Some stuff from CPF and staff on recruits...

I'm not HV, but my picks:

Eric Berry - Great head on his shoulders and amazing, god-given talent.. He will be great in the secondary and will start very earlier.

Ben Martin - A little undersized right now but has great instincts.

Nevin McKenzie - He can really lay the wood and will start early at Safety.

Gerald Jones - With the situation at WR he should make an imediate impact

Brent Vinson - Phenomenal speed and good hands, should start as soon as he learns the routes

Kenny O'Neal - Same as Vinson, also has previous experience at FSU

Chris Donald - He's got a great frame for the position and I look forward to seeing him get consistant PT later in the year

Others on the radar.. Art Evans, Darris Sawtelle, Kevin Cooper, Todd Cambell, Ahmad Paige, Lennon Creer, Langley, Vereen, & Willingham

Chris Donald - He's got a great frame for the position and I look forward to seeing him get consistant PT later in the year

I agree with everyone except Chris Donald. I think he has the ability to contribute, but with all the talent we have at LB, I think he may redshirt. Jerod Mayo, Rico McCoy, Ryan Karl, Ellix Wilson, and Adam Myers-White should all be pushing for starting positions next year. We don't really need Donald to play. So, I guess if he does manage to get PT, that means he is really, really outstanding.

I agree with everyone except Chris Donald. I think he has the ability to contribute, but with all the talent we have at LB, I think he may redshirt. Jerod Mayo, Rico McCoy, Ryan Karl, Ellix Wilson, and Adam Myers-White should all be pushing for starting positions next year. We don't really need Donald to play. So, I guess if he does manage to get PT, that means he is really, really outstanding.

I think Donald may be on a different level than Karl, Ellix Wilsion, and Myers- White, even at this stage. I could be wrong, and those guys are older and more expierenced, but Donald just has so much God-given talent and he has the ability to make plays and force turnovers. When Karl is a senior and Donald is a sophmore, I will take Donald for sure.

One thing in Karl's favor is that he calls the plays which means he is in there for more than just his athletic ability.

Donald won't take Karl's spot if that is what you are hinting at. He had a great year last year and will obviously be better this year with more experience.

I think Donald may be on a different level than Karl, Ellix Wilsion, and Myers- White, even at this stage. I could be wrong, and those guys are older and more expierenced, but Donald just has so much God-given talent and he has the ability to make plays and force turnovers. When Karl is a senior and Donald is a sophmore, I will take Donald for sure.

i agree with you. just because someone started last year doesn't mean they should start next season.

starting position should be open competition to all, and if a senior and freshmen are equal play the freshmen to build on the future. I think Donald may outclass Karl and Wilson. He's one of the highest recruited LB's UT has ever had.

i agree with you. just because someone started last year doesn't mean they should start next season.

starting position should be open competition to all, and if a senior and freshmen are equal play the freshmen to build on the future. I think Donald may outclass Karl and Wilson. He's one of the highest recruited LB's UT has ever had.

I would agree but I don't think we are just talking about the LB position athletically wise. Karl wasn't the best LB last year but it was still him that was calling the plays. Does anybody know who called the plays when Karl wasn't in the game?

Where was Manning? John Henderson? I ask because I do not know, but I remember both being very highly sought after.

Also, Dale Carter was an amazing athlete, Juco or not. I once heard Bill Curry state that Carter was the most gifted football player he had ever seen. In his years at Kentucky, Curry saw many, many players look gifted against him.

manning and henderson and haynesworth were all highly recruited players.

since rivals started doing there top 100 I dont think UT has had a player rated that high. The highest rated player i remember is gerald riggs.

berry is playing a position UT has had trouble recruiting for in the past. UT doesn't recruit the top CB in the nation very often that I remember. Considering UT's lack of depth, he's as close to a can't miss prospect UT has had.

If he isn't the player everyone thinks he is, UT is in serious trouble in the secondary.

I would agree but I don't think we are just talking about the LB position athletically wise. Karl wasn't the best LB last year but it was still him that was calling the plays. Does anybody know who called the plays when Karl wasn't in the game?

i dont think calling the plays is that big of a deal. Hefney could do it. He's got more experience starting at UT then Karl does.

i dont think calling the plays is that big of a deal. Hefney could do it. He's got more experience starting at UT then Karl does.
LBs have always called our plays because Chavis is the LB coach and gets to spend more time with them.

per a poster on Volquest:

1. Is there a former player to compare Berry to, athletically? Answer, Dale Carter, but Berry is a better athlete, broader in the shoulders and faster.
2. Art Evans is the fastest DB we have going through drills right now.
3. Rufus Williams has Dwight Freeney type of pass rushing ability!!? (was surprised at this comment)
4. Paige is smooth and polished as a receiver.
5. The guys like Hawkins, Hall, Rogan love UT and know what it is like to line up against UF and Bama. Creer will know what it is like to line up against UF, because "I'm putting him out there, and you will see why."
6. Chris Donald is "the best blitzing linebacker I've ever seen on hs film, and we will use him that way"
7. Ben Martin will help us immediately with our speed off of the edge.
8. Vereen runs in 4.3 range.
9. Barnes will play lb for us, because he can cover and not come off of the field as SLB in passing downs.
10. Hall is an interior lineman.
11. Melancon has some Billy Ratliffe in him(who chief says had the best ability at dt of anybody he has ever coached).
12. Vinson is good enough to play basketball at UT, but "he needs to work on his academics and get his butt here". When he outruns people it is very easy for him.
13. Slight hint that Maples might be a safety afterall. 14. Nevin will start.
15. O'Neal is expected to dominate from the start.
16. It doesn't matter how hard Butch Davis tries, Austin Johnson is all Vol(per his grandfather!!)

good stuff.

Fulmer doesn't like to play a lot of freshmen early.

He didn't play Coker as a freshmen because of a penchant for fumbling. Foster has fumbled more then he has.

He didnt play Jamaal Lewis much for the Florida game as a freshmen either. He's probably the best back UT has ever had.

So I don't know if Fulmer has changed his ways that much.

Karl will be a SR. in '07, and I don't think he'll get beat out by a true freshman.

First off, Donald has tremendous talent this is not a knock on him. But, I think we are ahead of ourselves if we think he can come in and play as well as some of you are thinking as a true freshman. Very few LB's come in and play right away in the SEC. And, most that do it is because of a lack of depth. We do not have that problem. Donald will not unseat Karl at LB. That does not mean he will not play. He might move up to the #4 or #5 LB and get snaps. And, there are always injuries that occur and could lead to him getting more snaps. But, if healthy, Karl will start at LB next season.

Unless we are planning on blitzing Donald every play he is in there, I don't think he will play as much as people think.

LBs have always called our plays because Chavis is the LB coach and gets to spend more time with them.

The middle linebacker typically calls plays in any defense. It is considered an "intellectual" position; it has a view of the entire field; it (unlike the secondary) is in relatively easy earshot for the rest of the D-line and other LBs for audibles. It just kind of works, so that is the way most teams do it.

Someone somewhere may run a defense from a DB position, but that certainly wouldn't be the norm.

I guess one exception was Westmoreland. Didn't he call plays from the outside spot?

Chavez will let OLBs call plays sometimes. I think Kevin Burnett may have done that. Of course, Ryan Karl did it just last season and he was playing outside. Most coaches just tend to let the MLB do it. If I recall correctly, Johnathon Vilma called the adjustments for the Jets his rookie season.

VN Store

Back