Some thoughts on the season (looking back)

99gator

Congressman
I was thinking about this today and really wonder if something weird is going on.

I wrote following the Missouri game, that I thought it was a sign that Tennessee had turned the corner. There wasn’t much drama and while it wasn’t a masterpiece, for Tennessee to bring what I thought was their “C” game and win by 3 TDs, I thought that was a big deal.

Even the loss to Georgia, I thought was encouraging. They lead at the half. While the second half wasn’t what you would want, I believed Georgia was the best team in the country at the time because I thought while a lot of teams had an offense, they were the only one with a defense. So, this wasn’t a huge red flag to me.

Then, Kentucky. This is where the wheels came off. JG done JG’d. The team quit. And later we learned an assistant coach lost his job during the game. I don’t know what the heck happened, but this to me is clearly the point that everything went to hell.

And since that time (here’s where the greatest indictment of Pruitt and JG is), they have flat out played and coached scared. Handing the ball off on 3rd and 8 against Alabama. Have two weeks to prepare for Arkansas and have an offensive game plan that even Pat Dye would have said lacked imagination. Ditto Auburn.

You have to go out and be the team you were against South Carolina, Missouri and Georgia (and I mean philosophically). If the personnel can’t execute that, then they need to be benched and see if someone else can. While JG catches a lot of hell (and don’t misunderstand, he deserves a lot of it), you stopped believing in him yet you continue to play him. And that’s on the coaches. That’s on Pruitt. And that’s on Chaney. You can’t put a guy in the game, say “yeah, he’s our guy”, and then not allow him to play the game the way it’s supposed to be played. So while, yeah, the boss is the boss, you better believe we’d be having a knock down drag out argument in the coach’s office if I was forced to continue to play a guy who I didn’t believe was the best guy for the job and prevented me from calling plays. We know what fans and the media think, but there has to be members of the staff who are thinking the same damn thing. I don’t believe for a second that they all believe JG gives them the best chance to win and I don’t believe all of the guys who wear the helmets and pads buy that either. Leadership sometimes means looking your boss in the eye and telling him the stuff he doesn’t want to hear.

But, I have serious curiosity regarding the dismissal of Brumbaugh and how much the coaches are really on the same page.

I think you nailed it. This team has no passion and they have flat out quit on this staff. This is the worst I've seen us play in my 40 years of life. Something has to give because we have too much talent to look this pathetic. We really could go 2-8. It's almost unbelievable we look this bad

Last edited:
This is what is going on behind close doors

127678892_193776952273817_7839388581778641784_n.jpg

I think you nailed it. This team has no passion and they have flat out quit on this staff. This is the worst I've seen us play in my 40 years of life. Something has to give because we have too much talent to look this pathetic.we really could go 2-8. It's almost unbelievable we look this bad
I remember watching the Arkansas game and the only player that I saw showing any real emotion was our kicker! No real emotion or excitement. Sunday, the Titans went to Baltimore and stood on THEIR 50 yard line logo and called Baltimore out. We need that at UT!

I remember watching the Arkansas game and the only player that I saw showing any real emotion was our kicker! No real emotion or excitement. Sunday, the Titans went to Baltimore and stood on THEIR 50 yard line logo and called Baltimore out. We need that at UT!
Damn right Hoss. They have an identity and play to win Thank God I got the Titans to fall back on this season lol

I was thinking about this today and really wonder if something weird is going on.

I wrote following the Missouri game, that I thought it was a sign that Tennessee had turned the corner. There wasn’t much drama and while it wasn’t a masterpiece, for Tennessee to bring what I thought was their “C” game and win by 3 TDs, I thought that was a big deal.

Even the loss to Georgia, I thought was encouraging. They lead at the half. While the second half wasn’t what you would want, I believed Georgia was the best team in the country at the time because I thought while a lot of teams had an offense, they were the only one with a defense. So, this wasn’t a huge red flag to me.

Then, Kentucky. This is where the wheels came off. JG done JG’d. The team quit. And later we learned an assistant coach lost his job during the game. I don’t know what the heck happened, but this to me is clearly the point that everything went to hell.

And since that time (here’s where the greatest indictment of Pruitt and JG is), they have flat out played and coached scared. Handing the ball off on 3rd and 8 against Alabama. Have two weeks to prepare for Arkansas and have an offensive game plan that even Pat Dye would have said lacked imagination. Ditto Auburn.

You have to go out and be the team you were against South Carolina, Missouri and Georgia (and I mean philosophically). If the personnel can’t execute that, then they need to be benched and see if someone else can. While JG catches a lot of hell (and don’t misunderstand, he deserves a lot of it), you stopped believing in him yet you continue to play him. And that’s on the coaches. That’s on Pruitt. And that’s on Chaney. You can’t put a guy in the game, say “yeah, he’s our guy”, and then not allow him to play the game the way it’s supposed to be played. So while, yeah, the boss is the boss, you better believe we’d be having a knock down drag out argument in the coach’s office if I was forced to continue to play a guy who I didn’t believe was the best guy for the job and prevented me from calling plays. We know what fans and the media think, but there has to be members of the staff who are thinking the same damn thing. I don’t believe for a second that they all believe JG gives them the best chance to win and I don’t believe all of the guys who wear the helmets and pads buy that either. Leadership sometimes means looking your boss in the eye and telling him the stuff he doesn’t want to hear.

But, I have serious curiosity regarding the dismissal of Brumbaugh and how much the coaches are really on the same page.

I've thought the same thing man, something isn't right. The one thing that makes sense is that w/JG at QB the team has no hope. Then he comes out and plays reasonably well at Auburn (although the Pick 6 was par for the course) for a bit. There I feel, like you do, the game plan was weak sauce. I don't have an explanation for it but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... "Something is rotten in the sate of Denmark."

I think you nailed it. This team has no passion and they have flat out quit on this staff. This is the worst I've seen us play in my 40 years of life. Something has to give because we have too much talent to look this pathetic.we really could go 2-8. It's almost unbelievable we look this bad

I did not see quit in the Auburn game. From halftime Georgia til Auburn game, yes , they quit, but not Auburn.

Last edited:
We had an advantage over the first two teams because we had significantly more HC, coordinator, and QB continuity. Once other teams got their early season adjustments and kinks worked out, you see the absolute pathetic job our coaching staff has done this year in adjusting....

Reactions: PA Vol and UTwild82
I don't even care enough to take another deep dive into it anymore. What I do know is this fan base deserves better.

Don't worry, we got enough Gators on here who like twisting that knife in a little deeper to do the deep dives for us...

I wrote following the Missouri game, that I thought it was a sign that Tennessee had turned the corner. There wasn’t much drama and while it wasn’t a masterpiece, for Tennessee to bring what I thought was their “C” game and win by 3 TDs, I

Kentucky rarely beats us but they have made a segment of the team & staff apathetic. Basically they beat us and continue beating this UT team week in and out. Apathy & quit are not our friends but we are living and dying with them.

It’s pretty simple to me. Throw out the COVID, the all SEC schedule. Against the 8 game SEC core, they’re looking at a very likely 3-5 and possible 2-6. They were 5-3 last year. They’re going backwards.

Reactions: preacherwebb
No offense OP, but there's no point in looking back. We see the same damned movie every...single....year. Nothing ever changes with this program except some different faces as players progress through the system and assistants are sacrificed to buy the head coach more time and buyout money.

Reactions: tnutater

VN Store

Back