Softball Fall Preview

Good write up. I would disagree only on Holcomb needs to play in left only she is all world there so so in the other positions. Webber will work in somewhere from what i saw Saturday if Morgan cannot develop more of a power stroke she will be replaced by the freshman. They played KK McCrary at third most of first game she looked good defensively there. By the way the team as a whole looked sharp defensively.
I as well think that Jenna is the best in LF and I would put Miloy center and Alaya if she can hit in RF. With CS at short and MIloy at second and Parsons at second and Allie catching we will be as strong up the middle as we can be. They know more than me but just saying! By the way did Willingham play and if so what did she do?

Reactions: ldyvolsoftballfan
They started Milloy in center in the first game. Hannon made a real nice running catch against the wall. Did not notice Willingham but I did not see all of the last game plus the roster numbers did not all match what they were wearing. They let Hazelwood bat a lot she is a big girl I'm sure if she catches it it will go. Ashley Rodgers though never heavy looks great seems to be almost all muscle now.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Gracie Osborn? Does she figure into the mix?
I had high hopes for Gracie last year and she practically hit herself out of the lineup. Decent catcher and shortstop but don't hit don't play as I see it. She was injured in her senior year of HS and may not have gotten completely well last year. I hope she comes through as well. JMHO as always! SS

Reactions: Putbacks
Gracie played at catcher and short Saturday looked great at both, but as has been mentioned can she hit enough?

Gracie played at catcher and short Saturday looked great at both, but as has been mentioned can she hit enough?
I think you're confusing Gracie with Josie Willingham. I was at the two games on Saturday
and Josie played at three various positions - shortstop, second, and catcher. She looked good
at all three but I think she will be our new shortstop. Gracie was in the bullpen warming up
pitchers and did not play in either game. Regarding Callie Turner, she needs to work on her
control or she could have major problems like Gabby Sprang. She has the same nervous
characteristics.

I think you're confusing Gracie with Josie Willingham. I was at the two games on Saturday
and Josie played at three various positions - shortstop, second, and catcher. She looked good
at all three but I think she will be our new shortstop. Gracie was in the bullpen warming up
pitchers and did not play in either game. Regarding Callie Turner, she needs to work on her
control or she could have major problems like Gabby Sprang. She has the same nervous
characteristics.
Well I stand corrected. I thought at some point they announced Gracie batting. I really didn't know for sure who it was because her number looked like 22 when catching and that's why I thought at first it was Curran. I knew if it was Gracie she wasn't wearing her glasses. She was real good at catcher made a nice throw to second and was strong at short. Did not pick up on being at second. Thanks for the correction. Turner did have control issues and I did hear the Sprang mentioned by some. She definitely has to dial in the control though her stuff is good (we must hope cause we need a number 2 pitcher). I saw Sprang in her first fall game too what scared me about her was not only the control issues but really her speed was not good which was shocking to be the NO 1 rated pitcher by many coming out of high school.

Well I stand corrected. I thought at some point they announced Gracie batting. I really didn't know for sure who it was because her number looked like 22 when catching and that's why I thought at first it was Curran. I knew if it was Gracie she wasn't wearing her glasses. She was real good at catcher made a nice throw to second and was strong at short. Did not pick up on being at second. Thanks for the correction. Turner did have control issues and I did hear the Sprang mentioned by some. She definitely has to dial in the control though her stuff is good (we must hope cause we need a number 2 pitcher). I saw Sprang in her first fall game too what scared me about her was not only the control issues but really her speed was not good which was shocking to be the NO 1 rated pitcher by many coming out of high school.
You mentioned Amanda Curran, I was impressed with her play in right field. She had no hits
but she hit the ball hard on the nose in her at bats. At a distance she looks just like Ally Shipman. Both are six feet tall with the same build. In fact I heard someone say that Ally's
grandfather confused the two when Amanda came to bat. They run practically the same way too. Other new players I was impressed with were Samantha Bender, the transfer pitcher from Iona; Kiki Milloy who played center field and had a homerun; KK McCrary who played some third base and Madison Webber who played some first base. Sam Bender's
stats at Iona were not impressive but her pitching abilities looked fine on Saturday. She had
good control of her pitches and they had movement. You can tell she is a veteran pitcher.
McCrary fields the ball well and has a strong arm and shows promise with the bat. It will be interesting to see if the Weeklys play her at third and keep Chelsea at short instead of Willingham. Madison Webber looks like a natural at first and has a good batter's instinct.
If Morgan doesn't improve her batting Webber could see considerable time at first.

