Something that hasn't been mentioned...

jeff1vol

regarding the defense.

I see A LOT of fans, etc. questioning Shoop and the defensive production, but not ONCE has anyone mentioned that this is YEAR ONE of a brand new defense.

Considering that... I think that the defense has done very well.

Yes, we've been gashed here or there, but isn't that normal when instituting a brand new scheme? Shouldn't those breakdowns be expected in the first year.

I believe so.

IMO... before anyone can really start critiquing, let's give it ample time for implementation.

Reactions: 18 people
I'll expect much better national rankings and production next year with the talent we have returning.

Reactions: 5 people
The genius was his own worst enemy by saying before the season no one would run on us. Now he is wiping that poop off his face.

Reactions: 10 people
I've mentioned that none of the players are his recruits and that he inherited them. He's using what he's got. That's like plugging a dam with chewing gum. It's all he has.....

Reactions: 2 people
The genius was his own worst enemy by saying before the season no one would run on us. Now he is wiping that poop off his face.

When he lost his lockdown corner and the linebackers who were supposed to be a team strength, it kinda limited his options.

Reactions: 21 people
Hard to have a great defense when half your defensive starters are hurt. Shoop isn't responsible for that. I wish fans would stop blaming the coaches for every little thing that goes on.

Reactions: 19 people
Shoop did say after his hiring that he was going to scheme to what those kids knew last year, from language to the type of defense ran. Normally a new DC would just scrap defensive scheme right off the bat for their own and start recruiting for their type of play. He was trying to keep some fluency with those that were returning and I applaud him for "going against his grain" in regards to scheme and personnel. Is it what we want to see or what we expected? NO.....but it is year one and as "his" recruits start filling the voids and the remaining are slowly implementing his scheme, I think his defense will disrupt SEC offenses effectively. FWIW, he is shutting down offenses after the adjustments. Last week was just time to pay the piper with all the injuries.

Reactions: 7 people
im good with shoop, his second half adjustments have proved to do us well for the majority of the season, maybe not everyone is happy but i aint upset at shoop.....

Reactions: 7 people
Total Defense - 88

Rush Defense - 107

Pass yards allowed - 43

Out of 128 FBS schools.

regarding the defense.

I see A LOT of fans, etc. questioning Shoop and the defensive production, but not ONCE has anyone mentioned that this is YEAR ONE of a brand new defense.

What happened to the 'Ol "Year Zero" mindset?

regarding the defense.

Yes, we've been gashed here or there, but isn't that normal when instituting a brand new scheme? Shouldn't those breakdowns be expected in the first year.

I believe so.

IMO... before anyone can really start critiquing, let's give it ample time for implementation.

Sorry, but the Shoopers were telling us how much better we were going to be THIS YEAR with Shoop at the helm. Our defense last year was really good, except for on 4th down. Since we had talent, many people thought Shoop would come in and improve on Jancek's D immediately.
:pilot:

I've got mixed feelings on Shoop's production thus far.

On one hand, our defense this year has mostly played without most of our best players and has been pretty good to downright dominate in the second half at times.

On the other hand, this will likely end up being the first year he's ever NOT had a top 25 defense as a power 5 D.C.

HOW!? You can't tell me that our defense (even with so many injuries) is worse than what he had to work with year one at Vandy.

It's hard to wrap my head around.

Reactions: 3 people
Grass is always greener.

I am extremely excited about Shoop. If nothing else the man made Colton Jumper into a ball player, Moseley and Foreman as well.

Debord's offense has put Shoop in some VERY bad positions this year. I would hope everyone can see that.

My only real issue with Shoop so far, is the rushing yards allowed.

It's absurd.

(I know all about the injuries...thanks)

regarding the defense.

I believe so.

So, what your saying is Sal Sunseri deserved another year?

The defense isn't any better under Debord. You realize Alabama has a 1st year coordinator.

regarding the defense.

I believe so.

First year at Vanderbilt, #18 in the country in total defense.

First year at Penn State, #2 in the country in total defense

First year at Tennessee, through 7 games, #88 in the country in total defense.

Jeremy Pruitt is in his first year as D Coordinator at Bama. Granted he has better players, but they don't have many blown assignments so it looks like they're picking up the system pretty well.

VN Store

Back