Some positives

Better find a passing game fast or it’s gonna be a long day against Pitt and beyond in conference. Would like to see a lot more short dumps, slants, and sidelines throws like BG did (too) effectively against us. Obvi gotta find a deep ball. Was surprised HB didn’t get some reps he must seriously not be not ready for prime time?

On D, still gotta take away the slant and short sidelines throws.
Overall this is night and day vs Pruitt ball. Still gonna be a LOOONG year but we’re legit rebuilding so it is what it is.

Maybe we were being vanilla in our play calling on both sides of the ball because we knew we were going to win easily and didn’t want to show Pitt everything.

I thought the defensive coaches made some good adjustments at halftime.

I know it's Bowling Green but still......

They didn't score a TD and only made it to the red zone one time.

Out D forced 10 tackles for loss.

We held them to 32 yards rushing (22 came on one of their last plays) on 23 attempts. They averaged 1.4 ypc.

Defense held them to 2-16 on 3rd and 4th downs

We hit a 43 yard fg and went 5/5 on extra points

Paxton Brooks had 3 punts for an average of 49 yards. 2 inside the 20 and a long of 64

Offensive line played well. Opened up running lanes all night and gave Milton all day to throw.

"Milton is going to really kick himself when he watches the film. He definitely had some wide open receivers he just flat out missed. I do think that he has the mobility that we need. He isn't Lamar Jackson, but he was able to see the holes and get some yards when needed. I felt like he was too apt to run though.

Milton is going to have a tough time against SEC defenses though if he doesn't improve his accuracy down the field. However, was glad he didn't throw any INTs. The fumble sucked.

Receivers didn't help either. Plenty of dropped passes, some of which would have been big. Wasn't impressed with them overall. Tillman's 4th quarter TD was awesome though."

Milton has a cannon arm but it's easy to see why he didn't start at Michigan. Apparently he doesn't have anything like a short touch pass. Several if the drips on short passes were due to him throwing rockets. He needs to take something off those to help the recivers catch the ball. A couple of those led to caroms that we were lucky to not have picked off. Hiss downfield accuracy was nonexistent until the 50/50 ball that Tillman caught for that last TD.

I thought Hooker should have been in 2 series earlier to see what he could do since the game was out of reach.

Pitt is going to be a much better opponent. Unless we can get better accuracy on stretch posts, it's going to be tough to beat them.

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
I thought the running backs looked good. The o line play wasn’t horrible. Tackling was way better than I’ve seen in a long time wrapping up and holding on until you take them to the ground. Secondary looks horrible in coverage and we can’t throw a deep ball was the two biggest take always.

Two things really stood out. We ran the rock at will. And there were some things we done wrong on defense and came out made changes and shut them down. Good to see a staff that can make a change to stop what they are doing. We've not had that in the last 3 coaches. Love the fast pace of play.

The O-line, running game, and overall fundamentals were light years ahead of the mess we witnessed last year. Even in the passing game, Milton wasn't trying to singlehandedly "save the day" by forcing horrible throws. The best thing going is the fact that adjustments were made on defense and offense, particularly after the half...that, in and of itself, was refreshing to witness.

It's going to take more than a little luck to make a bowl game this year, but the improvement between last year and this year gives me some hope for continuation of that overall fundamental improvement over the course of the season, even if some of the results against conference opponents are ugly.*

*but not nearly as ugly as when that window-lickingly moronic native of Remulak roamed the sidelines

Honestly, I was pretty happy with everything other than our passing game. The defense overall looked great. Good penetration, good tackling, good coverage. The coaches made great adjustments on defense in the half. It has been awhile since I could see coaches make adjustments. The rushing game was A+ with the o-line making holes and the tailbacks taking advantage of every opportunity. But I agree, our passing game was abysmal. Even when Milton occasionally hit a receiver they would drop the ball. At this point we may need to go to a triple option just to go .500.

My positive takeaways

1) The team played with alot of energy
2) The offensive line looked better than it has in years (I'm reserving judgement bc the opponent, but its a positive sign)-----If you watch closely, Cade Mays played like a 1st round pick and Carvin is cold blooded
3) The team seemed to know what to do
4) The DL looked real good, particularly the interior
5) Jeremy Banks seems to have gotten better
6) The combination of our two RB's will most likely be better than Gray/Chandler

Last edited:
I just wish there was an accurate passer who could read the field, in the QB room. Oh, wait...
I wish we had WR’s that didn’t drop the ball when it hit them in the hand and stomach. Milton is far from perfect and he did miss a couple reads no doubt. But he also scored 3 TD’s in his first fame at UT. My biggest concern for me would be with his size I figured he would run harder. He is a dual threat QB and his best assest are his legs. But to me he seems like he runs soft to be as big as he is.

Reactions: walkenvol
"Milton is going to really kick himself when he watches the film. He definitely had some wide open receivers he just flat out missed. I do think that he has the mobility that we need. He isn't Lamar Jackson, but he was able to see the holes and get some yards when needed. I felt like he was too apt to run though.

Milton is going to have a tough time against SEC defenses though if he doesn't improve his accuracy down the field. However, was glad he didn't throw any INTs. The fumble sucked.

Receivers didn't help either. Plenty of dropped passes, some of which would have been big. Wasn't impressed with them overall. Tillman's 4th quarter TD was awesome though."

Milton has a cannon arm but it's easy to see why he didn't start at Michigan. Apparently he doesn't have anything like a short touch pass. Several if the drips on short passes were due to him throwing rockets. He needs to take something off those to help the recivers catch the ball. A couple of those led to caroms that we were lucky to not have picked off. Hiss downfield accuracy was nonexistent until the 50/50 ball that Tillman caught for that last TD.

I thought Hooker should have been in 2 series earlier to see what he could do since the game was out of reach.

Pitt is going to be a much better opponent. Unless we can get better accuracy on stretch posts, it's going to be tough to beat them.
All this being said, at least Milton had a calm presence about him as opposed to deer in headlights. If he's not going to be the guy, we've got a couple others who have different skill sets...Bailey probably more accurate but less mobile.

I just wish there was an accurate passer who could read the field, in the QB room. Oh, wait...
Why don’t you call em n let em know they playing the wrong QB. Tell em how you know which 1 is the best and how they just couldn’t see it since they’re with em EVERYDAY!!!!!

I'm underwhelmed from last night, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. This was a first game, and it's nearly impossible to know if this was the norm or a bad game on the part of some.

Thought the team played hard, but it's obvious we don't have a lot of SEC talent on the team. Gonna take a few years, unfortunately.

Defense played pretty well outside of the 2nd quarter. The good thing is is it looked like they figured something out then, but we made halftime adjustments. Offensively we’re gonna need a lot of work

Why don’t you call em n let em know they playing the wrong QB. Tell em how you know which 1 is the best and how they just couldn’t see it since they’re with em EVERYDAY!!!!!

Being that I watched the game with intense focus on the radio, I certainly feel qualified to do that, and maybe I will!

VN Store

Back