You mentioned Amanda Curran, I was impressed with her play in right field. She had no hits
but she hit the ball hard on the nose in her at bats. At a distance she looks just like Ally Shipman. Both are six feet tall with the same build. In fact I heard someone say that Ally's
grandfather confused the two when Amanda came to bat. They run practically the same way too. Other new players I was impressed with were Samantha Bender, the transfer pitcher from Iona; Kiki Milloy who played center field and had a homerun; KK McCrary who played some third base and Madison Webber who played some first base. Sam Bender's
stats at Iona were not impressive but her pitching abilities looked fine on Saturday. She had
good control of her pitches and they had movement. You can tell she is a veteran pitcher.
McCrary fields the ball well and has a strong arm and shows promise with the bat. It will be interesting to see if the Weeklys play her at third and keep Chelsea at short instead of Willingham. Madison Webber looks like a natural at first and has a good batter's instinct.
If Morgan doesn't improve her batting Webber could see considerable time at first base.

If Morgan doesn't improve her batting Webber could see considerable time at first base.

Yeah I later figured out who Curran was tall blonde and athletic and if memory serves left handed batter. (It is a guilty pleasure of mine that our new left handed batters are not slappers!) I missed the MIlloy home run she just looks like hitter. I wasn't expecting much from Bender with her prior stats but she can pop it in there pretty good and it bores in on right handed batters and really snaps away from left handed batters. I think this freshman class definitely has players that pass the eye test. Who plays where and how much will come down to hitting all I saw were plenty solid on defense. I'm going to say this now don't underestimate having Marc back on the staff. Any idea what Curran's pitching potential is?

I as well think that Jenna is the best in LF and I would put Miloy center and Alaya if she can hit in RF. With CS at short and MIloy at second and Parsons at second and Allie catching we will be as strong up the middle as we can be. They know more than me but just saying! By the way did Willingham play and if so what did she do?
Yes I meant left for Jenna don't know my left from my right always get those mixed up.

I can say the current roster makes for a lot of competition for playing time next season. This will be the best group of players we've had in a while competing for playing time. If Holcomb and Parsons can get on base at a high clip players like Seggern, Shipman, and Milloy could have enormous years with the bat. This could be the first time one through nine that you look forward to every plate appearance and not think some players in the lower half are mostly automatic outs.
I think Curran was number 46 in the top 100 listed as a pitcher. Looks like she had some very good pitching stats while in high school,

SOFTBALL: The Woodlands’ Amanda Curran is The Courier’s Player of the Year

i Saw the games this past weekend and I am very optimistic about the depth of offense and defense this year. Girls that stood out to me were Ayala, Milloy Webber Willingham Seggren and Holcomb. Pitching from Hazelwood Bender and Rogers was on point and Turner just needed to settle in. Had good movement on her pitches but were missing just a bit. Very fixable with small adjustments and time to get comfortable. And getting Shipman back would be the cherry on top. I have a feeling we will have more than one AA this year. I’d like to get to Nashville this Sunday to watch games but have a conflict. Will anyone be there to post some PBP?

Reactions: lvocd and kregman
i Saw the games this past weekend and I am very optimistic about the depth of offense and defense this year. Girls that stood out to me were Ayala, Milloy Webber Willingham Seggren and Holcomb. Pitching from Hazelwood Bender and Rogers was on point and Turner just needed to settle in. Had good movement on her pitches but were missing just a bit. Very fixable with small adjustments and time to get comfortable. And getting Shipman back would be the cherry on top. I have a feeling we will have more than one AA this year. I’d like to get to Nashville this Sunday to watch games but have a conflict. Will anyone be there to post some PBP?
Yes if anyone can make the games Sunday give us some updates. Many of the freshman can play multiple positions which really hurts Morgan since her lack of speed limits her to 1st base. I'm sure at worst Ally could play first but hopefully she is healthy enough to play catcher.

VN Store

Back