Something has changed…

The USFL is partnering with Strategic Education, Inc., a leader in online education, to offer its players and league staff a tuition-free, debt-free college degree program.

USFL players and staff can enroll at Strategic Education's Strayer University and Capella University, both institutionally accredited universities that support busy working adults in achieving their academic goals. Staff and players will be able to undertake tuition-free coursework online through Capella University or online and in-person at Strayer University, giving them the flexibility to pursue associate, bachelor's, or master's degrees in business, healthcare, IT, and education, among others.
This reminds of a matchbook I had years ago that advertised "Learn to be a Quantum Mechanic!".

Last edited:
Reactions: D-rock
A couple things.

Players have been getting paid and we have been cheating since before we won a national championship, during, and after.

"They make money so make them pay for it themselves" so should universities make a rule that people on scholarships can't have jobs? Better go tell the local servers at Mellow Mushroom they have to quit their job or pay for school out of pocket. These men are working a full time job that makes the university millions upon millions. They deserve equal compensation.

If the "school having access to capital" was the end all be all why is Jackson State currently pulling better recruits than us? If anything this levels the playing field.

I know you will ignore all these points, but I encourage you to consider them because they are here to stay. If you hate it that much you better give up on college football and go watch our local University of Tennessee Quidditch Club.

That is a fair point about not being able to get jobs. They should at least be able to get work if they want to. I don't know if it actually levels the playing field, maybe it does... I guess we will find out. You were making good points then you ended with a smartass remark that added nothing. I don't hate the Vols, dramatic much? I made an observation that something is changing with college football and it has been for a good while now. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't. Miss me with your reply.

The obvious solution if the sport is discouraging for you is to cease watching CFB. Go fishing more often. Become a fan of roller derby or bowling. Whatever, just stop the whining. Whether desired or not, reality is what it is. One can either accept it or reject it and turn your attention elsewhere. Or, you can, of course, continue to:View attachment 427251
Bless your little heart, you are so triggered after reading a post on a forum. Maybe the solution is for you to keep scrolling you little snowflake.

Reactions: Doberman
D Rock... You hit the nail on the head. I like all the posts about rebuilding. What are we rebuilding for? There will be no loyalty in players as money drives everything. Education isn't as valued anymore and now with the paying of players it even falls more. Schools that are rebuilding will be used as a stepping stones to get to power teams or to teams that are willing to pay a lot of money. I am not saying we can't be a power team but it is what it is. If I was one of these kids and I had to settle for a Tn or a Fl or another school that is rebuilding then I would go there with the idea I would be looking for a money way out. Ga and Al aren't the only programs in the country that can produce cash to pay someone. I think if I were to be offered a cool million at Eastern Michigan I would take it. Just my opinion...
It would be hard not to take the money, right? If I was a young guy coming up it would be in consideration. Nothing wrong with that, that is the game right now.

Something HAS changed. Not sure what the full impacts will be - good or bad - of things like NIL, the transfer portal, etc. It’s easy to see the possible bad things but the good possibilities are less obvious, at least for the moment.

I know I love Tennessee, though. That much is certain. Hope this all turns out well. Only time will tell . . .
Me too. I love the Vols and will always pull for them. hopefully, we can all look back at this in time and it is the best thing for the game. I doubt it... but I am hoping.

The game doesn’t feel authentic to me anymore. I am becoming more of an NFL fan because of it.

I used to like college football so much more than I do now. I used to feel the game was more passionate and the players play harder because they are trying to get to the league. I have always loved the pageantry and traditions of each school. It makes it special.

That has changed now with the portal and NIL. There are still student athletes but they share the field with professionals now. Once you get money that is what you are. Not every school has the same access to capital. The haves and have nots are even further solidified. The spectacle that is signing day, the selfish entitled behaviors, no loyalty, skipping bowls, using the portal as leverage to get a payout, it sucks.

I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now.
stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.

Yes, it does.

That is a very interesting point, and honestly, why not?

Bless your little heart, you are so triggered after reading a post on a forum. Maybe the solution is for you to keep scrolling you little snowflake.

Aren't you precious, triggered by a trigger. And surely you've been told that children really shouldn't play with matches, so hand that matchbook over to an adult..
Seriously, man (or woman) if the current situation of CFB has you so twisted into a knot, just stop watching it. No need to repeat the whines about how it dismays you. Just walk away or Nancy Reagan the sport.

