Some stuff from CPF and staff on recruits...

I'm not entirely sure what Karl didn't prove this year. He has good size and speed and seems to show up around the ball.

Donald like every other Freshman will need time to adjust to the speed of the game even if he has the physical skills to play right away. LB is a difficult adjustment to make since in HS most of them are as big as any blocker they face and faster.

Karl is heady and very tough, but I dont think he has the natural ability. He got heart and smarts and imo that's enough

I read somewhere that his athleticism wasn't out of line with UT's other LB's. He has good speed, size, and strength.

Maybe he suffers from stereotyping?

He can hit. Does anyone remember the 2005 FLA game when he broke Caldwell's leg on the KO. That hit was so sweet.

Unless we are planning on blitzing Donald every play he is in there, I don't think he will play as much as people think.

When you watch the Florida game remember this. We will blitz lights out every play of the game because Florida does not have a passing QB. Tebow will make stupid throws and force stupid interceptions, and if we can shut down their option game, I predict a strong defenseive outing.

If he isn't the player everyone thinks he is, UT is in serious trouble in the secondary.

Believe me, the last thing anyone needs to worry about with this team is the secondary. Willingham and Mckenzie will play right away and they will be studs. Hopefully Fellows has made improvement and Hefney might be all SEC.

When you watch the Florida game remember this. We will blitz lights out every play of the game because Florida does not have a passing QB. Tebow will make stupid throws and force stupid interceptions, and if we can shut down their option game, I predict a strong defenseive outing.

Tebow broke just about every passing record in Florida high school football. I don't know why everyone assumes he can't pass. Just because he runs well doesn't mean he isn't a passer. Also, if we blitz every play, Meyer will adjust and destroy us. We need to keep him guessing by showing a lot of different looks. We also need to figure out how to stop an option.

Tebow broke just about every passing record in Florida high school football. I don't know why everyone assumes he can't pass. Just because he runs well doesn't mean he isn't a passer. Also, if we blitz every play, Meyer will adjust and destroy us. We need to keep him guessing by showing a lot of different looks. We also need to figure out how to stop an option.

First off, just because you can break highschool passing records does not mean you can pass in the SEC. Period. And the whole blitz every play thing. That's how you disrupt the option. Blitz different areas and the safties every once in a while. Just because you blitz every down doesn't mean you have to do the same blitz and you can't neccessarily determine what the blitz is. Chavis is very creative and I think blitzing a buttload on a quarterback without much experience will only help us. Plus, by blitzing we can force turnovers and that is the only way we're going to score on Florida because their defense has become dominant.

I think it would be cool if we saw Donald in this one. It would be fun to watch his crazy blitzing and murder Tebow and Harvin. Experience is an issue though...

If all he is doing is blitzing, than he has plenty of experience doing that. He would unload on Tebow. Would be similar to the Crompton truck against LSWHO.

First off, just because you can break highschool passing records does not mean you can pass in the SEC. Period. And the whole blitz every play thing. That's how you disrupt the option. Blitz different areas and the safties every once in a while. Just because you blitz every down doesn't mean you have to do the same blitz and you can't neccessarily determine what the blitz is. Chavis is very creative and I think blitzing a buttload on a quarterback without much experience will only help us. Plus, by blitzing we can force turnovers and that is the only way we're going to score on Florida because their defense has become dominant.

What in the world do you plan to use to evaluate rookie QBs other than high school passing? Tebow proved he can run well at this level. As for passing, he outshone a whole bunch of other great college QBs that came threw the Florida high school system. Maybe he can't pass the ball. But to just assume he can't because he's such a good runner is crazy. Also, the fact that he is such a running threat will really help him in the passing game. Safeties are going to feel a lot of pressure when Tebow rolls out. If they start coming up, he can throw the ball over them to one of the speedy Gator WRs. Alex Smith and Josh Harris did it quite often.

I'm not sure how much Chavis will want to blitz, considering we will have so many new guys in the secondary. He may be hesitant to leave those guys out on an island, especially in just the second game of the season. Also, depending on how well Tebow can run the read option, the blitz might really expose us. Hopefully we'll just have enough speed to make it virtually impossible for them to get that going.

What in the world do you plan to use to evaluate rookie QBs other than high school passing? Tebow proved he can run well at this level. As for passing, he outshone a whole bunch of other great college QBs that came threw the Florida high school system. Maybe he can't pass the ball. But to just assume he can't because he's such a good runner is crazy. Also, the fact that he is such a running threat will really help him in the passing game. Safeties are going to feel a lot of pressure when Tebow rolls out. If they start coming up, he can throw the ball over them to one of the speedy Gator WRs. Alex Smith and Josh Harris did it quite often.

The reason you blitz rookie QBs early on is to get them panicing. It reminds me of Nate Longshore the Cal QB who ended up having a pretty good season, but played terrible against us. It will be Tebow's first time starting QB against a good team. If we freak him out early with different packages and blitz schemes, we can force turnovers and turn the game in our favour early. And that's the word.

Sorry to say but if you blitz every play, even if it is from a different area, your defense would get KILLED. The key to a great defense is to disguise a blitz or a non blitz to confuse and disrupt a quarterback, offensive line, or running back.

Chavis runs a lot of zone blitzes with the safeties. Thats why our linebackers get their hands on the ball more often than most college defenses.

Zone is the best against a playaction/option type of attack that Meyer runs because the defense faces the quarterback and will not turn their back to run with a player.

Of course, this has to be mixed up.

Tennessee has always had trouble with the option. I remember when Bama used to just kill us with it.

Tennessee has always had trouble with the option. I remember when Bama used to just kill us with it.

Tru, I mean everyone and their mother knew Air Force was going to run it and all they did was march it right down the field with it whenever they wanted...so sad...

Sorry to say but if you blitz every play, even if it is from a different area, your defense would get KILLED. The key to a great defense is to disguise a blitz or a non blitz to confuse and disrupt a quarterback, offensive line, or running back.

Chavis runs a lot of zone blitzes with the safeties. Thats why our linebackers get their hands on the ball more often than most college defenses.

Zone is the best against a playaction/option type of attack that Meyer runs because the defense faces the quarterback and will not turn their back to run with a player.

Of course, this has to be mixed up.

QFT, excellent analysis

Against the option, defensive linemen have to shuffle horizontally very well, stretching the option out. You have to have linebackers that will play a role of either a lane stuffer or ballhawk. Your corner on the side of the option needs to fight off his block, and the closest safety will need to have A+++++ recognition skills to get to the LOS as early as possible, mostly due to being 1 of 2 main options for busting the play or keeping it to 3 yards.

For the guy who said to blitz to stop the option, I'm not sure you thought that through.

When Urban has all of his players (like Tebow) I think the spread will give us fits, just like the option has in the past. We have tendency to over run plays. UT flys to the ball and that can hurt you at times with reverses and misdirection, which Myer seems to love.

VN Store

Back