Softball Week 3 - USF Tournament

Is our highly rated freshman class just over-hyped or is coaching staff just mismanaging. Maybe there is not enough veterans this year to mix with the freshman. I'm just at a loss on why this team has tanked already. Can't field, can't hit. That should not be a freshman problem but I'm no coach.
it’s will take freshman hitters time to get used to collegiate pitching. Not many freshman make the errors in the field, it’s mostly the older players.

I agree. Coaching staff needs to take responsibility for the short comings. They are in charge of developing the players.
i do not agree with the mentally abusing part or that ashley won’t come back. Ashely will come when the coaches feel like she’s at her full potential.

Some perspective. Ayala is our most consistent and clutch hitter at the moment. Seggern and others have had their moments for sure. Ayala the first half of her freshman year maybe was the most timid collegiate hitter I had ever seen.

Reactions: skclark
Is our highly rated freshman class just over-hyped or is coaching staff just mismanaging. Maybe there is not enough veterans this year to mix with the freshman. I'm just at a loss on why this team has tanked already. Can't field, can't hit. That should not be a freshman problem but I'm no coach.

I mean, freshmen will be freshmen, especially pitchers. I don't think Turner has been all that bad considering. I think she's the real deal but honestly we've squandered so much talent over the years when it comes to pitchers, so idk.

The only other impact freshman is Milloy. She strikes out a TON at this point, but that's not all that uncommon for freshman hitters. There's not really another impact freshman out of the class. Some of them will undoubtedly transfer like always. McCrary has the potential to be very good.

Ashley will be back even if she is not 100% I’m afraid, they will rush her back because they need to justify they’re big fat bloated salaries.
i don't think they will. she won’t be back till sec play. many people make ralph and karen seem like bad people but they aren’t. they will not force rogers to come back until rogers wants. watch and see.

I will say that I don't know that we'll ever get back to the WCWS with Ralph and Karen as coaches. After several years of not losing in the Super Regionals, we've lost the last three years after losing for the first time in 2014 - and that year's team started off very well and tanked at the end. Of course, if we could actually get a non-SEC team in the SRs that would probably help. But we haven't been to the WCWS since 2015, and we went 0-2 in OKC that season. I don't see us getting close to the WCWS anytime soon.

The talent vs. results the last few years hasn't been good, and even with that, the recruiting of late hasn't really been setting the world on fire. We had a few players decommit from next year's incoming class. Things are happening the last few seasons that were almost unheard of in the past, including getting run-ruled and having teams that are subpar in fielding. This year's team is really, really bad on defense, but the past few years we've seen some poor fielding teams by UT standards. In particular the team we had two years ago wasn't a good fielding team -- and it also had few bad run-rule losses that year, too.

Reactions: lvfan
Freshman class definitely overrated!!! Roger's not coming back and that coaching staff is a joke, they have been mentally abusing those kids for yrs.

I don't know that I'd say mental abuse, but we've certainly had our fair share of players leave because of how they were treated by the coaches. Karen in particular is known as a total hard ass. Some players respond to that, and some players don't. As with all coaches in every sport, if you've been a coach for a long time, you have to change with the times, and I think it's clear the Weeklys haven't. It's similar to a job. If an employee feels like they're undervalued and/or they don't like how they are treated, they will leave a find a place where it's different. Maybe I'm just making that comparison because Karen reminds me so much of a boss I used to have that treated her employees like crap and then couldn't understand why people left. She even looks a lot like her.

Of course, there are two sides to every story. I've been told stuff over the years of parents of players and people who have known players who have played here and players who have been recruited. Parents always come at stuff with a biased viewpoint and some feel like regular coaching is abuse. Melissa Davin's dad literally once told me playing for Ralph was like being in an abusive marriage, which was funny because every other parent I've ever talked to says Ralph is so laid back while Karen is the drill sergeant.

