Something has changed…

I have no problems with guys making money of off their name, image and likeness. I’m not one of these fans that takes digs about the athletes having to have a CPA now and all the other ways fans have poked at student athletes getting theirs. They have a value and they deserve to compensated. I do have a problem with it not being held in check or having some sort of rules to govern it. It shouldn’t conitinue this way for the long term well being of the sport. And I’m honestly not a big fan of the portal and I think it has done a lot more harm than good for these kids who are just leaving with no real plan. It’s almost like the trendy thing to do, so that you get re-recruited and you can get someone to make another “Committed” insta or Twitter graphic. For every Joe Burrow there are a 150 guys or more that left and never got picked up. In a weird way we’re setting up ourselves with a cross of Major League Baseball and College basketball. You can have these goliath contracts thrown out there by the Yankees that very few can compete with, while at the same time you‘ll have a revolving door of players coming through each season that the fans never get to know and watch grow. This is not something that has been popular for either sport. The powers that be, whoever that is when it comes to college football need to address these things before the sport completely goes away from what made it what it is.

If anyone is to blame for this situation I would point the finger at the NCAA more than anyone else. They refused to move on from their archaic rules and it bit them in the ass.

Reactions: Devo182
The game doesn’t feel authentic to me anymore. I am becoming more of an NFL fan because of it.

I used to like college football so much more than I do now. I used to feel the game was more passionate and the players play harder because they are trying to get to the league. I have always loved the pageantry and traditions of each school. It makes it special.

That has changed now with the portal and NIL. There are still student athletes but they share the field with professionals now. Once you get money that is what you are. Not every school has the same access to capital. The haves and have nots are even further solidified. The spectacle that is signing day, the selfish entitled behaviors, no loyalty, skipping bowls, using the portal as leverage to get a payout, it sucks.

I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now.
stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.

A couple things.

Players have been getting paid and we have been cheating since before we won a national championship, during, and after.

"They make money so make them pay for it themselves" so should universities make a rule that people on scholarships can't have jobs? Better go tell the local servers at Mellow Mushroom they have to quit their job or pay for school out of pocket. These men are working a full time job that makes the university millions upon millions. They deserve equal compensation.

If the "school having access to capital" was the end all be all why is Jackson State currently pulling better recruits than us? If anything this levels the playing field.

I know you will ignore all these points, but I encourage you to consider them because they are here to stay. If you hate it that much you better give up on college football and go watch our local University of Tennessee Quidditch Club.

Reactions: Devo182
I'll drop down a level and find a team to follow before I support the NFL in any capacity.

Well, I am kinda seeing a trend that the NFL is not as appealing now as it was 10 to 15 years ago. And I can't but believe that the reasons for that is the drop off in quality of college football the OP is complaining about. If I were to head up to Canton and take my camera? I would get a few pictures of busts. And most of my snapshot would be of the busts of guys from the 60s and 70s. Oh I am sure I would get plenty of them for some of the newer inductees, but Doug Atkins, Reggie White and Peyton Manning would be my priority. Then, the great Packers players. And then, my heroes from other teams like Dick Butkus, Roger Staubach, Walter Payton, and I hope John Matuszak is inducted by then.

But in a few years, I am kinda afraid the players who may be inducted latter will not by high on my list due to the fact that my curret fascination with the league pale in comparison to the 60s through the 90s. Which has led to me becoming more of a fan of the NHL and Aussie Rules. The NFL has gotten sillier over the past few years, and your sentiment is completely understandable to me.

It's changed FOR YOU, because you haven't cared about the student-athlete as much as the College football itself. Firstly ACCEPT THAT.

Nothing has changed for me. Kids needed to have more opportunity years ago. BECAUSE of the MONEY THEY GENERATE. Talk about loyalty??

This culture of leaving for Greener($) pastures started with coaches and their outrageous salaries and leaving with no real regard of the legacy they inherited when they decided to.
They were the spark.

Nothing else you said mattered once you cited being paid for a job as reason to exempt them. Coaching and players don't live in separate vacuums from one another.
They absolutely are the MAIN REASON for the current climate of college sports.
Student-athlete is correct. See what comes first? And guess what? Because they are athletes their education is paid for. Almost all
Other students have to pay for their education.

