Some positives

chvy1986

I know it's Bowling Green but still......

They didn't score a TD and only made it to the red zone one time.

Out D forced 10 tackles for loss.

We held them to 32 yards rushing (22 came on one of their last plays) on 23 attempts. They averaged 1.4 ypc.

Defense held them to 2-16 on 3rd and 4th downs

We hit a 43 yard fg and went 5/5 on extra points

Paxton Brooks had 3 punts for an average of 49 yards. 2 inside the 20 and a long of 64

I watched linebackers and DBs make one-on-one fundamentally correct tackles in space tonight. Haven't seen that consistently in quite a while.

That was definitely something I was praying would improve and it seems to have. It was bad enough when we looked lost a lot of times last year , and then seeing them doing the impression of a hawkman chasing people from bad angles just made me wanna smash something. They looked better tonight.

Reactions: Volatility
The biggest positive? We WON! Beldar would have had a good chance of losing that game. I was down on the performance but after thinking about it we did enough, got some experience and finished the deal. I doubt Milton is QB1 at the end of the year but overall, a win is a win baby!

My thoughts:

I think the main objective (aside from don't lose), was to make sure we didn't get hurt, and to just focus on seeing knowledge of the system, and just performing well.

Overall, it looks like everyone stayed healthy. Cooper turned out to be okay, which is a big relief.

Milton is going to really kick himself when he watches the film. He definitely had some wide open receivers he just flat out missed. I do think that he has the mobility that we need. He isn't Lamar Jackson, but he was able to see the holes and get some yards when needed. I felt like he was too apt to run though.

Milton is going to have a tough time against SEC defenses though if he doesn't improve his accuracy down the field. However, was glad he didn't throw any INTs. The fumble sucked.

Receivers didn't help either. Plenty of dropped passes, some of which would have been big. Wasn't impressed with them overall. Tillman's 4th quarter TD was awesome though.

Offensive line, the thing I'm most impressed with, is I don't remember any false start penalties. In a offense that goes that quickly, I would expect to see more dysfunction with timing, and see false starts. They did have some holding penalties, but I was impressed with the overall discipline that I saw from them.

Defensively, I think they didn't try to be super aggressive. The defensive line was very disruptive, and you could tell that BGs gameplan was to get the ball out quick to try to neutralize the DL. They did great at stopping the run. It was a good game plan to try to make the QB (who only threw one TD last year) beat them. And they definitely gave up some plays, but overall, I thought the job they did containing the run was excellent.

We are going to struggle with depth. But these guys did great at staying in it and after it, even though BG definitely had the ball for a long time offensively. They didn't seem to wear down.

Btw, I thought it was really telling.....once we sat down Small and Evans, we played...Marcus Pierce at RB? Where is Whitehead and Beckwith? I have a hard time believing Beckwith doesn't have a place in this offense.

There's gonna be a lot to improve upon, for sure. And we're going to have to do it quickly if we want to beat Pittsburgh. That's going to be a big challenge. Thankfully, playing on Thursday gives us a couple of extra days to look at the film and clean things up.

But, I'm not disappointed. Would have loved to see an absolute blowout, but honestly glad to see most everyone healthy, and to just see a win. Huge blowouts overinflate our confidence and aren't a great indicator of where we are as a team. I think we saw tonight some of our weakness, and some of our potential, for sure. I just hope that we can continue to fine tune and get clicking even better.

I watched linebackers and DBs make one-on-one fundamentally correct tackles in space tonight. Haven't seen that consistently in quite a while.

Spot on. Compared to highlights I have watched from the past two or three years, the team's performance tonight was exceptionally improved as far as basic field discipline goes. Being the guy that expected this team would be worthless as usual, I feel cautiously hopeful. At this moment, I am actually watching this game for the second time. And it is not a waste of my time.

Spot on. Compared to highlights I have watched from the past two or three years, the team's performance tonight was exceptionally improved as far as basic field discipline goes. Being the guy that expected this team would be worthless as usual, I feel cautiously hopeful. At this moment, I am actually watching this game for the second time. And it is not a waste of my time.

Right, I didn't feel like it was a sloppy game by any way. I think a lot of times over the past 3 years, I just thought "this is sloppy. Sloppy tackling, sloppy coverage, sloppy blocking." I felt like, when it came to fundamentals, we did much better tonight than I'm used to seeing. We tackled well. We covered well (as in didn't let much by us). Not many false starts and stupid penalties. I think that there were several drops by receivers that would have changed the narrative on Joe tonight. Joe wasn't horrible. But he wasn't helped by the drops. I know Hyatt had a big drop, and honestly, most all of the receivers did. If those were different, it may be a different story that we're telling. Perhaps we win 50-6, and Milton looks a lot better.

A lot to clean up, but not the normal "Oh, we don't know how to tackle and not move until the ball is snapped."

And my goodness, it was just nice to not see freaking Jarrett Guarantano out there for once.

We had, what, 2x116yard rushers tonight. Pretty impressive.
No offense but I was underwhelmed by both. Tauren Poole level talent from them. Saw nothing special but decent holes for them. They got to be a lot faster to the hole in sec play. Neither are upper tier SEC backs

Right, I didn't feel like it was a sloppy game by any way. I think a lot of times over the past 3 years, I just thought "this is sloppy. Sloppy tackling, sloppy coverage, sloppy blocking." I felt like, when it came to fundamentals, we did much better tonight than I'm used to seeing. We tackled well. We covered well (as in didn't let much by us). Not many false starts and stupid penalties. I think that there were several drops by receivers that would have changed the narrative on Joe tonight. Joe wasn't horrible. But he wasn't helped by the drops. I know Hyatt had a big drop, and honestly, most all of the receivers did. If those were different, it may be a different story that we're telling. Perhaps we win 50-6, and Milton looks a lot better.

