Some thoughts on the actual....you know....game

In reality UF isnt even a concern. We shouldnt even give them the satisfaction of being concerned about this game. If those front running pricks had to put up with what we have the last 20 years, theyd be LUCKY to have 40k fans in the stands. Lets move on to Mizzou and just ignore the jort nation. They can "celebrate" another win over a program thats in the shitter. Impressive.

Reactions: griffdog14
I actually think Tennessee has more of a chance than some of you. I don't think Tennessee wins. And I'm not sure I'm going to be biting my nails. But, I don't think it's going to be ugly.
See I am kind of in that Florida leads by like 10 going into 4th and may end up winning by 10-17. Like Vols never make any Gator fan nervous but the over the top fans every fan base has will complain its not a 28+ point shalacking.

So, for those who want to talk about the actual game…..

Here are the things that I believe will be a major factor.

• I believe Milton will start. Why I believe that’s a factor is that I don’t know how much he’s practiced recently and game time has been limited.
  • The game is being played on the road for Tennessee. It’s not “The Swamp” as much as it is being on the road in general. They want to play fast and their style, but it’s different trying to execute on the road and it’s the first road game. And we didn’t have crowds in 2020.
  • Tennessee is last in the SEC in time of possession. Not sure that’s a good idea heading into conference play. While it’s going to be a night game, it will still be hot and humid in Gainesville.
  • Tennessee is also last in the SEC in sacks allowed.
  • While everyone is focused on the deep ball in the passing game, IMO the biggest thing in this game will be the Tennessee WR’s ability to gain yards after catch on the dinks, dunks, and screens. The main thing that changed in the Florida-Alabama game was the Florida defense blitzed a lot early and Alabama had 1-1 situations where their guy made a Florida defender miss a tackle. Florida stopped blitzing, more guys got to the ball, and tackling improved a lot.
  • Make Florida work for it. Don’t allow the big play. If Florida has to run more than 10 plays in a possession, it gives greater opportunity for them to make a mistake which they are capable of. This was actually one of the more shocking things for me from the Florida-Alabama game. Florida always seems to get multiple chunk yardage plays against Tennessee.
  • Tying in to the previous point, make Florida throw the ball inside the red zone. Do whatever you have to in order to make sure they throw the ball in the red zone. Florida’s going to run, florida’s going to make plays, but if Jones has to throw TD passes from inside the 15 yards line…..I don’t trust him.

In the end, while I think a bend but don’t break style might work, I think you’ll see more out of the passing game than you have previously from Florida. I also think “bend, but don’t break” will fail due to a lack of depth, the Florida heat, time of possession, etc.

Tennessee can score because Florida is not the 85 Bears. But, who misses a block and gives up a sack? Who commits a holding penalty? Who drops a pass on 3rd down? How often does Tennessee sabotage itself offensively?
Shut up, Meg.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
It was triple witching hour for the stock market last week, maybe it will be triple witching hour for Florida

Milton hits the deep bomb
No UT turnovers
UT running game explodes for 285 yards.

UT wins 41-38

I actually think Tennessee has more of a chance than some of you. I don't think Tennessee wins. And I'm not sure I'm going to be biting my nails. But, I don't think it's going to be ugly.
It’s not….. it’s most likely going to be fugly

One of the keys will be fake mustaches and tinted facemask visors. Properly applied, Eric Berry can come back and fit into Slaughter's uniform; Dobbs can fit into Hooker's, Barnett can fit into Solomon's. Is Tim McGee still alive? You get the idea.

With these guys, we have a chance.

I tend to agree. I think bama's offense lost so much from last year...I know they reload every year, but you don't just replace guys like Devontae Smith and Jaylen Waddell. And the bama RB (Robinson) while I'm sure is talented, is the worst bama RB I have seen in years, maybe in the entire Saban era. Maybe he will break out soon, but he is IMO a big step down from Najee Harris.

In summary, people may be reading a bit too much into your defense based on the bama game, and IMO Vol offense is also

I also meant to mention to see a lot of heavier formations in the game for florida. Florida will try to make Tennessee have LBs on the field and exploit them with backs and tight ends in the passing game. If Tennessee doesn’t match the heavier personnel, Florida will run, run, run
Not sure we have “heavy” personnel, we barely have personnel.