Reactions: onevol74
The game doesn’t feel authentic to me anymore. I am becoming more of an NFL fan because of it.

I used to like college football so much more than I do now. I used to feel the game was more passionate and the players play harder because they are trying to get to the league. I have always loved the pageantry and traditions of each school. It makes it special.

That has changed now with the portal and NIL. There are still student athletes but they share the field with professionals now. Once you get money that is what you are. Not every school has the same access to capital. The haves and have nots are even further solidified. The spectacle that is signing day, the selfish entitled behaviors, no loyalty, skipping bowls, using the portal as leverage to get a payout, it sucks.

I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now.
stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.
Want to feel "authentic" but watch NFL???

Not sure how that works but ok!

I'm always stunned at threads like this. I have no idea how it effects your life that someone gets paid for hard work they are doing. I don't know how it makes people upset that Taylor got paid by a place selling cookies, so much that they want to quit watching. I'm not clear why is makes people mad that players are now on equal footing regarding where they play. Scholarships were one year contracts for the school, who could send you packing with no penalty at the end of any season, but the person who wanted to leave had to pay a penalty.

How would you feel if someone came to your work and said "you make too much money and I don't like it. We need to pass a law where you work for half what you get now. We are also going to pass a law that says you can be fired whenever we want to fire you, for whatever reason we decide but if you want to work somewhere else you have to go a year without getting paid."

Something HAS changed. Not sure what the full impacts will be - good or bad - of things like NIL, the transfer portal, etc. It’s easy to see the possible bad things but the good possibilities are less obvious, at least for the moment.

I know I love Tennessee, though. That much is certain. Hope this all turns out well. Only time will tell . . .

I'm always stunned at threads like this. I have no idea how it effects your life that someone gets paid for hard work they are doing. I don't know how it makes people upset that Taylor got paid by a place selling cookies, so much that they want to quit watching. I'm not clear why is makes people mad that players are now on equal footing regarding where they play. Scholarships were one year contracts for the school, who could send you packing with no penalty at the end of any season, but the person who wanted to leave had to pay a penalty.

How would you feel if someone came to your work and said "you make too much money and I don't like it. We need to pass a law where you work for half what you get now. We are also going to pass a law that says you can be fired whenever we want to fire you, for whatever reason we decide but if you want to work somewhere else you have to go a year without getting paid."
Sadly, this is about control. Fans have really enjoyed the control schools have had over players for decades. It's made some players what we call VFLs but it's obvious by how quickly that is changing that it REALLY WASN'T THE PLAYER'S CHOICE to be a VFL, necessarily, but they had no other choice.

As soon as choices became an option without penalty, MANY players looked into it. Fans are hurt but that doesn't mean Reggie or Witten or even Peyton wouldn't have done what was best for them had the option been there.

Romanticize it all you want but players haven't really changed. Viable, non penalized options for players have changed for choosing their career paths and they're jumping on them.

What makes you think Reggie wouldn't have considered a massive NIL deal with TX or aTm? What makes you think Witten couldn't have been swayed by a big yearly NIL deal?

It's only that those options weren't there. Don't be naive.

I'll drop down a level and find a team to follow before I support the NFL in any capacity.
Yeah, I’m thinking Carson Newman and/or Maryville college will start getting more of my attention.
Too bad Knoxville college is no longer.
GBO!!

No one would try to convince you that your daughter’s wedding is no big deal and to just take it for what it is - a bunch of people dressed up to eat free food. So why judge or lecture another fan for what college football means to used to mean to them?
You’re seriously comparing someone’s wedding to a football game? Guess I know where some people’s priorities are.

The college game itself hasn't lost its appeal or entertainment value, its all the outside noise that exists now. You just have to tune that out.

