Softball Week 3 - USF Tournament

Wow, it was a no good rotten weekend of softball But it is early with a lot of softball to play. We have already hit def con 10 on the coaches (whose decisions I often question). We usually don't get here til at least Mid April. Lets let is play out for awhile at least. Who knows who will get hot, or the lights come on with multiple freshman or even some of the older ones. I plan on being disappointed when we lose, gripe about some coaching, but enjoying one of the sports I love.
Ralph getting so old you sometimes wonder if he even sees the ball game anymore. I'm not giving up on them I am sure it is obvious to them that they did not hit a lick. Your not beating much of anybody scoring a run or two. Thinks we better get with the offense or we'll lose to some teams a lot worse than the ones we played this weekend.

Wow, it was a no good rotten weekend of softball But it is early with a lot of softball to play. We have already hit def con 10 on the coaches (whose decisions I often question). We usually don't get here til at least Mid April. Lets let is play out for awhile at least. Who knows who will get hot, or the lights come on with multiple freshman or even some of the older ones. I plan on being disappointed when we lose, gripe about some coaching, but enjoying one of the sports I love.
The girls need our support. Hopefully, coaching will get better and they take some pressure of the girls by taking responsibility for the losses. Go lady VOLS.

Not going to get in a pissing contest with you but Brooke Vines left on her own free will. She has not called me in a while but when she does I will ask. By the way when did you speak to her and give me your name and I will say hello to her for you.

Vines' situation is very well-known, even to people in the softball world outside of UT. IDK why you want to argue on this one. The question was about her injury, not her leaving the team.

Raven Chavanne played with a torn labrum her entire junior year, BTW. Not many fans know that. Other programs would've insisted she have surgery and redshirt, as she was in pain and couldn't swing away all season (and could virtually only bunt by the end of the season), especially a player of her caliber. As it stood, arguably the best leadoff hitter in SEC history had her junior year basically wasted. I was never told the coaches pressured her, but it would've been in her best interest to redshirt. And it is indeed true that Ralph and Karen don't like redshirts. It messes with scholarship count and we always over-recruit which leaves little money to go around. And I believe Raven was on a full ride here, or if not, it was very close. I doubt they had money for a 5th year, which I'm sure factored into that.

Last edited:
Which coach is in charge of defense? I know Marty is in charge of pitching because he was out at the mound a few times. So whio is responsible for the defensive development?

I think Ralph and Karen both coach defense. Ralph used to coach the hitters with Karen coaching the slappers. No idea if that's still the case.

Reactions: lvfan
Vines' situation is very well-known, even to people in the softball world outside of UT. IDK why you want to argue on this one. The question was about her injury, not her leaving the team.

Raven Chavanne played with a torn labrum her entire junior year, BTW. Not many fans know that. Other programs would've insisted she have surgery and redshirt, as she was in pain and couldn't swing away all season (and could virtually only bunt by the end of the season), especially a player of her caliber. As it stood, arguably the best leadoff hitter in SEC history had her junior year basically wasted.
Yes, I was aware of her injury too. Moss played most of her UT career with a back injury and Aldrete was pushed to come back early after knee surgery. I hope someone puts these young athletes’ health and well being as priority. They have a long life after softball.
let’s support these athletes any way we can as fans! Cheer for them to win and be happy and healthy. They deserve it.

Yes, I was aware of her injury too. Moss played most of her UT career with a back injury and Aldrete was pushed to come back early after knee surgery. I hope someone puts these young athletes’ health and well being as priority. They have a long life after softball.
let’s support these athletes any way we can as fans! Cheer for them to win and be happy and healthy. They deserve it.
OK FOLKS! YALL KNOW RALPH AND KAREN ARE THE WORSE COACHES TO EVER STRATTLE A PAIR OF TENNIS SHOES. THEY RIDE THEIR HORSES UNTIL THEY QUIT OR TRANSFER!! WHO IN THE HELL WOULD WANT TO COMMIT TO THEM EVEN AS EARLY AS 13 YEARS OLD!

