Social Security - your thoughts?

Illegally or using the numerous loopholes instituted by both parties? Using the system as created and intended is not gaming the system

If you make secret campaign contributions and the elected officials do your bidding to pass changes which help you avoid taxes, that's going to kill the notion of a 15 percent flat tax.

The concern is obvious, which is that if there were a substantial market downturn, or even a modest one that lasted a period of a few years, you'd have people who run out of $ to pay for retirement substantially before they would have, had they been getting the steady SS check.

Everyone would love it if it consistently gave 5% + growth. But if it got sluggish and there were the kind of enormous losses that would entail to a huge population with no alternatives, not so much.
If you're wanting zero risk, you could find instruments that are as close to zero as possible. The return is not good but still better than SS.

How much money do you think the ave wage earner would have in the account (using historical rates of return) when they turn 65? I did the math a few months ago in the thread. But do you have a gut feeling on the amount?

If you make secret campaign contributions and the elected officials do your bidding to pass changes which help you avoid taxes, that's going to kill the notion of a 15 percent flat tax.
You did it again. You pretended to be in earnest. But you are unserious about a real discussion.

The math I referenced earlier in a reply to LG (in case anyone is interested):
Math:
Ave weekly wage in US = $1200 per week (rounded).
% contributed to SS by employee and employer per paycheck = 12.4%
Ave amount per week going into SS = 150 (rounded)
Amount of money after 47 years of working if 150 per week was put into a very safe investment at 7% = 3M (rounded).
***This assumes a wage which never increases over time.
ave monthly SS check for those retiring at 65 = $1720 (rounded)
ave age of death in US = 73
1720 x (8 years x 12 months) = 165K

The ave earning power the benevolent government stole from the ave american worker = 2,830,000 (rounded)

You are putting in 366K (assumes 0% return) and getting out 165K....
But what if there is a steep or moderate downturn in the market that lasts for several years?

That security from a negative 50% return on 366k is better, right???

But what if there is a steep or moderate downturn in the market that lasts for several years?

That security from a negative 50% return on 366k is better, right???

There's some issues with your logic and assumptions but the general gist is directionally correct...

I like my llogical and assumptive issues. It's what makes me unique.

Let's explore them. Lay it on me.

You are taking current average SS check of 1,720 which was earned from 1940-2023.

You are comparing that to current average weekly wages of 1200 and extrapolating it out.

Grandpa wasn't making 65K a year in 1940...

More accurate method would be the average weekly paycheck from 1940-2023, not current one..

Reactions: McDad
You are taking current average SS check of 1,720 which was earned from 1940-2023.

You are comparing that to current average weekly wages of 1200 and extrapolating it out.

Grandpa wasn't making 65K a year in 1940...
Agreed. How much does it change the total payout based on what the monthly amount is in 45 years? We can even bump up the life expectancy a bit to account for healthier population if you want.

ETa...and since we're talking about those refinements, how about a yearly COLA increase to weekly wages for the 45 years?

This is going to be interesting.

More accurate method would be the average weekly paycheck from 1940-2023, not current one..
I was trying to do the math on someone joining the workforce today and retiring in 47 years rather than someone starting their work 47 years ago.

Agreed. How much does it change the total payout based on what the monthly amount is in 45 years? We can even bump up the life expectancy a bit to account for healthier population if you want.

ETa...and since we're talking about those refinements, how about a yearly COLA increase to weekly wages for the 45 years?

This is going to be interesting.
an annual 2.5% COLA raise on a weekly 1200 wage would be around $3800 per week in 47 years.

I for one don't care whether or not any of them 'appreciate it'. I want OUR tax dollars to benefit OUR country first. If there is any left over then we can be generous. With $4,000,000,000,000.00 in debt, we are nowhere near that point yet.

The debt doesn't affect your life--so why do you and others pretend that it does? It's the same with right-wingers who are always
prattling about the GOVERNMENT limiting their "freedom." More nonsense.

The debt doesn't affect your life--so why do you and others pretend that it does? It's the same with right-wingers who are always
prattling about the GOVERNMENT limiting their "freedom." More nonsense.

It does affect everyones life since the .gov is printing money just to cover the interest.

The numbers are even worse if you are at the cap....

Me and my spouse would both have to make it to late 80s/early 90s to get positive ROI...

She'll murder me way before then

The math I referenced earlier in a reply to LG (in case anyone is interested):

7 % is "very safe?" Where can I get that when I reitre ?

And you are talking long term, ignoring the disaster for 5 years when it's negative, just as a retiree needs it.

You are still looking at a 1.5% average ROI...at most...
Ok. Great you've provided more accuracy on my overview. I like it.

What about greater accuracy on private index funds? Is the rate of return reasonable? should we estimate increasing levels of contribution as pay increases? What do you think?

VN Store

Back