Some thoughts on the actual....you know....game

99gator

Congressman
So, for those who want to talk about the actual game…..

Here are the things that I believe will be a major factor.

• I believe Milton will start. Why I believe that’s a factor is that I don’t know how much he’s practiced recently and game time has been limited.
  • The game is being played on the road for Tennessee. It’s not “The Swamp” as much as it is being on the road in general. They want to play fast and their style, but it’s different trying to execute on the road and it’s the first road game. And we didn’t have crowds in 2020.
  • Tennessee is last in the SEC in time of possession. Not sure that’s a good idea heading into conference play. While it’s going to be a night game, it will still be hot and humid in Gainesville.
  • Tennessee is also last in the SEC in sacks allowed.
  • While everyone is focused on the deep ball in the passing game, IMO the biggest thing in this game will be the Tennessee WR’s ability to gain yards after catch on the dinks, dunks, and screens. The main thing that changed in the Florida-Alabama game was the Florida defense blitzed a lot early and Alabama had 1-1 situations where their guy made a Florida defender miss a tackle. Florida stopped blitzing, more guys got to the ball, and tackling improved a lot.
  • Make Florida work for it. Don’t allow the big play. If Florida has to run more than 10 plays in a possession, it gives greater opportunity for them to make a mistake which they are capable of. This was actually one of the more shocking things for me from the Florida-Alabama game. Florida always seems to get multiple chunk yardage plays against Tennessee.
  • Tying in to the previous point, make Florida throw the ball inside the red zone. Do whatever you have to in order to make sure they throw the ball in the red zone. Florida’s going to run, florida’s going to make plays, but if Jones has to throw TD passes from inside the 15 yards line…..I don’t trust him.

In the end, while I think a bend but don’t break style might work, I think you’ll see more out of the passing game than you have previously from Florida. I also think “bend, but don’t break” will fail due to a lack of depth, the Florida heat, time of possession, etc.

Tennessee can score because Florida is not the 85 Bears. But, who misses a block and gives up a sack? Who commits a holding penalty? Who drops a pass on 3rd down? How often does Tennessee sabotage itself offensively?

Last edited:
I think Heupel will do fast paced series situationally. We obviously cannot do that every drive in these SEC games. Maybe after a turnover, or right out of the gate to see if we can catch Florida off guard. If we just go out there and do a hurry up 3 plays in a row and punt repeatedly, the game could get ugly fast.

Line of scrimmage and the running game almost always decides things between these teams.

TN couldn't get much push against TN Tech. I dont see it clicking against a FL team that just stymied Alabamas running game.
If we want to have a decent showing we’re gonna have to hit some deep shots. Otherwise you’re right, no way we can just run on a Florida team who shut down bamas run game.

Are we wearing orange pants?

Is UF wearing those Gator Uniforms from a few years ago?

If Florida comes out focused, angry, and prepared, they will win and cover the spread comfortably.

If they come out flat and a little down from last week, then this game has a chance to be decided in the 4th quarter. Mullen does occasionally have teams that come out flat.

I think the OP is right. Milton will start because he has the quicker release and stronger arm. Heupel will dink and dunk the ball down the field because we cannot run against FL and Milton cannot hit the broad side of a barn past 15 yards. Our best (and maybe only) chance in this game is to posses the ball as much as possible and sustain drives. Our WR have to catch a pass that hits them in the hands, our RB's have to make someone miss in space. We will throw a lot of WR screens and 5 yard outs especially early in the game to get Milton confidence and because he has the arm to get the ball out there before the FL CB's can respond.

I also meant to mention to see a lot of heavier formations in the game for florida. Florida will try to make Tennessee have LBs on the field and exploit them with backs and tight ends in the passing game. If Tennessee doesn’t match the heavier personnel, Florida will run, run, run

Heupel has to coach an excellent game in all 3 phases of the game. We must win the turnover battle and play a clean, relatively mistake free game. Plus, Florida has to have several mistakes.
That happens we could possibly win. If it’s the other way around, the spread gets covered very easily…..

Tennessee has to completely abandon the run game and pass it 65 times

I think we should do the opposite. Bad teams need to run the ball a lot to keep defense off the field. Go to I-Formation. No one does that anymore. It would cause a lot of teams headaches.

I actually think Tennessee has more of a chance than some of you. I don't think Tennessee wins. And I'm not sure I'm going to be biting my nails. But, I don't think it's going to be ugly.

I think we should do the opposite. Bad teams need to run the ball a lot to keep defense off the field. Go to I-Formation. No one does that anymore. It would cause a lot of teams headaches.

Not going to happen because it's not what they do. There are people who are arguing that Michigan being reborn this year is because they are getting back to what Harbaugh knows, and no one runs that stuff anymore.

Does anyone even recruit a fullback anymore?

I actually think Tennessee has more of a chance than some of you. I don't think Tennessee wins. And I'm not sure I'm going to be biting my nails. But, I don't think it's going to be ugly.
I lean towards us staying within the point already but not by much. Something like 38-24.

There is always a possibility. It will take some things happening. Milton connecting, receivers catcing, OL performing etc. It is possible. I hope Heupel has this team focused and pissed off. Play with fire and heart. I really don't give a damn if Banks gets a 15 yard pf penalty to start the game. Set the tone and be physical. Mike Tyson said it best. " Everyone has a plan, Till they get punched in the mouth" well by god lets go be Buster Douglas. It has been done before ladies and gents. Go Vols, screw Florida

I think our best bet is to stack the line and make Jones beat us the air.He'll miss some he should hit.We'll have to make short passes and work the ball down the field.Not sure we can run on you guys

VN Store

Back