Reactions: 007Racer
That’s easier said than done because so many people, especially alumni have very strong emotional and life experiences attached to (any) school. Anyone more than 30 years old falls into this category of having such strong ties to schools success.
I believe there will be another huge seismic shift or two in major college sports. 1) NIL impact and USFL or other pro league, and 2) separation of top level programs from everything else, including NCAA. I believe the SEC will maintain/be the de facto premier AAA of football because it already has fanbases, infrastructure, and marketing baked it: no need to create from scratch. I think the schools will figure out a way to totally throw away the old model and make the major sports programs quasi independent organizations, much like what Tennessee already did with its AD at one point before is was nuanced back into the university hierarchy. Basically the schools will finally cède to the duality of “amateurism” and semi pro and go full paid pro athletes with a payroll. Don’t they almost have to get a commissioner, salary cap and financial structure for everything to be sustainable? Which is why the NCAA was originally created but needs to be scrapped as obsolete.
I’ve been saying that the SEC should disband from the NCAA and treat its conference championship as the national championship. SEC doesn’t need the rest of the conferences to survive and they are trying to band together and form alliances to keep the SEC from making decisions anyways. Those conferences better be carful what they wish for.

Reactions: beachvol23
Okay, I am going to try to stay positive.
1. NIL. It is nice that someone other than Georgia or Alabama git the #1 recruiting class. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next 5 years.
2. Transfer portal. It gives players a lot more options to leave. There was a time when coaches use to push players out to open up scholarship slots for someone else. Where was the loyalty to the players then. This is why the 25/85 rule came about. I see the transfer portal like FA in MLB. Most fans are still loyal to the team but their attachment to the players has diminished since the player may have been your rival last year or might be your rival next year.

Overall, NIL and the Transfer Portal is great for the players but has diminished the fans enthusiasm (unless your team is competing for a championship).

D Rock... You hit the nail on the head. I like all the posts about rebuilding. What are we rebuilding for? There will be no loyalty in players as money drives everything. Education isn't as valued anymore and now with the paying of players it even falls more. Schools that are rebuilding will be used as a stepping stones to get to power teams or to teams that are willing to pay a lot of money. I am not saying we can't be a power team but it is what it is. If I was one of these kids and I had to settle for a Tn or a Fl or another school that is rebuilding then I would go there with the idea I would be looking for a money way out. Ga and Al aren't the only programs in the country that can produce cash to pay someone. I think if I were to be offered a cool million at Eastern Michigan I would take it. Just my opinion...

Okay, I am going to try to stay positive.
1. NIL. It is nice that someone other than Georgia or Alabama git the #1 recruiting class. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next 5 years.
2. Transfer portal. It gives players a lot more options to leave. There was a time when coaches use to push players out to open up scholarship slots for someone else. Where was the loyalty to the players then. This is why the 25/85 rule came about. I see the transfer portal like FA in MLB. Most fans are still loyal to the team but their attachment to the players has diminished since the player may have been your rival last year or might be your rival next year.

Overall, NIL and the Transfer Portal is great for the players but has diminished the fans enthusiasm (unless your team is competing for a championship).
If they want more parity in college football then they need to trim those scholarship numbers down to 15/60. The talent pool would be evenly distributed and a lot more fans would be interested.

The student athletes of today are so much better conditioned, better trained than they were 20-30 years ago, so the level of play is far better than it was then. That doesn't mean those games weren't enjoyable to watch, it just means that student athletes have all the major camps and various training programs for every position on the field run by former players, so these kids are so much different than in the past. That's why, in my opinion, there are so many amazing plays made on the field every week. As for NIL, I read where Saban, Smart, and other coaches are saying there needs to be some kind of control over it, or the schools such as 'bama, Georgia, and the upper tier of teams will continue to play for championships while others will flounder. Tehy even feel like it isn't good for college football.

Reactions: D-rock
I know the coaches leave, position for money all the time. It is their profession and they are paid to do it. That’s why it is different in my eyes. I am talking about the players right now. stop giving kids scholarships. They get money, let them pay for it. It isn’t that big of a deal anyway is what they claim.

The obvious solution if the sport is discouraging for you is to cease watching CFB. Go fishing more often. Become a fan of roller derby or bowling. Whatever, just stop the whining. Whether desired or not, reality is what it is. One can either accept it or reject it and turn your attention elsewhere. Or, you can, of course, continue to:1641821174039.png

VN Store

Back