Last edited:
Well one thing is certain, LV fans hate losing and when we do we look for answers. I’ve heard a lot of things being said on here before, but have no clue if they’re true. However, the UTAD has a history of hanging on to staffs because of past success and I don’t see that trend changing (mostly because the current AD was canned). Imo, theres a tad too much nepotism in the program. Who on this staff do the ladies run through a wall for? I see bad softball, I’ve seen it for awhile.. we, historically out talent teams but all things equal or close to equal we tend to lose.

Pitching wins games, but like someone else has pointed out, you HAVE to score to help your pitching.

OK FOLKS! YALL KNOW RALPH AND KAREN ARE THE WORSE COACHES TO EVER STRATTLE A PAIR OF TENNIS SHOES. THEY RIDE THEIR HORSES UNTIL THEY QUIT OR TRANSFER!! WHO IN THE HELL WOULD WANT TO COMMIT TO THEM EVEN AS EARLY AS 13 YEARS OLD!
How on earth did you get a bold font? My eyesight sucks and I’ve been looking for that forever 🤣

I’ll be honest, I don’t follow any UT sport other than softball. I might have my head on a stick for even asking this, but I’m going to ask anyway. If not the Weeklys to lead the program, who? Genuinely curious. Not saying I want them to stay or go. Just wondering who you guys would rather have namely or even figuratively. It seems like it took a while for UT to get rid of the women’s basketball coach; I figure we’re keeping the Weeklys for a while. For what it’s worth, I’m not giving up on this team or the program, but I AM a little disheartened. It seems like every year since Chavanne/Gibson graduated, we’ve gone downhill as a whole. Still can’t believe we didn’t get a national title with Abbott!

I’ll be honest, I don’t follow any UT sport other than softball. I might have my head on a stick for even asking this, but I’m going to ask anyway. If not the Weeklys to lead the program, who? Genuinely curious. Not saying I want them to stay or go. Just wondering who you guys would rather have namely or even figuratively. It seems like it took a while for UT to get rid of the women’s basketball coach; I figure we’re keeping the Weeklys for a while. For what it’s worth, I’m not giving up on this team or the program, but I AM a little disheartened. It seems like every year since Chavanne/Gibson graduated, we’ve gone downhill as a whole. Still can’t believe we didn’t get a national title with Abbott!
One of the greatest tragedies of sport on the field is Monica not winning a national championship. There we were bases loaded no outs 1 run and we win it all. Ralph at third with his eyes closed. It is seared into my sports brain. Here she is today and there is no question she is still the best pitcher in the world. If you have been watching any of the Stand by Her tour it is something to marvel at. Arizona's very good homer run hitter who will be their all time leader and is chasing the Ncaa record had blasted one to left off Cat Osterman and then it hit one out to right for good measure. They brought Monica in in the 7th and she blew her away in three pitches.

One of the greatest tragedies of sport on the field is Monica not winning a national championship. There we were bases loaded no outs 1 run and we win it all. Ralph at third with his eyes closed. It is seared into my sports brain. Here she is today and there is no question she is still the best pitcher in the world. If you have been watching any of the Stand by Her tour it is something to marvel at. Arizona's very good homer run hitter who will be their all time leader and is chasing the Ncaa record had blasted one to left off Cat Osterman and then it hit one out to right for good measure. They brought Monica in in the 7th and she blew her away in three pitches.
I’ve been following the tour and caught some of the AZ game, but did not see Jess vs. Monica. Monica is why I became a pitcher and a Lady Vols fan. I remember sitting starry-eyed, cross-legged on the floor watching her. I was too young then, maybe 10?, to really understand the game, much less the gravity of how good she was and how much of a travesty it was that we didn’t win with her. So frustrating now!

I think a lot of us feel like this. Fwiw, I think you’re right, the Weeklys will be at the helm until they want to leave.
But if we’re dreaming here I’d go wide open for UCLA’s Perez or her assistant Fernandez. Both Ucla alums but the Pac notoriously under pays coaches.

Elite pitchers are never coming here. The results are too consistently meh over the years and just look at what’s out there for recruits to choose from. If you are an elite pitcher you can go work with Rocha/Gasso (OU), Perez/Fernandez (UCLA), Mowatt/Candrea (AZ), Lombardi (Oregon), Tarr (UW), Van Brakle/Murphy (Bama), Torina (LSU)—all either former college pitcher/catchers who know the deal. If I had an elite pitching daughter and the choice was any of those or McDaniel/Karen it wouldn’t even be a close decision.