Reactions: WizardofOz
I don't know that I'd say mental abuse, but we've certainly had our fair share of players leave because of how they were treated by the coaches. Karen in particular is known as a total hard ass. Some players respond to that, and some players don't. As with all coaches in every sport, if you've been a coach for a long time, you have to change with the times, and I think it's clear the Weeklys haven't. It's similar to a job. If an employee feels like they're undervalued and/or they don't like how they are treated, they will leave a find a place where it's different. Maybe I'm just making that comparison because Karen reminds me so much of a boss I used to have that treated her employees like crap and then couldn't understand why people left. She even looks a lot like her.

Of course, there are two sides to every story. I've been told stuff over the years of parents of players and people who have known players who have played here and players who have been recruited. Parents always come at stuff with a biased viewpoint and some feel like regular coaching is abuse. Melissa Davin's dad literally once told me playing for Ralph was like being in an abusive marriage, which was funny because every other parent I've ever talked to says Ralph is so laid back while Karen is the drill sergeant.
some players don’t react well to hard coaches which is what ralph and karen are. i dont think i would call it anything other than some players like a soft coach is very positive and some don’t.

i honestly didn’t expect an amazing year this year after we lost leach and haley for our offense and moss, arnold, and rogers (so far) for defense. i feel like we will get better as the year goes and we will be in a good place at the end of sec play. go vols.

i don't think they will. she won’t be back till sec play. many people make ralph and karen seem like bad people but they aren’t. they will not force rogers to come back until rogers wants. watch and see.

Ralph and Karen should not be involved in medical decisions. But It is my understanding that they do involve themselves. And they do not like student athletes to red shirt. I know it’s a business but these young lady’s health and well being should be priority. Let Rogers heal and get to 100%.

Bad people? Not sure but I do know that they have a horrible reputation at a recruiting level. Many recruits decommit or transfer because of the lack of coaching and development of players. That’s an issue.

I will say that I don't know that we'll ever get back to the WCWS with Ralph and Karen as coaches. After several years of not losing in the Super Regionals, we've lost the last three years after losing for the first time in 2014 - and that year's team started off very well and tanked at the end. Of course, if we could actually get a non-SEC team in the SRs that would probably help. But we haven't been to the WCWS since 2015, and we went 0-2 in OKC that season. I don't see us getting close to the WCWS anytime soon.

The talent vs. results the last few years hasn't been good, and even with that, the recruiting of late hasn't really been setting the world on fire. We had a few players decommit from next year's incoming class. Things are happening the last few seasons that were almost unheard of in the past, including getting run-ruled and having teams that are subpar in fielding. This year's team is really, really bad on defense, but the past few years we've seen some poor fielding teams by UT standards. In particular the team we had two years ago wasn't a good fielding team -- and it also had few bad run-rule losses that year, too.
Which coach is in charge of defense? I know Marty is in charge of pitching because he was out at the mound a few times. So whio is responsible for the defensive development?

Not on the coaches to make that call. Medical staff and AR family will determine when she get back!

Oh right because they have never rushed players back! Read the outside the lines report on ESPN on coaches influencing medical staff! Tennessee is on it!

Not going to get in a pissing contest with you but Brooke Vines left on her own free will. She has not called me in a while but when she does I will ask. By the way when did you speak to her and give me your name and I will say hello to her for you.
why are you so upset. I know the Vines too- for many years. And it us true they rushed her. She had 2 surgeries. So stop with your name dropping.

Not going to get in a pissing contest with you but Brooke Vines left on her own free will. She has not called me in a while but when she does I will ask. By the way when did you speak to her and give me your name and I will say hello to her for you.
just text her parents. You are very mistaken

Wow, it was a no good rotten weekend of softball But it is early with a lot of softball to play. We have already hit def con 10 on the coaches (whose decisions I often question). We usually don't get here til at least Mid April. Lets let is play out for awhile at least. Who knows who will get hot, or the lights come on with multiple freshman or even some of the older ones. I plan on being disappointed when we lose, gripe about some coaching, but enjoying one of the sports I love.

VN Store

Back