Something has changed…

So the enjoyment of college ball was in knowing the players were doing it without being paid cash?

That's weird.

Also strange for all of those reasons, yet NFL is now better iyo.

And what, exactly, made being a coach any more "their profession" than the players, other than the mere facade of amateurism? College coaches once upon a time were teachers, like most HS coaches. Then one day the sport had grown...paid more...became employees as coaches. Then came TV money and suddenly they're the highest paid public employee. Nowhere in there was any change - other than increased money. Same as for the players. Once the money is available, they're professionals.

Student-athlete is correct. See what comes first? And guess what? Because they are athletes their education is paid for. Almost all
Other students have to pay for their education.
Because they haven't worked and honed a skill worthy of a scholarship. Some (many) academics do the same.

Well-deserved scholarships.

So the enjoyment of college ball was in knowing the players were doing it without being paid cash?

That's weird.

Also strange for all of those reasons, yet NFL is now better iyo.

And what, exactly, made being a coach any more "their profession" than the players, other than the mere facade of amateurism? College coaches once upon a time were teachers, like most HS coaches. Then one day the sport had grown...paid more...became employees as coaches. Then came TV money and suddenly they're the highest paid public employee. Nowhere in there was any change - other than increased money. Same as for the players. Once the money is available, they're professionals.
The logic escapes me too. Anybody that has paid attention knows that there's been money funneled to college athletes one way or the other for years.

Reactions: zjcvols and Devo182
The logic escapes me too. Anybody that has paid attention knows that there's been money funneled to college athletes one way or the other for years.
Maybe it's anecdotal because I'm a Tennessee fan, but I can't help but notice that all of this hand-wringing about NIL, the portal, etc. comes mostly from fans of currently struggling programs, or programs perceived by their fans to be on the wrong side of it in the moment. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I’ve been saying that the SEC should disband from the NCAA and treat its conference championship as the national championship. SEC doesn’t need the rest of the conferences to survive and they are trying to band together and form alliances to keep the SEC from making decisions anyways. Those conferences better be carful what they wish for.
Gross. So just screw the entire national game? We'll just take our ball and go play in a 16 team league? No thanks.

CFB is at its height when teams are spread out and the entire country is invested. This Sankey little man syndrome trying to wreck the game (note - as no professional league with a strong front office would ever allow for the sake of the game's health) is bad for the game as a whole. Pure greed and stupidity.

Reactions: Raebo
Maybe it's anecdotal because I'm a Tennessee fan, but I can't help but notice that all of this hand-wringing about NIL, the portal, etc. comes mostly from fans of currently struggling programs. I don't think that's a coincidence.
That's exactly what it is. The NIL hand-wringing is mostly people just not understanding what NIL even is.

The portal complaints are probably a little more valid. Taking away the transfer sit out year means this is both the best and the worst time to be one of the have-nots. It sucked watching all that talent walk away last year, but can you imagine what 2021 would've liked like without Hendon Hooker?

What you described in this post is the reason the colleges need to push this out into a farm league and let the NFL and media control this and pay for it. This has nothing to do with academics anymore.
Tell that to Josh Dobbs.

Student-athlete graduation rates are very high these days. Higher than for regular students. And look at all the grad degrees these days going to VFLs.

Let's not act like every kid is Cardale Jones. Most of them know reality and are getting a degree while shooting for their dream. It may not be about academics to the fans or all coaches or every single SA, but it's big for a vast majority of NCAA SAs.

I loved going to those NAIA championship games in Savannah. Those were some great games. Some excellent coaching was on display also.
Been to those games "rumble on the river"
I played NAIA football, and we played for the love of the game. The sport was pure. There was actual love for teammates and camaraderie that was sacred. The idea of sitting out a game (letting my teammates down), transferring out because I am not getting my way...didn't happen. You put your head down, worked hard, worked out, improved and EARNED EVERYTHING YOU GOT. I was the first person in my family to go to college. It changed my life. In my mind, that is payment enough for the work I put in and what I got out of it.