Last edited:
Not pointing this directly at you but geez there's been a lot of these posts. The whining is getting nauseating . If a game made me this miserable I'd quit watching. No its not ending for the millionth time. Schools will adapt or get left behind.
...and these type of posts are hypocritical, because you can always... stop reading.

That’s easier said than done because so many people, especially alumni have very strong emotional and life experiences attached to (any) school. Anyone more than 30 years old falls into this category of having such strong ties to schools success.
I believe there will be another huge seismic shift or two in major college sports. 1) NIL impact and USFL or other pro league, and 2) separation of top level programs from everything else, including NCAA. I believe the SEC will maintain/be the de facto premier AAA of football because it already has fanbases, infrastructure, and marketing baked it: no need to create from scratch. I think the schools will figure out a way to totally throw away the old model and make the major sports programs quasi independent organizations, much like what Tennessee already did with its AD at one point before is was nuanced back into the university hierarchy. Basically the schools will finally cède to the duality of “amateurism” and semi pro and go full paid pro athletes with a payroll. Don’t they almost have to get a commissioner, salary cap and financial structure for everything to be sustainable? Which is why the NCAA was originally created but needs to be scrapped as obsolete.
What you described in this post is the reason the colleges need to push this out into a farm league and let the NFL and media control this and pay for it. This has nothing to do with academics anymore.

It's changed FOR YOU, because you haven't cared about the student-athlete as much as the College football itself. Firstly ACCEPT THAT.

Nothing has changed for me. Kids needed to have more opportunity years ago. BECAUSE of the MONEY THEY GENERATE. Talk about loyalty??

This culture of leaving for Greener($) pastures started with coaches and their outrageous salaries and leaving with no real regard of the legacy they inherited when they decided to.
They were the spark.

Nothing else you said mattered once you cited being paid for a job as reason to exempt them. Coaching and players don't live in separate vacuums from one another.
They absolutely are the MAIN REASON for the current climate of college sports.

Just because you disagree doesn't invalidate his point. I agree that coaches should be allowed to come and go as they see fit as long as they meet the criteria of their contract. They are adults and it is their job. If you worked somewhere for 5 years then had an opportunity to move on to a better place and make more money would you stay just because you put in 5 years and are 'loyal" to that company? That being said, I also don't have a problem with athletes transferring schools without punishment. Non-athlete students do it all the time. Why should athletes be treated any different?

The game doesn’t feel authentic to me anymore. I am becoming more of an NFL fan because of it.

I used to like college football so much more than I do now. I used to feel the game was more passionate and the players play harder because they are trying to get to the league. I have always loved the pageantry and traditions of each school. It makes it special.

That has changed now with the portal and NIL. There are still student athletes but they share the field with professionals now. Once you get money that is what you are. Not every school has the same access to capital. The haves and have nots are even further solidified. The spectacle that is signing day, the selfish entitled behaviors, no loyalty, skipping bowls, using the portal as leverage to get a payout, it sucks.

I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now.
stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.

To find the type of football you love/loved you must go to the "lower" I mean small program leagues, where there are no or few scholarships and the guys play for the love of the game. For several years my small town hosted a championship for on of these levels (NAIA? can't remember) It was great fun for teams and their fans. Several said our high school complex and field were much better than theirs and most they had played on that year. (I think one year a guy's picture made the cover of Sports Illustrated scoring a TD in really bad muddy conditions)

Reactions: Big Al Orange

This reminds me of nack in the day when they started throwing the damn ball all over the place...that crap has no business in football.

And then they stsrt spoiling these athletes with special work out gyms...and then they started theri own damn food cafeterias and diets. If thatw asnt enough...the personalize the diets to EACH PLAYER. Spoieled brats it tell ya.

Now they have their own tutors and buildings...its a crying shame..

The blue font directions escape me..

Now is not the time to quit on the Vols. We have an opportunity to see tremendous improvement next year. When that happens it will be thrilling again.

