Soccer Fans - Picking an EPL Team

Panthro

Alright EPL fans, I need to pick a team.
I just recently got Fox Soccer Channel, and I love it for everything it offers. I've just realized that I hardly ever care who wins when watching an EPL match (unless someone is playing Man U).
I want to pick a team that is good, but not huge-bandwagon-good. I at least want to feel confident that my team would be in the Champions League as much as possible.
I want a team without a lot of French players, and possibly a team with cool uniforms. I have noticed that I love Liverpool's blood red jerseys.
I know that if I were to ever visit the area, it would be to London, so I might like to pick a team from there.

This has left me to choose between four teams.

Tottenham Hotspur- Don't know a lot about them, but I'm willing to learn. I know they have a lot of players for the England squad. They haven't finished in the top four since 1993.
Fulham - I know nothing more than Clint Dempsey plays for them.
Arsenal - I would like to consider them, but they have a lot of French players, and I read their list of celebrity fans. They include Fidel Castro, John Gotti, Michael Moore and Osama Bin Laden.
Chelsea - This is the team I'm probably MOST considering at this point. I already like a few of their players. Drogba is reason enough to support a team. However, I have a friend that is a Tottenham fan, and he said picking Chelsea is almost as bad as picking MU. Still, Chelsea has to be my leader right now.

I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions from other EPL fans on this board.

Chelsea are the New York Yankees of the EPL. Boo.

I follow Liverpool loosely.

Manchester United is the NY Yankees of the EPL, I thought.

Chelsea is owned by a Russian Oil tycoon and he's poured in tons of money through player salary to basically buy a successful team.

I dislike both Man U and Chelsea. Blech.

I know they're in the Brundesliga, but I do like Bayern Munich.

If you can't cheer for Man U, there is no reason to cheer for Chelsea. Do what you gotta do, I'm just sayin' because you asked.

I'm not sold on Chelsea, really. If Chelsea really is equivalent to Man U, then I'll look elsewhere.
Any thoughts on Arsenal, Fulham, or Tottenham?

I'm not sold on Chelsea, really. If Chelsea really is equivalent to Man U, then I'll look elsewhere.

I've had a bit of a liking for Tottenham since Robbie Keane was there. Plus, if you root for them, no one can accuse you of being a bandwaggoner.

Question, do team colors mean anything to you? What are you going for here? A successful squad or one whose games you'll enjoy watching regardless of outcome?

IMO, picking Chelsea is just as bad as United. Atleast, you have the history with United. I like Arsenal, but they are a team that will never really buy any players, which is necessary in today's football world. tottenham is a fun team who will more than likely be in the Champions League this year. Liverpool might not be in Europe for a while after this season.

Man U and Chelsea are pretty equivalent to New York yankees and Red Sox.

Forgot to mention I don't know a lot about Fulham other than Eddie Johnson (though on loan) and Clint Dempsey playing for them.

Man U and Chelsea are pretty equivalent to New York yankees and Red Sox.

I made that analogy earlier. I dislike them both, but Chelsea just a little bit more.

Possibly a better analogy would be Chelsea:NE Patriots, Man U:Dallas Cowboys. They both have ridiculous payrolls but one has a rich history while the other, outside of the last 10 or so years, does not.

Both have a ton of bandwaggoner fans.

Last edited:
Chelsea is definitely OUT, then. What would you equate Arsenal to in America?
Fabregas is a stud, and Van Persie (for Netherlands) is fun to watch. I don't want to be a bandwaggoner, but I also have put up with too many seasons with the Cubs to go with a squad that is cursed.

Arsenal is a team with a great youth system, that develops a certain mentality with all of their players. They will always be at the top, but very rarely win trophies, like the Cubs. They will rarely go out and spend lots of money on players. More times than not, teams will come poach their players like possibly Fabregas this summer and Adebayor last summer.

Keeping it in NFL terms I'd say maybe the Bears or Giants. They've had recent success... but nothing approaching what they've had in the past.

Arsenal has won the Premier League Cup 3 times in the last 20 years (01, 04, 05) while Man U has won it 11 times and Chelsea has won it 3 times.

Last edited:
I made that analogy earlier. I dislike them both, but Chelsea just a little bit more.

Possibly a better analogy would be Chelsea:NE Patriots, Man U:Dallas Cowboys. They both have ridiculous payrolls but one has a rich history while the other, outside of the last 10 or so years, does not.

Both have a ton of bandwaggoner fans.

The Pats and the Cowboys ranked 23 and 28 in payrolls last year.

The Pats and the Cowboys ranked 23 and 28 in payrolls last year.

I was making a statement based on overall payroll trends over the last several years, not for this particular year.

I'm guessing, based on your team icons, that you took exception to me saying the Patriots have little history outside of last decade.

Though, to be fair, the payroll difference is nowhere near as bad in the NFL as it is in the EPL or MLB due to the NFL's cap. JJ is trying to get the NFL to do away with the cap, though, so he can buy NFL Titles. I guess that's one reason why I lumped the Cowgirls in with the spending mentality.

I was making a statement based on overall payroll trends over the last several years, not for this particular year.

I'm guessing, based on your team icons, that you took exception to me saying the Patriots have little history outside of last decade.

Though, to be fair, the payroll difference is nowhere near as bad in the NFL as it is in the EPL or MLB due to the NFL's cap. JJ is trying to get the NFL to do away with the cap, though, so he can buy NFL Titles. I guess that's one reason why I lumped the Cowgirls in with the spending mentality.

It has nothing to do with team history.

In the past ten years the Redskins have spent more than the Patriots every year with the exception 2001 and 2005, even leading the league a couple of years.

Snyder likes to spend just as much as Jones.

The Redskins would thrive without a salary cap too. They are always near the top in annual revenue. But that's without saying the Pats would as well.

I wouldn't put it past Jones to try to outdo everyone else though.

Okay, this is turning into an NFL discussion, now.
Arsenal just had a dude playing in the Swiss loss to Chile. I'll give them a solid watch when play gets back to going strong, and might consider them now. I just hate reading the celeb list of fans they already have. That shouldn't matter, but I just want nothing in common with Bin Laden, Castro, and Michael Moore.

It has nothing to do with team history.

In the past ten years the Redskins have spent more than the Patriots every year with the exception 2001 and 2005, even leading the league a couple of years.

Snyder likes to spend just as much as Jones.

The Dallas Cowboys are one of the most successful teams, historically. They're second to the Pittsburgh Steelers in total SB wins. The Steelers are far less flashy and have far fewer geographically distant fans. That's why, loosely, Cowboys = Man U.

Chelsea has no history. The Pats had very little success before Bellichick. They both have been very successful in the last decade. They both have a lot of bandwagon fans.

We're now completely off topic. No more comparisons, I guess.

Man U is owned by Americans, just saying. So basically, if you don't pull for Man U, you might as well be a terrorist.

Arsenal also plays the most beautiful football in a league that by no means is known for it's beauty.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Well we've ruled out United and Chelsea so might as well go with a contender that plays attractive football.

Well we've ruled out United and Chelsea so might as well go with a contender that plays attractive football.

I understand, but I still have an obligation to help him understand the inferiority of his choice.

VN Store

Back