UF will have to help us alot to win this game. I'm talking like 5 turnovers that results in points. Our offense will not move the ball up and down the field on their defense. Gonna be a long day.

• I believe Milton will start. Why I believe that’s a factor is that I don’t know how much he’s practiced recently and game time has been limited.
  • The game is being played on the road for Tennessee. It’s not “The Swamp” as much as it is being on the road in general. They want to play fast and their style, but it’s different trying to execute on the road and it’s the first road game. And we didn’t have crowds in 2020.
  • Tennessee is last in the SEC in time of possession. Not sure that’s a good idea heading into conference play. While it’s going to be a night game, it will still be hot and humid in Gainesville.
  • While everyone is focused on the deep ball in the passing game, IMO the biggest thing in this game will be the Tennessee WR’s ability to gain yards after catch on the dinks, dunks, and screens. The main thing that changed in the Florida-Alabama game was the Florida defense blitzed a lot early and Alabama had 1-1 situations where their guy made a Florida defender miss a tackle. Florida stopped blitzing, more guys got to the ball, and tackling improved a lot.
  • Make Florida work for it. Don’t allow the big play. If Florida has to run more than 10 plays in a possession, it gives greater opportunity for them to make a mistake which they are capable of. This was actually one of the more shocking things for me from the Florida-Alabama game. Florida always seems to get multiple chunk yardage plays against Tennessee.
  • Tying in to the previous point, make Florida throw the ball inside the red zone. Do whatever you have to in order to make sure they throw the ball in the red zone. Florida’s going to run, florida’s going to make plays, but if Jones has to throw TD passes from inside the 15 yards line…..I don’t trust him.

In the end, while I think a bend but don’t break style might work, I think you’ll see more out of the passing game than you have previously from Florida. I also think “bend, but don’t break” will fail due to a lack of depth, the Florida heat, time of possession, etc.

Tennessee can score because Florida is not the 85 Bears. But, who misses a block and gives up a sack? Who commits a holding penalty? Who drops a pass on 3rd down? How often does Tennessee sabotage itself offensively?
Temp is around low 70s to high 60s predicted Saturday night

That is in no way "hot"
Yes it will be humid but that's a piss poor reason for anything
Besides it's the 4th game
Theyre in shape
The other stuff maybe is correct but the weather excuse is bullcrap

giphy.gif

If UT forces UF to throw, then I would like our chances to be competitive on D if Jones is starting. Trask isn't back there and as of right now Jones leaves a lot to be desired and Richardson doesn't have a lot of game experience to pull from. If UF struggles to run UT should have a chance. If not then UF will win with no real worry about the game.

Last edited:
It won't be close. Florida is simply a much better team. They reminded me of a good LSU team Saturday. Punched Bama in the mouth, but just came up short on the scoreboard.

Line of scrimmage and the running game almost always decides things between these teams.

TN couldn't get much push against TN Tech. I dont see it clicking against a FL team that just stymied Alabamas running game.
If we stay remotely in the game, it'll be due to QB runs and deep balls. Our running game will be terrible. Lot of 3 and outs I'm afraid. Defense will be strong early and then give up big plays late. FL 45 UT 20

No offensive line success = no offensive success of any kind.

I'd feel better if I had been seeing (or hearing from the coaches that) our O-line breakdowns had been in execution or missed assignments. But we haven't been winning the physical matchups until 4th quarter.

If we stay remotely in the game, it'll be due to QB runs and deep balls. Our running game will be terrible. Lot of 3 and outs I'm afraid. Defense will be strong early and then give up big plays late. FL 45 UT 20
My thoughts as well. I think we start slow in first half but keep it close through the third and then just get to worn down in the forth due to lack of depth and they pull away to cover the spread. I just hope to see good effort and no giving up like in the past.

Reactions: b_gann
I think Heupel will do fast paced series situationally. We obviously cannot do that every drive in these SEC games. Maybe after a turnover, or right out of the gate to see if we can catch Florida off guard. If we just go out there and do a hurry up 3 plays in a row and punt repeatedly, the game could get ugly fast.

This is much the same way most teams are playing now. Nothing new or exclusive to coach H here.

We may keep it close into the 4th quarter but our defense will be gassed from the heat and time of possession. Then it may get ugly.

VN Store

Back