So what’s the breakdown on Purdue

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
Admittedly I haven’t searched overly hard, but I have yet to find a good synopsis on Purdue this season.

I know they beat UM but looking at their record they don’t necessarily have a huge wow factor (I’m sure they’d say the same about us).

So for anyone who keeps up with them, what’s the skinny?

Admittedly I haven’t searched overly hard, but I have yet to find a good synopsis on Purdue this season.

I know they beat UM but looking at their record they don’t necessarily have a huge wow factor (I’m sure they’d say the same about us).

They didnt Beat UM.

I saw them play Iowa. They have a physical front 7 on defense and an explosive offense. I dont know if they have the speed in the secondary to match up with Tennessee thou. Obviously watching them vs Iowa I have no idea about that. They are much better defensively than they have been in the recent past thou.

their defense has allowed a lot less points than we have this year. only allowed +30 in two games. i posted in one of the music city bowl threads how we've allowed +30 in 6 games :/

here's some statistical comps

QB's:
Hooker- 180 for 261 completitions...2,567 yards...26 td, 3int (5 rushing tds)
Milton- 32 for 62... 375 yards... 2 td, 0 int (2 rush tds)

purdue
O'Connell- 289 for 393... 3,178 yards... 23 td, 8int (1 rush td)
Plummer- 87 for 127... 864 yards... 7 td, 0 int (0 rush td)

RB's:
Small- 612 yards, 8td in 114 carries
Hooker-561 yards, 5td, 148 carries
Evans-Gone
Wright- 355 yards, 4td, 68 carries

purdue
Doerue- 488 yards... 2 td in 125 carries
horvath- 262 yards... 3 td in 74 carries
downing... 178 yards... 1 td in 44 yards

WR:
tillman- 56 rec...931 yards...9td
jones- 52 rec... 722 yards...6td
payton- 16 rec... 378 yards... 6 td
warren (TE)- 18 rec... 179 yards... 3 td

purdue
bell- 93 rec ... 1286 yards... 6 td
wright-57 rec ... 732 yards... 7 td
antrhop-48 rec... 496 yards... 5 td
durham (TE)- 40 rec... 382 yards... 4 td

Defense:
Tennessee:
32 sacks
10 int's
4 Forced Fumbles
3 Defensive TD's

purdue
23 sacks
13 int
9 Forced Fumbles
1 Defensive TD

Kicking:
McGrath: 100% extra points... FG made 11/14... Longest 48 yards

purdue
Fineran: 36/37 extra pints... FG made 20/25... Longest 48 yards

Last edited:
Thanks. Good stuff. They seem fairly one sided offensively.

Still don’t see how the music city bowl wouldn’t rather have us vs Clemson.

They score under 30 ppg as a pass first O. They're dead last running the ball in the Big 10. One piece of good news is their QB doesn't seem to be much of a running threat.

Very difficult to say how they will match up to UT's O. They haven't played anyone who runs even close to as fast as UT does.

They're 5-0 against teams with a losing record and 3-4 against teams with a winning record. Their best win by far was Michigan State- 40-29.

UT scores .508 points per play. tOSU scores an NCAA best .612 points per play. They blew Purdue out. ND who beat them by 2 TD's scores .500 pts/play. Oregon State who Purdue beat 30-21 scored .470 pts/play. IMO, they will struggle a lot with UT's tempo. They're used to playing Big 10 pace. Their relative lack of depth with that in mind will hurt them.

OTOH, their O could be a challenge to UT. They have the right kinds of guys to chew a zone defense up if UT cannot get constant pressure on the QB.

I personally like Brohm a lot and wanted him to be UT's coach when Pruitt was hired.

In the end, I don't see them beating a healthy UT team. The game could easily get away from Purdue early if UT can get a couple of stops.

They know how to throw the ball over 3,000 yards passing, having Alonte out is not a good thing. Not saying we can't defend, but it has been a challenge in some games.

It looks like a tough game to me. They have a great coach who like one other poster said I wanted here instead of Pruitt. IMO It’s going to come down to if they can stop our run. They score in the 40’s on a good day.

Vegas has the Vols favored by 2.5.

They do have some top ten wins...they have a good passing game. Hope the secondary plays strong

Curious as to what all players we will be without for the bowl game. Will Cade Mays and Taylor be sitting out. What all nagging injuries do we still have. If this has been posted I must have missed it.

They know how to throw the ball over 3,000 yards passing, having Alonte out is not a good thing. Not saying we can't defend, but it has been a challenge in some games.
My fear is that they have to rely on zone even more. UT's zone D sucks. I'm not sure why they didn't stop using it. That said, zone D success is often a measure of how the athleticism of a D vs the opponent's receiving corps. I haven't looked that deep at Purdue's receivers.

The bad news is that Burrell has been very vulnerable in man. Teams have consistently picked on him. UT doesn't have a ton of depth at CB unless Hadden can make a big leap between now and game time.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
They do have some top ten wins...they have a good passing game. Hope the secondary plays strong

Curious as to what all players we will be without for the bowl game. Will Cade Mays and Taylor be sitting out. What all nagging injuries do we still have. If this has been posted I must have missed it.
Taylor has already announced he wont be playing in the bowl game. it'd be great if he reconsiders

Also,
Tennessee SCORED Points: 466
Tennessee ALLOWED Points: 330

Purdue SCORED Points: 331
Purdue ALLOWED Points: 246

We've outscored them (with one of the most difficult schedules) by 135 points

Oddly, according to Sagarin, Purdue's SOS is #8 and UT's is #48.

Reactions: murfvol1

Taylor has announced that he is out.

I'm not sure of Cade Mays' status for the game or for leaving. Most expect him to leave but his injury very likely hurt his draft standing. There were some who were doubtful about how high he could go even before this season.

There’s some concerns but typically in games where it’s a high scoring affair Tennessee will prevail. I don’t know Purdues schedule so someone would have to tell me if they’ve faced this kind of up tempo offense this year.

It looks like a tough game to me. They have a great coach who like one other poster said I wanted here instead of Pruitt. IMO It’s going to come down to if they can stop our run. They score in the 40’s on a good day.

Vegas has the Vols favored by 2.5.[/QUOTE]
I’m seeing Purdue favored by 3

Reactions: Frozevol
Our secondary might have a long day with their WRs, especially with Taylor sitting the game out. Hopefully we can have a young/next guy step up.
Are they trying to sell tickets and get TV viewers? Who published the article? There is always a motive.

VN Store

Back