Something rotten w/ DL recruiting

Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?
Truly surprising considering our DL has improved. Remember we get Gooden back next year and Solomon returns.
Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?
We will be returning all 14 of our DL next year and reading the list it looks like we will have a lot of experience among those returners. Considering our DL is improving, it is the only thing I can think of. We might also be in line for some even better DLs as well which certainly would scare solid DLs away. Just guesses.

I just posted about Crouch. I love this kid and hoping the best for him. I can see in his play that you are right about him and I hope he takes to the position. He has the body for it. As far as JJ Peterson goes I saw him in the game he did play and and the kid was moving around really well. Laid a lick on someone and seemed to cover pretty well so I just don't know what is going on there. If the light comes on for him it will be a huge benefit for the team.
I still wonder if he (Peterson) doesn't get a look at filling DT's void next year. Would need a healthy labrum and add some LB's but I think assignments are simplified...

Reactions: LittleVol
I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think coaches necessarily recruit the Players for the position they coach. These position coaches have territories they recruit in. Rocker does not necessarily recruit just DL players and Tee doesn’t just recruit WRs. Coach Rocker may or may not be a great recruiter, but he isn’t the only reason for lack of DL signees.

Reactions: HalfullVol
DL rotation is much heavier than an OL. Takes more DL players due to that. Our depth will still offer plenty of PT to high caliber players in the rotation.

It’s possible, but it’s gonna be hard to get PT when you have
Gooden
Middleton
Solomon
Bumphus
Williams
Garland
Butler
Mincey
Simmons
Harris

Who all have a huge jump on those “said players” strength and conditioning wise, as well as experience.

Reactions: HalfullVol
With 14 DL returning next year along with most of the secondary, I would be surprised if we don't finish in top 5 total defense next season.

It’s possible, but it’s gonna be hard to get PT when you have
Gooden
Middleton
Solomon
Bumphus
Williams
Garland
Butler
Mincey
Simmons
Harris

Who all have a huge jump on those “said players” strength and conditioning wise, as well as experience.
At least half those names ain't scaring anybody away.

Didn't we just land commitments from 2 4-star LBs and their 3-star teammate from Memphis just a couple of weeks ago?

Indeed, and those three are deep in. Their admirable attitudes and work habits compliment their physical talents. We'll just have to see how they work out, but as of this moment I am sanguine about the Memphis three.

and there is NO WAY POSSIBLE they could improve by next year!
I didn't say that, jack. There are some good names there and a lot of solid players. I said they aren't scaring anyone away. Hell, a lot of those names don't even play even on a semi regular basis.

Maybe it will come together...we are dragging on our on state top d-line talent.
Anderson had Tenn as a lock, something went wrong with the new staff..

Got to see this kid (Anderson) real close when USC played Tenn..Kid look like a beast. He looked much bigger than all Of USC other Edge rushers.. I was told he won USC Defensive player award for the spring and a beast ,just got two senior in front of him..

WE we should have had J Hardy another one of Tenn top kid... now we hoping for Reggie..
Most of these kids must be coached and developed anyway, so why not take them...besides spending useless time in Georgia

I agree with op. Not only can we offer immediate playing time but also Pruitt has an incredible track record when it comes to working with outside linebackers and defensive ends. He’s helped get a ton of them drafted. Why can we not land several good ones especially when they are right in our back yard I have no idea. But I agree whoever is in charge of this position group needs to be fired.
Up until a couple weeks ago, we've looked like crap for2 years. That's why

Thought Pruitt was a elite recruiter so far I’ve been disappointed.

Log off. This take is hot garbage. The perception of our program is a dumpster fire. We've been owned by Vandy and have won 9 games the past two years. 17 year old kids right now have literally never seen Tennessee compete for anything in their lives and don't think of UT as a top program. Pruitt signed two 5 stars last cycle with two additional kids who barely dropped out of 5 star range.

So you can shut the hell up with that dumb@ss He CAnT CrOoT nonsense.

Indeed, and those three are deep in. Their admirable attitudes and work habits compliment their physical talents. We'll just have to see how they work out, but as of this moment I am sanguine about the Memphis three.

Sanguine ain’t a football word

The bolded is just simply not true. From @VOLUNTEERSZN post on the previous page it's pretty obvious that we will have a pretty solid DL rotation going into next season. Sure, there will always be an opportunity for elite talent to earn PT, but it's not a given. Look at the top 4/5/6 names. Hard to believe that they wouldn't have a leg up on PT over any incoming freshman next season IMO.

Gooden - RS Senior
Emerson - RS Sophomore
Middleton - Junior
Solomon - Junior
Butler - RS Senior
Bumphus - RS Senior
Blakely - RS Senior
Williams - RS Junior
Garland - RS Sophomore
Mincey - Junior
Simmons - RS Freshman
Harris - RS Sophomore
D. Bailey - Freshman.
thats a good looking group that will all play

Reactions: ionaVOL
Maybe it will come together...we are dragging on our on state top d-line talent.
Anderson had Tenn as a lock, something went wrong with the new staff..

Got to see this kid (Anderson) real close when USC played Tenn..Kid look like a beast. He looked much bigger than all Of USC other Edge rushers.. I was told he won USC Defensive player award for the spring and a beast ,just got two senior in front of him..

WE we should have had J Hardy another one of Tenn top kid... now we hoping for Reggie..
Most of these kids must be coached and developed anyway, so why not take them...besides spending useless time in Georgia
Hardy doesn’t want to be a Vol then the H*ll with him. Plus he trolled the staff all this time and is trying to influence Baron away from UT. I would rather have the young man who committed today a thousand times over.

Which names and please provide an analysis on each player’s potential? We need the details from an insider like you.
Sure...Savion Williams because he doesn't play.

Elijah Simmons bc he doesn't play.

John Mincey bc he doesn't play much.

I could go on but it's pointless. I never said that a single one doesn't have potential. I said they aren't scaring recruits away.

Maybe you should read what i said and not what you wanted me to say.

Nor did I ever claim to be an insider. But I bet my bottom dollar that I played more football than you have.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back