Something that hasn't been mentioned...

I've mentioned that none of the players are his recruits and that he inherited them. He's using what he's got. That's like plugging a dam with chewing gum. It's all he has.....

Anyone have any info on how Coach Shoop is as a recruiter?

Our defense is currently ranked 80th in the country in total offense, down 28 spots from 2015.

Our defense is currently ranked 88th in the country in total defense, down 52 spots from last year.

Our offense has generally not been good except in bursts, no argument there. But our defense has been bad all year long with the exception of the second half vs Florida and here and there vs most everybody else except for Alabama, where we were horrific all game long.

This defense doesn't tackle well, is constantly out of position, it never, ever sets the edge to attempt to turn perimeter plays back in where there's help. It equally has gotten consistently gashed up the middle. And of course, it's like a Madden game when teams throw deep on us and not one single db on the team has shown any tendency to even consider looking back for the football.

We gave up a 100 yard rusher to App State, a 100 yd rusher to Va Tech, a 150+ yard receiver to Ohio, a 300 yard passer to a backup qb and a 130+ yd receiver vs Florida, a 200 yard rusher and a 100 yard rusher, and now two 100 yard rushers vs Bama. So, we've consistently allowed a lot of yards and some very big individual performances in every game we've played in addition to just being generally bad for the majority of the game across the board.

IMHO, Derek Barnett is literally the ONLY true positive associated with our defense this year. Shoop has simply been a disappointment thus far, injuries or no injuries.

Man am I glad the first half is over. So we have to win out with our second or third team, and maybe more stretchers. This team has given their all like no other. See u in Atlanta.

Reactions: 1 person
regarding the defense.

I see A LOT of fans, etc. questioning Shoop and the defensive production, but not ONCE has anyone mentioned that this is YEAR ONE of a brand new defense.

Considering that... I think that the defense has done very well.

Yes, we've been gashed here or there, but isn't that normal when instituting a brand new scheme? Shouldn't those breakdowns be expected in the first year.

I believe so.

IMO... before anyone can really start critiquing, let's give it ample time for implementation.

It certainly was with sensuri!

PSU in 2014 went 7-6
Tougher games were Michigan, Michigan St and Ohio St. Defense stat padded by Akron, Temple, Illinois, UMass, Rutgers, UCF, northwestern, Indiana and Maryland. Vols would have a great Defense with that schedule. Played BC in a bowl

Man am I glad the first half is over. So we have to win out with our second or third team, and maybe more stretchers. This team has given their all like no other. See u in Atlanta.

We're not gonna "have to win out with our second or third team".....that's a major overstatement and it's incorrect.

We're gonna have to win out without our 2nd string running back (Kamara) on offense, and our best LB (JRM), our best CB (Sutton), a 2nd/3rd string LB (Sapp), a 1st string DT (D OBrien) and a 2nd string DT ((KMac).

So to sum up, after the open date, we will have the following starters available for the homestretch....

Qb- Dobbs, 1st string
Rb- Hurd, 1st string
Rb- Kelly, 3rd string
TE- Wolf, 1st string
WR- Malone, 1st string
WR- Jennings, 1st string
Slot- Smith/Byrd, 1st string
C- Wiseman/Thomas, 1st string
RG- Jones, 1st string
RT- Hall, 1st string
LG- Robertson
LT- Kendrick

Defense-

DE- Barnett, 1st string
DT- Vickers, 1st string
DT- Tuttle, 1st/2nd string
DE- Vereen, 1st string
MLB- DKJr, 1st string
LB- Jumper, 2nd string
Nickel- Gaulden, 1st string
CB- Moseley, 1st string
CB- Foreman, 2nd string
S- TKJr, 1st string
S- Abernathy, 1st string

Special Teams-

K- Medley, 1st string
P- Daniel, 1st string
KR- Berry, 1st string
PR- Smith/Byrd, 2nd string

So....still think we will have to "win out with our 2nd or 3rd string"? If you do, you're very much just flat out wrong.

We're not gonna "have to win out with our second or third team".....that's a major overstatement and it's incorrect.

We're gonna have to win out without our 2nd string running back (Kamara) on offense, and our best LB (JRM), our best CB (Sutton), a 2nd/3rd string LB (Sapp), a 1st string DT (D OBrien) and a 2nd string DT ((KMac).

So to sum up, after the open date, we will have the following starters available for the homestretch....

Qb- Dobbs, 1st string
Rb- Hurd, 1st string
Rb- Kelly, 3rd string
TE- Wolf, 1st string
WR- Malone, 1st string
WR- Jennings, 1st string
Slot- Smith/Byrd, 1st string
C- Wiseman/Thomas, 1st string
RG- Jones, 1st string
RT- Hall, 1st string
LG- Robertson
LT- Kendrick

Defense-

DE- Barnett, 1st string
DT- Vickers, 1st string
DT- Tuttle, 1st/2nd string
DE- Vereen, 1st string
MLB- DKJr, 1st string
LB- Jumper, 2nd string
Nickel- Gaulden, 1st string
CB- Moseley, 1st string
CB- Foreman, 2nd string
S- TKJr, 1st string
S- Abernathy, 1st string

Special Teams-

K- Medley, 1st string
P- Daniel, 1st string
KR- Berry, 1st string
PR- Smith/Byrd, 2nd string

So....still think we will have to "win out with our 2nd or 3rd string"? If you do, you're very much just flat out wrong.

Can you do that again and add the players in the 2 deep? ♡

I want it now.

They say the future is bright, you see,
But losing sucks. I want victory!
I need winning (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want)

*No apologies to Barry Gordy or Smokey Robinson. None.

VN Store

Back