I caught a little of the Weber State Texas game yesterday. Weber was not intimidated by the Longhorns. Every batter was up there hacking and I am sure there were some freshmen in the lineup for Weber.
My point of view is that freshmen will strike out. It is during the process that it happens acclimating to the collegiate level. But they better be up there with the idea of hitting the ball hard and putting it in play somewhere. To do this you need to be swinging the bat.
In the batters box, you need to be aggressive. Sometimes when I watch TN, I don't always see that aggression.

I think Ralph and Karen both coach defense. Ralph used to coach the hitters with Karen coaching the slappers. No idea if that's still the case.
Marc has taken on the hitting duties. I really think he will sort this out with time. These games coming up should be much better since these are weak teams. I expect pitching will be as well. The defense of Phillips , Willingham, Seggren and Morgan was pretty good and will end up pretty good given the chance to work together. I think we had more (3) double plays in a game than we have had total for the year. I might add that our best outfield is Holcomb, Right. Milloy Center and Ayala in left!! JMHO as always! SS

Last edited:
Reactions: j&lvol
Why look far... Madison Shipman would be my pick for the next head coach. Great hitter/instructor and fielding guru. Have a Renfro sister as pitching coach. What a dream team it would be.
Recruits would come just to play for them. They are well respected by coaches throughout the country and idolized by players.

Why look far... Madison Shipman would be my pick for the next head coach. Great hitter/instructor and fielding guru. Have a Renfro sister as pitching coach. What a dream team it would be.
Recruits would come just to play for them. They are well respected by coaches throughout the country and idolized by players.
Didn’t she leave us, though? Would she come back? You’re right. Talk about a dream team, and they’d have some investment of their own in the program’s success.

Marc has taken on the hitting duties. I really think he will sort this out with time. These games coming up should be much better since these are weak teams. I expect pitching will be as well. The defense of Phillips , Willingham, Seggren and Morgan was pretty good and will end up pretty good given the chance to work together. I think we had more (3) double plays in a game than we have had total for the year. I might add that our best outfield is Holcomb, Right. Milloy Center and Ayala in left!! JMHO as always! SS
Yes the infield D definitely got better when Willingham went to short. Seggern still made two to three boots but she was at second for the first time. We win if we hit a lick the last two games. I think you may have your corner outfielders flipped though because Holcomb should always be in left. ;)

Reactions: Nickid1975
Didn’t she leave us, though? Would she come back? You’re right. Talk about a dream team, and they’d have some investment of their own in the program’s success.
She was a graduate asst. which is a two year position only unless something has changed. She was credited with getting some our hitters going while here doing those years. Would love to have her on staff.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Yes the infield D definitely got better when Willingham went to short. Seggern still made two to three boots but she was at second for the first time. We win if we hit a lick the last two games. I think you may have your corner outfielders flipped though because Holcomb should always be in left. ;)
Yep and I know that !!LOL

She was a graduate asst. which is a two year position only unless something has changed. She was credited with getting some our hitters going while here doing those years. Would love to have her on staff.
She was hired by ESPN/SEC network. Now she has moved up the ladder and would be hardpressed to change I would think, however that new baby boy may help her decide. She was the hitting coach as well. Would do well I think but maybe not enough HC experience. Just calling names but Gipson is a ast coach at Bethune-Cookman now. Raven is a fan favorite but I think she has some kind of softball related business. The great one with the million dollar contract would be nice as well! Monica Abbott! I remember when she committed in California she was going to put Lady Vol softball on the map!

She was hired by ESPN/SEC network. Now she has moved up the ladder and would be hardpressed to change I would think, however that new baby boy may help her decide. She was the hitting coach as well. Would do well I think but maybe not enough HC experience. Just calling names but Gipson is a ast coach at Bethune-Cookman now. Raven is a fan favorite but I think she has some kind of softball related business. The great one with the million dollar contract would be nice as well! Monica Abbott! I remember when she committed in California she was going to put Lady Vol softball on the map!

Gibson hasn't coached there for a while. she is back in Maryland and engaged. Raven is engaged to a professional baseball player and teaching.

VN Store

Back