Softball Fall Preview

lvocd

Thanks, everyone, for all the excellent comments and observations on this year’s team. I’ve been so wrapped up in the new-look LV basketball team that I’d put off taking the plunge into the softball preview thread, but now I’m thrilled I did. Good stuff!

RogerThat

Gosh you are going out an a limb here six months before the first game I see. lol! All these people on this board with crystal balls is amazing!
I agree SCC, too soon to tell. Seggern is a good SS but an AA third baseman. I hope someone steps up and claims SS so she can do what she does at third. I like Willingham’s potential to play short and then Osborn will hopefully compete for that spot too. Overall, the talent this year seems crazy good. Only seen one weekend so far and these freshmen are making an impact already. My picks for the outfield are Holcomb Milloy and Ayala. But Hannon can fit in there too at any time. Good problem to have——too much talent!

Volfan2012

I think the emphasis of Seggern playing short is because Phillips is either a third baseman or the catcher. If Shipman is able to catch then to get Phillips in the lineup she will have to play third. If Shipman can't catch this season then I would say SS is wide open with Osborn, and Willingham and maybe even Fox. If Phillips has to catch then Seggern may go back to third and SS will be a competition more than likely between Willingham, Fox and Osborn. Willingham looks like a defensive gem at the position don't much about her hitting. McCrary could also be a candidate to play third a lot gonna be happening a lot of players this year that could win jobs. No way I would say any job is won in the infield I feel really good that the outfield being Holcomb, Milloy, and Alaya. Then again we have Webber who looks like she needs to play full time. Willingham can also catch so we have at least four players on the roster that can catch. I think if Shipman could play another position that might happen if I was a veteran player on this roster I would be working hard to improve my game because this freshman class is awesome and looking to play next season.

sccshortstop

I agree SCC, too soon to tell. Seggern is a good SS but an AA third baseman. I hope someone steps up and claims SS so she can do what she does at third. I like Willingham’s potential to play short and then Osborn will hopefully compete for that spot too. Overall, the talent this year seems crazy good. Only seen one weekend so far and these freshmen are making an impact already. My picks for the outfield are Holcomb Milloy and Ayala. But Hannon can fit in there too at any time. Good problem to have——too much talent!
Yep outfield set I think as you mentioned. If the plan is to get Allie in and I think she will be ready then to get Phillips bat in 3rd will be hers I think. If Morgan don't hit a freshman may take her place but she is as good defensively as anyone. That would put CS at short and we would be strong up the middle because I think Parsons can play second. That may be a place for Willingham as well but the bottom line for our team with MW coming in is she who hits plays. JMHO as always! SCCSS

ldyvolsoftballfan

I think you're confusing Gracie with Josie Willingham. I was at the two games on Saturday
and Josie played at three various positions - shortstop, second, and catcher. She looked good
at all three but I think she will be our new shortstop. Gracie was in the bullpen warming up
pitchers and did not play in either game. Regarding Callie Turner, she needs to work on her
control or she could have major problems like Gabby Sprang. She has the same nervous
characteristics.
Correct it was Josie who started out catching then later moved to short.

VOL_Lyfe

Make UT Great Again
Question: as a newer follower of Tennessee Softball and in Illinois, what’s the best way to keep up with it aside from here? Are there sites available? Publications? Anything?
Theres a college softball forum under 'robocoach' that may/may not have a UT-specific thread....it varies. That forum gets a bit nuts with travel parents and DD- type stuff, so caveat emptor. I'll post the link if you like.

illvol

Eternal optimist
Theres a college softball forum under 'robocoach' that may/may not have a UT-specific thread....it varies. That forum gets a bit nuts with travel parents and DD- type stuff, so caveat emptor. I'll post the link if you like.
I’d take anything I could get. It’s hard being in the Midwest and trying to find any sports info from the SEC.

ldyvolsoftballfan

Question: as a newer follower of Tennessee Softball and in Illinois, what’s the best way to keep up with it aside from here? Are there sites available? Publications? Anything?
If you have Twitter you can follow them there. They usually post as the games go along. (not as much as some schools but they do post).

illvol

Eternal optimist
I’ve been on the football forum for years and they have updates/discussion during games. Is there a forum or thread for that for softball? I know the games this weekend aren’t on television or radio so trying to find a way to keep up.

sccshortstop

I’ve been on the football forum for years and they have updates/discussion during games. Is there a forum or thread for that for softball? I know the games this weekend aren’t on television or radio so trying to find a way to keep up.
On this forum here. There are several of us that talk before during and after the game most all the time during the season!! Come on down in the spring!

kamoshika

Regarding Callie Turner, she needs to work on her control or she could have major problems like Gabby Sprang. She has the same nervous characteristics.
Control is a concern for me w/ Turner, as I alluded to a few months ago. In HS her strikeout-to-walk ratio dropped drastically from her junior year (7:1) to last year (2.3:1), leading to her allowing a career-worst OBP of .283. I don't know if she had similar issues in travel ball or not but I still hope to see her emerge as our No. 2 pitcher this spring; she certainly has the talent to do so.

* thanks for the catch, scshortstop!

Last edited:

sccshortstop

Control is a concern for me w/ Taylor, as I alluded to a few months ago. In HS her strike-to-walk ratio dropped drastically from her junior year (7:1) to last year (2.3:1), leading to her allowing a career-worst OBP of .283. I don't know if she had similar issues in travel ball or not but I still hope to see her emerge as our No. 2 pitcher this spring; she certainly has the talent to do so.
Taylor?

illvol

Eternal optimist
On this forum here. There are several of us that talk before during and after the game most all the time during the season!! Come on down in the spring!
Glad to hear that. I doubt I’ll make it down for a home game but I plan to come when they play Mizzou. That’s still 5 hours from me but it’s close enough!!!

VN Store

Sponsors