It's not like we are quitting on the Vols, many of them are quitting on us. This is the problem. For much of my young life I was a St. Lewis Cardinal fan and the fan of several pro football teams. This was because the players were there year in and year out. They would retire with a team. (if they were traded it usually came as a shock to the fan base) Fans liked the stability of a team and being able to discuss players year in and out over a long haul. This is no longer the case. Unless you are a "real fanatic" it is hard to name many players on the Vols team unless they have been around than a year or two. Being invested in the guys for 3 or more years really helps to stay bonded to a team. It is hard to talk about how good a guy will or will not be and how good he or the team will be "next year" when you don't really know just who will be a VOL.

Going to be interesting when player of sufficient amount gets homesick and starts to second guess their decision and wants to go back home. Like Butch McCrae in Blue Chips…..will my mom lose her house, you need to be at practice tomorrow

Or when a defensive linemen doesn't live up to 5 star billing that he has received playing against offensive line men that are half his size

Reactions: Majors
Or when a defensive linemen doesn't live up to 5 star billing that he has received playing against offensive line men that are half his size
all scenarios are on the table. Or simply recruited over and still having to pay player above plus the new improved model.

To find the type of football you love/loved you must go to the "lower" I mean small program leagues, where there are no or few scholarships and the guys play for the love of the game. For several years my small town hosted a championship for on of these levels (NAIA? can't remember) It was great fun for teams and their fans. Several said our high school complex and field were much better than theirs and most they had played on that year. (I think one year a guy's picture made the cover of Sports Illustrated scoring a TD in really bad muddy conditions)
I loved going to those NAIA championship games in Savannah. Those were some great games. Some excellent coaching was on display also.

Going to be interesting when player of sufficient amount gets homesick and starts to second guess their decision and wants to go back home. Like Butch McCrae in Blue Chips…..will my mom lose her house, you need to be at practice tomorrow
Yeah it will be just like a cousin of mine that got drafted by the Pirates. He was worried about everything but baseball. Take that money....you owe them. Anyways he got sued and lost.

Reactions: D-rock
D Rock... You hit them where it hurts. I gotcha. Its not about watching or supporting. Its simply not the same. Money is the root of all evil. The funny thing is how many posters here have asked who would step up to pay for players to come or stay. Once this happened then college football as we have known it has died. I have been saying this all along and catching the same flack so I am glad that atleast one person see what I am saying. College football now will become the minor leagues. I hear the people saying its not an open portal but its pretty simple. A player can come to a school and play a couple years and then transfer and get paid. I know that not all players will be able and I am sure the player that struggles to get playing time will fall into this category but the biggest schools will bring in money for players and TV time for their exposure. Also, if you are a true five star that will come in and make a difference and are offered a million at Eastern Michigan then you are going to take it. They are looking for the money to help their families primarily. I know not all are but this will play into decisions. I believe that rebuilding programs are going to struggle. I believe if we truly rebuilding then we need to convince players to come and commit for 4 years. I think we will be better next year but what happens after that. We aren't recruiting enough four and five starts to rebuild. I know... One hear or there but that isn't going to rebuild our program. we have to get loyalty... Oh Wait... The transfer portal and NIL killed loyalty. I want to say that the kids are selfish but I will say if someone offered me big bucks to play I would jump ship to take care of myself and my family. This is why college football as a whole is going to lose fans. I am still a fan but if you can't see this happen then you have blinders on....

I actually find myself in the same camp. I love Tennessee, and I watched every game this year. I still follow recruiting, and I still get on VN every day. But 2 years ago, I was far more invested. The world, in general, is much different than it was just a couple years ago. I can’t speak for everyone, but I know that my perspective has changed. In years past, I would have watched a couple dozen bowl games over the course of the postseason. This year, I only watched one bowl game outside the MCB. I also believe a contributing factor to my apathy is knowing that the same 5-6 teams are going to be in the playoff hunt year after year. It’s boring. The lack of parity in today’s game makes it difficult for a non-Bama/Clemson/UGA/OSU fan to show as much interest. This has been my experience, at least.

Aren't precious, triggered by a trigger. And surely you've been told that children really shouldn't play with matches, so hand that matchbook over to an adult..
Seriously, man (or woman) if the current situation of CFB has you so twisted into a knot, just stop watching it. No need to repeat the whines about how it dismays you. Just walk away or Nancy Reagan the sport.
just keep scrolling on troll. Don't feel the need to jump into the conversation if you don't like it. keep it moving.

VN Store

Back