Something has changed…

Let’s play a little game. Let’s say, the total amount you get from UT for everything (tuition, books, nutrition, training, lodging, etc) of being a football player is 60K. Maybe a little aggressive/maybe a little conservative. Now let’s take 85 scholarships players (yes I know walk ons are not included) and times that by 60K. That’s $5.1M

Now, every pro league has a 50/50 split minimum for revenue and streaming. Now the $68M SEC schools being paid per year starting in 2024 will be used for the whole AD but for the sake of the argument let’s just look at the % of what these kids get for 60K…they get 7.5% of that television contracts…and that doesn’t include other revenue from tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc.

Even if you put 100K on each kid for 85 scholarships, that’s still only 12.5%…yet you people want to bitch about NIL and transfers? Come on.

Here’s the issue with NIL- it’s totally unregulated. There’s no concept of fairness. In the NFL, you have a salary cap. That would be tough to implement when private businesses are paying for an athlete’s likeness- but at this point, players aren’t ONLY being paid for their likeness, they’re also getting backchannel “NIL” deals that don’t require anything of them. Just to be clear, I don’t have a problem with NIL, and I don’t have a problem with paying players a salary so long as those are done above board and in a way that equitable between teams.

For instance- many on this board think TAMU has the deepest pockets in the SEC. Does that give them the right to come in and pay whatever it takes to win? Not long term- because if they did, it would ruin the conference for the other members. Now if TAMU’s players are in front of more eyeballs every week and that causes their brand to be worth more, okay. But these guaranteed “NIL” deals to prospects are not contracts to use that player’s “Name Image and Likeness,” they are salaries to play football. Long term, the fix is:

1) allow players to be paid in a regulated way with a salary cap set by the conference
2) the conference MUST police NIL deals to ensure that it is a bona-fide NIL deal- you need to show up, sponsor a product, and add value. No more six figure payments through BoosterFund LLC. That’s gotta go.

Also, I get that the players have value but the value does come in large part from the platform the SEC provides them. If the payouts go unregulated it will KILL the entertainment value of the league and you’ll end up with MLB where only a third of the franchises can ever realistically afford to field a championship team, viewership will drop, then there’ll be less money to go around. It’s in the best interest of all parties to make sure that players are paid in a way that is fair but maintains the competitiveness of the league.

Reactions: D-rock
That’s your opinion. I stated mine. The difference is I won’t attack you for stating yours on a message board. Neither of us are “right” because it is how we see it. That’s the point.
See you're actually wrong. I know I'm right because I was a college athlete that got real familiar with how "bag men" operated. You may not like it, but it's a fact, which makes you wrong. As an example Pruitt got busted paying players, and as shocked as you may be to hear this, he didn't start this practice.

It boggles my mind how many people on this board are pro capitalism/pro-choice, yet get mad when 18-22 year old people make decisions on money and what’s best for them.

The hypocrisy literally blows my mind
What's even better is that these idiots didn't realize that players have always gotten paid. I got first hand experience at how "bag men" worked when I was a college athlete. Also, because they are too dumb to realize, Jeremy Pruitt was paying players and he definitely didn't invent the practice.

See you're actually wrong. I know I'm right because I was a college athlete that got real familiar with how "bag men" operated. You may not like it, but it's a fact, which makes you wrong. As an example Pruitt got busted paying players, and as shocked as you may be to hear this, he didn't start this practice.
🤣🤣🤣 reading comprehension may not be your strong suit. It might be difficult for you to see from atop your high moral ground. I know that money has been a part of it forever, I know what “bag men” are. I kkow that Jeremy Pruitt didn’t start the practice. That’s a nice straw man for you to pull out of thin air. For ****s sake dude, all I am trying to say is that opening the floodgates for money to players is changing the game. You disagree, cool story bro. If it changes in my view (and I am not alone in feeling this way) then that is what it is. Your thoughts on it don’t invalidate mine or vice versa. I was a “college athlete” too and know very well how teams play for the love of the game, teammates and love for a university. That’s not a convenient fact for you though. It has helped shape my world view just like your experiences shaped yours. You like to see the **** show of what CFB is right now, cool, enjoy it. To me it’s a little cringe. I will keep watching until I decide it jumps the shark. I suspect their will be some regulation at some point. Miss me with the “don’t watch then bs.” You can keep scrolling and stop trolling. Done with you fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigorangedan23
Not pointing this directly at you but geez there's been a lot of these posts. The whining is getting nauseating . If a game made me this miserable I'd quit watching. No its not ending for the millionth time. Schools will adapt or get left behind.
I went from passionate fan of college football to only watching if the Vols are on. The game has no passion with NIL money. Being loyal to your team use to mean something. Now it’s just me me me. I can’t change it other than not watch it. It’s a sad state of affairs….

Reactions: D-rock

VN Store

Back