Something rotten w/ DL recruiting

Thought Pruitt was a elite recruiter so far I’ve been disappointed.

Pruitt was an elite recruiter at programs that have been at or near the top of the food chain in the 21st century. He is now recruiting at a program that has been mediocre to downright abysmal the 10-15 years. He is having to recruit against a lot of negative recruiting and against programs with well established bagmen systems. What elite talent he has been able to get so far, and he definitely is getting elite talent, has been because of his elite reputation and the recruiting skills of some of the guys he has hired, not because of UT's reputation in the 21st century.

And I will point out that the DL talent we do have right now is being developed very well as we see how much they have progressed as a unit in the last 2 months. If we see continued improvement and finish the season strong I have no doubt recruits will be taking notice.

Pruitt was an elite recruiter at programs that have been at or near the top of the food chain in the 21st century. He is now recruiting at a program that has been mediocre to downright abysmal the 10-15 years. He is having to recruit against a lot of negative recruiting and against programs with well established bagmen systems. What elite talent he has been able to get so far, and he definitely is getting elite talent, has been because of his elite reputation and the recruiting skills of some of the guys he has hired, not because of UT's reputation in the 21st century.

And I will point out that the DL talent we do have right now is being developed very well as we see how much they have progressed as a unit in the last 2 months. If we see continued improvement and finish the season strong I have no doubt recruits will be taking notice.

Good points, I believe that an underdeveloped 3 star can become a 5 star player in a couple years with good coaching. Some 4,stars never get better Dillon Bates is a good example.

id also like to add that i still question Pruitt's capabilities as a HBC. i feel like a bowl game would go a long way toward shushing the critics, ergo the Muschump recruiters.

No excuse for losing guys whove been to your campus 6-8 times.

I know people at McCallie who told me 2 months ago Hardy was not coming to TN. My guess is the coaches may have known that too.

Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?

i don’t think you can reasonably say that we can offer immediate playing time to
Freshman defensive lineman when we
Bring back are entire defensive line next year. We’re gonna be loaded next year so these kids realize that and it affects their decision.

Rocker really didn’t have a lot to do with this thing falling apart with Hardy. However I will say that he is not one to hit the ground running on the trail which can be said for Chaney as well. I think we may see that change in the near future.

Atlanta Vol my problem is that we have immediate play in 2 man rotation all over the field and the better instate kids this year spurn us. All except the Memphis trio. This was going to be one of the better years for instate talent and the 4* and 5* players that could have an immediate impact in the 2020 class chose other teams.
It has an even bigger impact in Pruitt's 4th year when we expected to be back into competition with the Ga.'s and Fla's. It's all about getting those big recruits in early on in Pruitts tenure

Look at ugas last 2 years on the Dline, loaded with 5 stars and very average production.....meanwhile our patchwork Dline is tearing it up. Let someone else recruit Dline, just let rocker coach them.
Their DL is apparently pretty good this year, they have yet to give up a rushing touchdown.

Reactions: a vol n tears
Maybe it is the position coaching and Tennessee is improving but this is the first year. Recruits after seeing the first weeks of this thinking it was the same old crap.

Losing Hardy today to Auburn - and Ojulari decommitting two weeks ago for LSU - will have an impact on the team going forward next year. We need DL (especially DE’s), but can’t seem to land any top tier players. What is Rocker’s perception as a recruiter? With immediate playing time to offer, why are we having such a hard time with the DL?
duuuuuude. those teams are out performing UT on the field. even the best salesman cant sell a bad product. Pruitt put himself in this position by starting 0-2 and the national media calling UT a complete **** show. Yes, we have improved but anyone outside of the UT ecosystem is not looking at things the same way. do you think Michigan is trending well? probably not, yet they are 7-2 and their fans are pissed. do you think Nebraska is trending well? I am sure Nebraska fans are happier this year than last but the rest of the world would agree that they are far from elite............get my point? you can ask Rocker to sell a recruit on a fantasy when the reality is right there for anyone to see. That kid doesnt want to be part of a rebuild, which is what every kid has been sold on for the last 5+ years. This is a Pruitt in-game coaching issue, not a Tracy Rocker inability to recruit issue.

Sorry to say, but at some point, UT will need to perform on the field with lower rated players before things change. Pruitt is going to have to out-coach and out-develop his competition if he wants a chance to compete for 4 and 5 star kids on a regular basis.

Per Volquest and 247, Hardy told them that he changed his mind based on this last visit to Auburn after telling UT he was coming for months. And this is Auburn. Based on their history, the Hardy family may have driven home to Chattanooga in a much better financial position than on their drive down.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Atlanta Vol my problem is that we have immediate play in 2 man rotation all over the field and the better instate kids this year spurn us. All except the Memphis trio. This was going to be one of the better years for instate talent and the 4* and 5* players that could have an immediate impact in the 2020 class chose other teams.
It has an even bigger impact in Pruitt's 4th year when we expected to be back into competition with the Ga.'s and Fla's. It's all about getting those big recruits in early on in Pruitts tenure

The bolded is just simply not true. From @VOLUNTEERSZN post on the previous page it's pretty obvious that we will have a pretty solid DL rotation going into next season. Sure, there will always be an opportunity for elite talent to earn PT, but it's not a given. Look at the top 4/5/6 names. Hard to believe that they wouldn't have a leg up on PT over any incoming freshman next season IMO.

Gooden - RS Senior
Emerson - RS Sophomore
Middleton - Junior
Solomon - Junior
Butler - RS Senior
Bumphus - RS Senior
Blakely - RS Senior
Williams - RS Junior
Garland - RS Sophomore
Mincey - Junior
Simmons - RS Freshman
Harris - RS Sophomore
D. Bailey - Freshman.

Per Volquest and 247, Hardy told them that he changed his mind based on this last visit to Auburn after telling UT he was coming for months. And this is Auburn. Based on their history, the Hardy family may have driven home to Chattanooga in a much better financial position than on their drive down.

😳

Not surprised.

Auburn is shady as they come.

Thought Pruitt was a elite recruiter so far I’ve been disappointed.

He is. The fact that he was able to pull Crouch, To'oTo'o, and Wright last year was phenomenal. Every Top school wanted these guys. I agree that this year so far is disappointing, but I am optimistic that he will close strong. Hardy is mind boggling though, and he needs to figure out what happened to cause him to change his mind.

The bolded is just simply not true. From @VOLUNTEERSZN post on the previous page it's pretty obvious that we will have a pretty solid DL rotation going into next season. Sure, there will always be an opportunity for elite talent to earn PT, but it's not a given. Look at the top 4/5/6 names. Hard to believe that they wouldn't have a leg up on PT over any incoming freshman next season IMO.

Gooden - RS Senior
Emerson - RS Sophomore
Middleton - Junior
Solomon - Junior
Butler - RS Senior
Bumphus - RS Senior
Blakely - RS Senior
Williams - RS Junior
Garland - RS Sophomore
Mincey - Junior
Simmons - RS Freshman
Harris - RS Sophomore
D. Bailey - Freshman.

You have room in 2 man rotation
RB
OL
WR
LB
DB

This isnt true, look beyond the stars.

Exactly, look at player development. The only player I can think of that has regressed is Guarantano. All other position groups seem to have improved. Guarantano's regression affected the whole team and ultimately caused a few losses that we would have otherwise won probably.

VN Store

Back