who beat our Vols in a game where we phoned in the effort.

Mike White may indeed be equally terrible. But, at least he is horrible with some experience.

The current gator coach isn't tall enough for Space Mountain at Disney World.

Reactions: UTFanHades
Not calling for his head but this idea when Barnes is gone the program will fall off a cliff and we'll have to settle for a no name is ridiculous. Don't ask me who I would hire. That's Danny Whites job.
Duke and UNC promoted from within. Arizona and Louisville hired assistants. Villanova hired a coach from Fordham.

All of these are demonstrably better basketball jobs than UT and they all hired “no names”

that’s not to say that a “no name” hire can’t be successful. No one knew or really cared who Nate Oats was before Bama hired him. Same with Bruce Pearl here.

But a lot of you seem convinced that just because we have Danny White and a pile of money that we will be able to get any coach we want. Reality is it’s much more likely than not that the next hire will NOT be a sitting Power 6 HC. The only time we’ve ever done that was Jerry Green, but he was leaving to escape a hot seat at Oregon. They pretty much helped him pack. Most of the time, a P6 program is not going to let a coach walk just because another one offers them a ton of money, and if they do, it’s probably because they want the coach to leave and are grateful to dump him on another school while collecting a buyout instead of paying a buyout.

Sometimes you can only laugh when people stupid comments about "lazy" comments
You don't even know the name of Barnes's offense, much less which NBA teams have similar offenses and what keeps more from using it. There's legitimate reasons to have opinions on it, they're just not to be found in this thread.

Reactions: feathersax
Bama/aTm/Mizzou/Vandy/Auburn/Ole Miss are even lower programs than UT and made good hires. Granted, Auburn hired a less than ethical coach and Ole Miss made a deal with the devil. Arky is probably a more historic program and they hired a good coach. Barnes is going to have a lot of competition his last few years and the wins won’t come as easy as they have been. He’s going to have to really want it to leave the program in the shape he built it. If those schools can get a quality coach-so can we. With the arms race our conference is in (especially when Texas joins for basketball), we don’t have a choice. I’m not advocating hiring a Oats/Beard type guy, but we’ll either hire a good coach and continue the program or slip into UGA/UF/USCjr territory.

Bama is the only real comp out of that group. Buzz Williams is from Texas; he was looking to go back. He only left Marquette to VTech because he couldn’t get along with his AD. Those are the situations that are outliers. Vandy is different, and they hired someone who had no head coaching experience. Would like to see the comments on here if we did that. He also hasn’t really done much yet. You mentioned Auburn and Ole Miss- circumstances. Mizzou is a pleasant surprise, and we will see if he can sustain it. But again, imagine the comments on here when we hire Coach McGoogle…because that’s what Gates would have been.

Coaching precedent says we hire a midmajor coach or a P5 assistant. Just like UNC, Duke, Arizona, LSU, Florida, Mizzou have all recently done. DW can identify a good one, but there is always risk.

Duke and UNC promoted from within. Arizona and Louisville hired assistants. Villanova hired a coach from Fordham.

All of these are demonstrably better basketball jobs than UT and they all hired “no names”

that’s not to say that a “no name” hire can’t be successful. No one knew or really cared who Nate Oats was before Bama hired him. Same with Bruce Pearl here.

But a lot of you seem convinced that just because we have Danny White and a pile of money that we will be able to get any coach we want. Reality is it’s much more likely than not that the next hire will NOT be a sitting Power 6 HC. The only time we’ve ever done that was Jerry Green, but he was leaving to escape a hot seat at Oregon. They pretty much helped him pack. Most of the time, a P6 program is not going to let a coach walk just because another one offers them a ton of money, and if they do, it’s probably because they want the coach to leave and are grateful to dump him on another school while collecting a buyout instead of paying a buyout.

The only other coach I think Danny White should pursue any way would be Jay Wright even though he retired.

Most likely he’ll turn it down but he would be my first call after Barnes retires.

I do worry he’s one of these who doesn’t want to compete in NIL which is why he retired in the first place.

I just don't understand why Barnes did not have a 2nd PG ready to play if ZZ went down....

I like Barnes but I think he has checked out mentally to a point after getting the big contract extension from flirting with UCLA.

He is what he is at this point.

A solid but not great coach that can consistently get the team to the tournament who isn't gonna generally inspire or coach his guys to a deep run short of having a TJ Ford or Kevin Durant on the roster.

Who said we could get any coach we wanted?
I'll hang up and listen. 😉

Reactions: Jax_Vol
We reportedly brought much more to the table than that during our last three searches for a football coach, and we struck out every time. Someone will coach for $5mil, but a surefire coach will command more than a high salary.
The football program was in the shitter with NCAA sanctions hovering.
That was an entirely different animal.

I like Barnes but I think he has checked out mentally to a point after getting the big contract extension from flirting with UCLA.

A solid but not great coach that can consistently get the team to the tournament who isn't gonna generally inspire or coach his guys to a deep run short of having a TJ Ford or Kevin Durant on the roster.

I don’t know about that. He has seemed about as intense over the last several weeks as I ever remember. Not joking around after wins much at all - all business and immediately focused on the next game.

Also, I think that the recruiting has been better this side of UCLA’s attempted coach poach than before.

The football program was in the shitter with NCAA sanctions hovering.
That was an entirely different animal.
The only time we’ve ever been able to hire a proven championship caliber coach in *football* was Johnny Majors, who obviously only took the job because he was an alum.

but you think we’re going to be able to get one in basketball?

Reactions: EasternVol
The only time we’ve ever been able to hire a proven championship caliber coach in *football* was Johnny Majors, who obviously only took the job because he was an alum.

This school was run by buffones for decades. Hopefully we are past that.

Reactions: UTFanHades

Having the largest on campus basketball arena that was only a couple of years old didn’t draw TN’s first choice (Pat Kennedy). We ended up with an unproven assistant that went 5-22 5 years later. AND that was BEFORE the 2-decade run of irrelevance.

You people wanting Barnes to be fired or retire are idiots. Who do you think we could possibly get that would be better than him? He has us in the NCAA tournament and ranked year after year.

He's going to retire sooner rather than later, within the next couple years at most.

Good to see we’ve reached the point of just making up reasons to criticize him, now.

Winning 24 games while being checked out is pretty damn impressive.

VN Store

Back