The game doesn’t feel authentic to me anymore. I am becoming more of an NFL fan because of it.

I used to like college football so much more than I do now. I used to feel the game was more passionate and the players play harder because they are trying to get to the league. I have always loved the pageantry and traditions of each school. It makes it special.

That has changed now with the portal and NIL. There are still student athletes but they share the field with professionals now. Once you get money that is what you are. Not every school has the same access to capital. The haves and have nots are even further solidified. The spectacle that is signing day, the selfish entitled behaviors, no loyalty, skipping bowls, using the portal as leverage to get a payout, it sucks.

I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now.
stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.

We need to hang on till we see how the NCAA reacts to forced application of both the new One Time Transfer rules and NIL. They should be able to create new rules to maintain some level of fairness.

The Portal Replacements is the first effort to combat the impact of movement. They previously made it the school's discretion to not have to count their schollie upon the players entry and putting their paid school in jeopardy.

I predict they will try to follow the Pro's lead and establish NIL cap limits on schools. This will not limit the players ability to get their money, but will keep things in check just like COUNTER limits . They can attend the school of their choice as long as they fit in under the cap. Exceed the cap and they will become eligible to transfer, firts time or not. I also would expect them to rule that any player registering their NIL status count against the counter limit, on schollie or not. This will create roster management decisions as to going for a few big buck guys or having lots of smaller deals within the cap. Players cannot hide behind being damaged by transfer rules anymore. Lots of schools out there that will have available counters and cap room. Might also see requirements that all NIL deals for the following season be registered by a date certain.

Going to be a process. These are not changes desired by the NCAA.

Reactions: D-rock
The game doesn’t feel authentic to me anymore. I am becoming more of an NFL fan because of it.

I used to like college football so much more than I do now. I used to feel the game was more passionate and the players play harder because they are trying to get to the league. I have always loved the pageantry and traditions of each school. It makes it special.

That has changed now with the portal and NIL. There are still student athletes but they share the field with professionals now. Once you get money that is what you are. Not every school has the same access to capital. The haves and have nots are even further solidified. The spectacle that is signing day, the selfish entitled behaviors, no loyalty, skipping bowls, using the portal as leverage to get a payout, it sucks.

I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now.
stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.

Jmo but I think we should take away their meal plans and dorms.

I'll only really know if a kid is doing it for the love of the game if they're starving and homeless. Then I can get back to enjoying college football and its pageantry again.

I played NAIA football, and we played for the love of the game. The sport was pure. There was actual love for teammates and camaraderie that was sacred. The idea of sitting out a game (letting my teammates down), transferring out because I am not getting my way...didn't happen. You put your head down, worked hard, worked out, improved and EARNED EVERYTHING YOU GOT. I was the first person in my family to go to college. It changed my life. In my mind, that is payment enough for the work I put in and what I got out of it.
It didn't happen because NAIA kids don't have millions of dollars at stake, not because they are better people or "more pure" than kids who play D1.

Reactions: Devo182
A free education should be enough. Maybe give each athlete $200.00 a month.

Reactions: onevol74 and D-rock
A free education should be enough. Maybe give each athlete $200.00 a month.
Why should a player not have a shot at making what a market determines he can make? These players are the primary attraction in an enterprise that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars a year. The coaches, admin people, and the media make millions. What's the justification, other than "I don't like it," for barring players from making money while everybody else associated with the enterprise can? I've never heard anybody say that the media, coaches, or admin people making millions make the game "less pure."

How have you determined that a free education or $2400/year is "enough" for a player? Is there any other endeavor or business where we'd do that?