A lot to clean up, but not the normal "Oh, we don't know how to tackle and not move until the ball is snapped."

And my goodness, it was just nice to not see freaking Jarrett Guarantano out there for once.

Yeah, I seriously doubt we will be throwing any welcome back parties if he rolls back through town.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
BG had one plan. Run clock even if their behind 3 scores. 326 Yds rushing against any team is pretty good. Believe what you want but the QB was responsible for alot of that. He made some good reads in that department. I'm sure all y'all QB gurus do realize that the WR's have to make reads too.
He had some bad throws then again had some drops. If he hit those two overthrows we wouldn't be having this debate. He has a lot of improvement to do but we're 1 and 0 and I choose to be happy.

No offense but I was underwhelmed by both. Tauren Poole level talent from them. Saw nothing special but decent holes for them. They got to be a lot faster to the hole in sec play. Neither are upper tier SEC backs

Not disagreeing. 2x116 doesn't happen often though. But none ought right took it to the house.

First game for both for this team. Who were you expecting them to be, Derrick Henry or Jamal Lewis clones? Or perhaps Darren Sproles or Alvin Kamara? News flash, Mose. Not everyone has a first game like Hershel Walker. Especially when it is also the coaching staff's first one. Swear to God, my Mama raised cats more patient than some of you when the electric can opener made a noise.

The biggest positive? We WON! Beldar would have had a good chance of losing that game. I was down on the performance but after thinking about it we did enough, got some experience and finished the deal. I doubt Milton is QB1 at the end of the year but overall, a win is a win baby!
This all day. If Pruitt was coach UT wouldn't have scored any more points after the 1st quarter. Hell, they probably wouldnt have scored any points in the first quarter. BG made an adjustment and it would have been lights out for the old coaching staff.

Vols were definitely improved, both offense & defense. Yes, there were errors, but the excitement in the Neyland Stadium crowd was real, the P.O.T.S. Band sounded great, Smoky was howling, & it looked & sounded wonderful on television. I even enjoyed the announcing team. That effort won't win many SEC games, but it's the first game with new "everything". I'm optimistic. GO BIG ORANGE!:cool:

Attachments

• UT Positive.jpg
    UT Positive.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
Better find a passing game fast or it’s gonna be a long day against Pitt and beyond in conference. Would like to see a lot more short dumps, slants, and sidelines throws like BG did (too) effectively against us. Obvi gotta find a deep ball. Was surprised HB didn’t get some reps he must seriously not be not ready for prime time?

On D, still gotta take away the slant and short sidelines throws.
Overall this is night and day vs Pruitt ball. Still gonna be a LOOONG year but we’re legit rebuilding so it is what it is.

My thoughts:

I think the main objective (aside from don't lose), was to make sure we didn't get hurt, and to just focus on seeing knowledge of the system, and just performing well.

Overall, it looks like everyone stayed healthy. Cooper turned out to be okay, which is a big relief.

Milton is going to really kick himself when he watches the film. He definitely had some wide open receivers he just flat out missed. I do think that he has the mobility that we need. He isn't Lamar Jackson, but he was able to see the holes and get some yards when needed. I felt like he was too apt to run though.

Milton is going to have a tough time against SEC defenses though if he doesn't improve his accuracy down the field. However, was glad he didn't throw any INTs. The fumble sucked.

Receivers didn't help either. Plenty of dropped passes, some of which would have been big. Wasn't impressed with them overall. Tillman's 4th quarter TD was awesome though.

Offensive line, the thing I'm most impressed with, is I don't remember any false start penalties. In a offense that goes that quickly, I would expect to see more dysfunction with timing, and see false starts. They did have some holding penalties, but I was impressed with the overall discipline that I saw from them.

Defensively, I think they didn't try to be super aggressive. The defensive line was very disruptive, and you could tell that BGs gameplan was to get the ball out quick to try to neutralize the DL. They did great at stopping the run. It was a good game plan to try to make the QB (who only threw one TD last year) beat them. And they definitely gave up some plays, but overall, I thought the job they did containing the run was excellent.

We are going to struggle with depth. But these guys did great at staying in it and after it, even though BG definitely had the ball for a long time offensively. They didn't seem to wear down.

Btw, I thought it was really telling.....once we sat down Small and Evans, we played...Marcus Pierce at RB? Where is Whitehead and Beckwith? I have a hard time believing Beckwith doesn't have a place in this offense.

There's gonna be a lot to improve upon, for sure. And we're going to have to do it quickly if we want to beat Pittsburgh. That's going to be a big challenge. Thankfully, playing on Thursday gives us a couple of extra days to look at the film and clean things up.

But, I'm not disappointed. Would have loved to see an absolute blowout, but honestly glad to see most everyone healthy, and to just see a win. Huge blowouts overinflate our confidence and aren't a great indicator of where we are as a team. I think we saw tonight some of our weakness, and some of our potential, for sure. I just hope that we can continue to fine tune and get clicking even better.
Agree with what you posted. Adding one thing.
I wish Heupel played Hooker the whole 4th
Quarter. Milton showed signs of JG.

Reactions: HalfullVol

VN Store

Back