Softball looking forward

I forsee it this way but crystal ball is very cloudy!
1b morgan
2b Seggren
ss Willingham or freshman
3b phillips
lf Holcomb/hannon
cf milloy/hannon
rf ayala
dh weber/west/and a host of others
catcher shipman/phillips/willingham
It's going to be interesting but McCrary til hit by pitch was coming on strong and was one of our best hitters. I won't name names but some on the team have a track record of starting strong and falling off. McCrary and Webber were getting stronger at the bat as the season went on. Ally was a wrecking crew herself at the end. Pacini sure would have been nice off the bench too last year. The coaches seem to be more willing to go with who was hot if they could this year which was nice to see. We did see the throw away midweek lineups too much and it bit us against North Carolina.

I think the lineup is going to depend upon Phillips. She is an exceptional hitter, WHEN SHE MAKES CONTACT! She has to cut down on striking out so much. A lot of unproductive at bats from her. That needs to be her focus in getting ready for next year. If she does that, then 3rd base is hers, Seggern goes to 2nd and the battle is at SS. If not, then it's Seggern back to 3rd and it becomes a battle royale at 2nd and SS.

I think the lineup is going to depend upon Phillips. She is an exceptional hitter, WHEN SHE MAKES CONTACT! She has to cut down on striking out so much. A lot of unproductive at bats from her. That needs to be her focus in getting ready for next year. If she does that, then 3rd base is hers, Seggern goes to 2nd and the battle is at SS. If not, then it's Seggern back to 3rd and it becomes a battle royale at 2nd and SS.
Phillips has got to hit and good things will happen for us. Last years freshmen were very talented from top to bottom and will be much better this year. Its hard to let a player on this team hit their way out of a slump because of the delpt of the roster with the 3 new freshmen coming in. If our 3 producing senior come back we will be in very good shape which I think they will. Pitching has got to be better and workhorse Callie slow down and pitch to the catcher, however I have noticed for years our catchers never give any type of target.

I am pretty sure that all pitchers are looking to get the first pitch strike, unless the situation demands otherwise. That is the pitch the hitters should be swinging at. Up and down the lineup the hitters should be hacking and not slapping. However, if the coach is trying to extend the pitch count on the opposing pitcher, I can understand the "take" sign. Nothing cranks up a team with a hit right after the previous hitter's base hit. Swinging away is an attitude. Even if you are late on the pitch, a base hit to right by a righty is still a base hit. Can't wait for the resume of play. Stay safe...

Reactions: kregman
Right now I have not been impressed enough with Phillips ability to hit for average. In one and a half seasons she is around .240 hitter which is not enough to be the starting third baseman. I know she has a lot of power but she needs to be a lot more consistent to be a starter. I really like McCrary think she will be a very productive hitter expect a big season out of her next year. Milloy has been a lot like Phillips powerful when she makes contact but not enough consistency or high enough average to be a starter. Hopefully she gets her game together was a very highly rated player. I really like Parsons if she could learn to play the field had a lot of problems this past shortened season after playing very well defensively as a freshman. Overall the hitting wasn't what I expected, but the team was very young hopefully they are all working Tennessee has the ultimate in facilities for hitters to get better.

The pitching could be outstanding Callie held up well in a difficult situation and should be awesome as a number two if the injury to Rogers is no longer a problem. A year more of development and maturity should help a lot of players on this team and that means we could be a top ten team in the country if everybody is working to get better.

So my way to early lineup would look something like this:

Parsons
Ayala
Seggern
Shipman
McCrary
Webber
Hannon
Morgan
Willingham
Of course Hannon and Seggern may not come back and then there is Holcomb who is the best outfielder defensively has a good bat if she could adjust to rule of staying in the box. Also Phillips deserves a chance to keep a starting job she has to hit a lot more than she has done to this point. Milloy same deal.

Holcolmb is in the transfer portal.

Not surprised she will make someone a good pickup. Hate to lose the D hopefully someone will fill her position that can hit a gap at least. She was a solid player and teammate it would seem, just could not overcome the new in the box rule at least with us. Wish her nothing but good things.

Agree, Krugman. Good player during her time here and I wish her nothing but the best. Question for the insiders. Since she has completed her 4 years here, is this a matter of Jenna being ready to go back home to the west coast? Did Ralph and Karen encourage her to do this? Are they possibly ready to move on to some of the younger players? Just wondering if anybody has any info.

Not surprised she will make someone a good pickup. Hate to lose the D hopefully someone will fill her position that can hit a gap at least. She was a solid player and teammate it would seem, just could not overcome the new in the box rule at least with us. Wish her nothing but good things.
Her staying was a toss up and one we could accept either way. Chelsea and Hannon will be back I hope. Well stated Kreg!

Reactions: kregman
Just read on another site that Phillips is in the transfer portal!

Outside of a two-week stretch her freshman year at the Judy Garman Classic and at Florida, Phillips is a below .200 hitter for her career. Positive was a third of her hits were home runs. Negative was the strikeout total. Looked lost against SEC pitching as a freshman, looked lost against all pitching this year. Once teams got film on her, she didn't have much at the plate.

Wish her well, but I'll be stunned if she ends up at a Power 5 or Group of 5 school. Likely bound for Chattanooga or MTSU.

Outside of a two-week stretch her freshman year at the Judy Garman Classic and at Florida, Phillips is a below .200 hitter for her career. Positive was a third of her hits were home runs. Negative was the strikeout total. Looked lost against SEC pitching as a freshman, looked lost against all pitching this year. Once teams got film on her, she didn't have much at the plate.

Wish her well, but I'll be stunned if she ends up at a Power 5 or Group of 5 school. Likely bound for Chattanooga or MTSU.
Not surprised about Holcomb but somewhat surprised about Phillips. She literally could crush the ball. As Deerpark noted she seemed to hit against teams without the book on her which is she doesn't handle the off speed pitches too well and took too many good pitches. Will open up more time for McCrary who has plate discipline and can also launch a lot of balls. Do we have any big power hitters in the upcoming freshman class?

Overall this year's class was very good even with Kiki not getting going consistently. I noticed they were bragging in an article about Texas getting Ole Miss's top pitcher, but Callie had better stats even with some of the questionable scoring. She when the season stopped had pitched the most innings of any SEC pitcher. McCrary, Webber, and Willingham all showed great promise. Kiki can be a superstar, but she needs to shorten her swing because off speed pitches were hurting her too. Curran also has some tools.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Nooga is next to home so maybe there!

Caught this on twitter on an article about Ally being voted short season AA by Softball America. Her quote "I know Chelsea Seggern and Cailin Hannon are for sure coming back. The other seniors are undecided". I think Ally would know that gives me a big ole grin! Another interesting quote was she thought she might get her freshman season back from hardship but wouldn't know til her last year. Wouldn't that be something. Also said Karen had talked with some other SEC coaches and some are going to have 32 person rosters!

Like I said about Chattanooga...

I think there will be some good news for the Lady Vols early next week.

VN Store

Back