D Rock... You really stirred it. Good Job. I am glad to see there are several people who feel the same way. College football will never be what it was when the players played hard to get noticed by the NFL. They were loyal to a school. They got their education. The world hasn't changed in the last 2 years. It changed as soon as the portal became an option and now with NIL it will never be the same. It will be tough to be 100% invested when you have no clue what the next year will bring. Its crazy to think that a kid that is a second string player that has to work to get playing time will remail committed. I noticed on the NFL games that alot of these pros are coming from schools that are extremely small but are private and have money. If you are a great player it doesn't matter it you go to UT, Al, or OS. You will get noticed. You want a good examle? Henry To'oto'o. Does he get the same recognition here as he does at Bama? He may not go pro but he has more of a shot there than he did here. I will say, IMO, it really sucks. There has never been and probably never will be again the joy of waking up on a Saturday morning and looking forward to watching those players that would die for their team or watch those players play their hearts out in order for that 1% chance to make it into the NFL. Sadly, those days are long gone....

Reactions: D-rock
Wait...NIL is the problem now that they're doing what they've always been doing legally?

Might I remind you we're in NCAA trouble because we were paying players?
You think these big time dudes in the 90s and 2000s were here....for free?

Reactions: GAVol
Gross. So just screw the entire national game? We'll just take our ball and go play in a 16 team league? No thanks.

CFB is at its height when teams are spread out and the entire country is invested. This Sankey little man syndrome trying to wreck the game (note - as no professional league with a strong front office would ever allow for the sake of the game's health) is bad for the game as a whole. Pure greed and stupidity.
Blame the other conferences for forming an alliance. That means they are aligned on all major decisions rendering the SEC’s vote useless. They got upset because Texas and Oklahoma are coming and they missed out. Not the SEC’s fault that those teams want to join.

Wait...NIL is the problem now that they're doing what they've always been doing legally?

Might I remind you we're in NCAA trouble because we were paying players?
You think these big time dudes in the 90s and 2000s were here....for free?
The only thing that has changed is the level of denial.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and jwells
D Rock... You really stirred it. Good Job. I am glad to see there are several people who feel the same way. College football will never be what it was when the players played hard to get noticed by the NFL. They were loyal to a school. They got their education. The world hasn't changed in the last 2 years. It changed as soon as the portal became an option and now with NIL it will never be the same. It will be tough to be 100% invested when you have no clue what the next year will bring. Its crazy to think that a kid that is a second string player that has to work to get playing time will remail committed. I noticed on the NFL games that alot of these pros are coming from schools that are extremely small but are private and have money. If you are a great player it doesn't matter it you go to UT, Al, or OS. You will get noticed. You want a good examle? Henry To'oto'o. Does he get the same recognition here as he does at Bama? He may not go pro but he has more of a shot there than he did here. I will say, IMO, it really sucks. There has never been and probably never will be again the joy of waking up on a Saturday morning and looking forward to watching those players that would die for their team or watch those players play their hearts out in order for that 1% chance to make it into the NFL. Sadly, those days are long gone....

The problem is that this "loyalty" was more of a handcuff than inner pride. Because I get paid I can't be loyal and have pride in my work?

The problem y'all have is that kids can't get coerced to schools with lies, treated like ****, and then be left with the option of living under ******* coaches or sitting out a whole year hoping the new place is better.

The problem is that y'all have no issue with coaches and administrators getting rich, but draw the line when players get some money?

This is the front end of NIL. It's the wild west. It will settle out once the NCAA/Government gets a handle of what to do to keep it under control.

My son is (thankfully) on an academic acholarship. Why is he allowed to earn money but an athlete shouldn't?
The kid on a band scholarship can make money giving lessons or playing in a concert (assuming there are people willing to pay him). The football player wasn't allowed to before NIL.

That's one of the biggest "distinction without a difference" things out there.

Reactions: Devo182 and D-rock
NIL and the portal have zero effect on the product on the field on a given day. Y'all are just in your feelings. I'd argue that the quality of the product is as good as it's ever been.

Reactions: zjcvols and Raebo
just keep scrolling on troll. Don't feel the need to jump into the conversation if you don't like it. keep it moving.

You just like to slop sling, otherwise you'd not continue going back and forth on this. I know your type and how to stop it.

Because they haven't worked and honed a skill worthy of a scholarship. Some (many) academics do the same.

Well-deserved scholarships.
Incorrect on the many. I’ve had 2 kids go to college. And guess what? It wasn’t free.

VN Store

Back