Social Security - your thoughts?

7 % is "very safe?" Where can I get that when I reitre ?

And you are talking long term, ignoring the disaster for 5 years when it's negative, just as a retiree needs it.
A person making 150K should get same ROI as someone making 15K...

If that's not the case, you have wealth redistribution...

7 % is "very safe?" Where can I get that when I reitre ?

And you are talking long term, ignoring the disaster for 5 years when it's negative, just as a retiree needs it.
From Google:
The index acts as a benchmark of the performance of the U.S. stock market overall, dating back to the 1920s. The index has returned a historic annualized average return of around 10.26% since its 1957 inception through the end of 2023.

Be tough to do it on holdings but buy or sell, yes. I'm talking if you buy $1 million of Boeing stock you pay something along the lines of $1k in tax. Same if you sell.

So there’s zero tax when $999,999 of Boeing stock is traded and another $999,999 is traded?

Taxing the wealthy exclusively is simply an envy tax that gets votes for the rich liberal politicians that talk about it. Individual income tax is already progressive and is overwhelmingly paid by the highest earners.

Just being honest. The billionaires and those worth many millions game the system and pay much lower percentages than 15.
Those guys aren’t earning “income”. That’s not what they’re paying taxes on.

From the 1st page of this thread -

#TSPforAll

Why wouldn’t it work All Americans?

Could even limit the choices down to 2 or 3.

Mandate migration into the “safest” allocation after age 55 - to protect against the hypothetical downturn in the last 5 years.

@BigOrangeMojo @McDad ?

I’m guessing Hog will hate it lol

Reactions: McDad

Mandate migration into the “safest” allocation after age 55 - to protect against the hypothetical downturn in the last 5 years.

@BigOrangeMojo @McDad ?

I'm a fan of anything that gets it away from politicians.

So there’s zero tax when $999,999 of Boeing stock is traded and another $999,999 is traded?

Taxing the wealthy exclusively is simply an envy tax that gets votes for the rich liberal politicians that talk about it. Individual income tax is already progressive and is overwhelmingly paid by the highest earners.
All I see is article after article about new taxes to fund this and that. I am yet to see a single article about controlling their spending and wasteful spending of billions on pork projects. If they would become responsible in the spending they would not need to raise taxes. YOU CANNOT TAX YOUR WAY OUT OF STUPIDITY!!!

3 options to determine ROI

100% guaranteed based on 10 year note

1/4 equity, 3/4 guaranteed based on 10 yr

1/2 equity, 1/2 guaranteed

ROI IS THE SAME FOR EVERYONE

Default is 1/4 equity and can only be changed once per year to take effect for next year. For example, if I want to go 50% equity, I have to change it before 12/31/24 to go into effect for 2025.

From Google:
The index acts as a benchmark of the performance of the U.S. stock market overall, dating back to the 1920s. The index has returned a historic annualized average return of around 10.26% since its 1957 inception through the end of 2023.

Annualized over 60 plus years. The problem is, what if you are 68 yoa and the index goes seriously backwards. If you allow too much to much of the SS benefit to be in that vehicle, the risk is high, in that short term.

Annualized over 60 plus years. The problem is, what if you are 68 yoa and the index goes seriously backwards. If you allow too much to much of the SS benefit to be in that vehicle, the risk is high, in that short term.
You have access to Google same as me. Google your concern. See what the historical record is. See what would be smart to protect principle as one approaches certain ages.

If our politicians would allowed people to take their social security and invest in the stock market in a 401k type plan, there will be no issue with Social Security and those people would have plenty of money to retire on

Reactions: LouderVol

@BigOrangeMojo @McDad ?

?

You are taking current average SS check of 1,720 which was earned from 1940-2023.

You are comparing that to current average weekly wages of 1200 and extrapolating it out.

Grandpa wasn't making 65K a year in 1940...

More accurate method would be the average weekly paycheck from 1940-2023, not current one..
They index your income for inflation..I already ran my numbers..If you earned 20K in 1990, it is valued at 60K.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Wow. Insightful. This had only been said about a million times before.

Solutions are what we need to discuss now.

Means testing is a non starter. Raising retirement age by a year, maybe that would work. Or combo that with a tiny tax on securities since tax rate increase on the wealthy is apparently also untenable.

30-years ago? Sure. However, the Boomers balked at even the most slight changes that would have made a massive difference over 3 decades.

At this point, SS is functionally not savable. If our politicians had balls, they could acutely reform the program to save it for the most vulnerable. The rub being that it would cease to function as we traditionally expect only retain the same name.

Reactions: LouderVol
Well, what’s your opinion on extending TSP to all Americans?

I’m all for it. I don’t want to think about how much I would have right now if since I was fifteen 14.2% of my paycheck had been going to one. I’d like for there to be more options available but.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
You have access to Google same as me. Google your concern. See what the historical record is. See what would be smart to protect principle as one approaches certain ages.

Smart isn't a guarantee. There is still risk, and if that comes to pass for tens of millions of people in a particular age bracket, all at the same time, its a difficult gamble to justify.

Smart isn't a guarantee. There is still risk, and if that comes to pass for tens of millions of people in a particular age bracket, all at the same time, its a difficult gamble to justify.
You're making this entirely more complex than it needs to be.
Have you evaluated guaranteed loss of potential net worth under current system with your hypothetical-never-happened doomsday scenario?

VN Store

Back