So tonight’s Saturday in the south.

To be even handed, I, again, was disappointed.

The biggest story of the 90's for the league was expansion. And one of the reasons I tuned in tonight was to see how Arkansas and South Carolina were the schools that came to the league and how that all went down. Not one word.

And then from a purely Florida perspective, when Chris Doering gets more air time than Danny Wuerffel.....smh.

I love Jeri Spurrier's interview however. She speaks her mind about her husband of 50 something years. Very refreshing. Free Shoes University and you can't spell Citrus without U.T. were both mentioned. Wuerffel, James Bates and Pat Dooley had some pretty good Visor Boy imitations I thought. :)

Kramer and Spurrier put the SEC in the national spotlight and more or less killed the Big10 who are still struggling for relevancy league wide. Tough to do the 90's justice in the time allotted. SEC had 3 different national champions in the decade which were all covered. From a UT perspective, I was more disappointed in the 80's Hershel and Bo Show. The Vols are barely mentioned and that was Reggie White's star power. No Majors, no Sugar Vols, no Duncan Stewart.

I wish I could say the tortoise ground it out and beat the hare in the end but the hare signed a 25 million contract with the Redskins. No one has ever contacted Fulmer about coaching as far as I know.

I didn't think this race was about money. I am positive CPF was not interested in going somewhere else to coach as well.

To be even handed, I, again, was disappointed.

The biggest story of the 90's for the league was expansion. And one of the reasons I tuned in tonight was to see how Arkansas and South Carolina were the schools that came to the league and how that all went down. Not one word.

And then from a purely Florida perspective, when Chris Doering gets more air time than Danny Wuerffel.....smh.
How does Gator nation view Doering? I’ve yet to find anyone who likes him as a person or analyst. He seems full of himself and has the worst takes. But, I was wondering if gator nation liked or loathed him?

From a history of the league perspective, this is the importance of the 90's outside of expansion and the conference title game.

Steve Spurrier killed Pat Dye style 3 yards and a cloud of dust football.
I knew Mr. Jorts would have a comment.

How does Gator nation view Doering? I’ve yet to find anyone who likes him as a person or analyst. He seems full of himself and has the worst takes. But, I was wondering if gator nation liked or loathed him?

People like him and he’s a true Gator. No doubt about that. But, on a team that had Fred Taylor, Reidel Anthony, Ike Hilliard and Jacques Green, Doering was just a guy.

His numbers are directly attributable to the fact that when defenses picked their poison, they often chose Doering.

When taking about the ‘99 Fiesta Bowl, they said that both teams were undefeated and this is a game that the General would have loved. Damn ESPN, is it really that difficult to look up a team’s record? It was 21 years ago and even I remember that Florida State lost to NC State early in the season. I agree with 99gator, the last few episodes have been underwhelming to say the least.

Fulmer had all the marbles, Spurrier came along took his marbles and over-shadowed him. Fulmer made no move to reverse the situation. It was like the Tortoise and the Hair fable, except the Hair wins. I don't like it but thats the way it went down.

Except Fulmer laughed first (92), laughed last (01) and laughed biggest(98, Spurrier never had an undefeated season. Granted Spurrier laughed most(7 to 3).

From a UT perspective, I was more disappointed in the 80's Hershel and Bo Show. The Vols are barely mentioned and that was Reggie White's star power. No Majors, no Sugar Vols, no Duncan Stewart.

If ESPN would had mentioned the Sugar Vols they would have had to cover the Auburn game where Sports Illustrated was on campus to write a fluff piece on Bo. What happen was the defense (relatively) shut Bo down and he took himself out of the game.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I didn't think this race was about money. I am positive CPF was not interested in going somewhere else to coach as well.

Its just a way to rate coaching ability by free market value. No one is ever interested in coaching away from their home but 100% of those same people have taken offers that were too good to turn down, do you think Spurrier wanted to coach at USC jr?

I love Jeri Spurrier's interview however. She speaks her mind about her husband of 50 something years. Very refreshing. Free Shoes University and you can't spell Citrus without U.T. were both mentioned. Wuerffel, James Bates and Pat Dooley had some pretty good Visor Boy imitations I thought. :)

Kramer and Spurrier put the SEC in the national spotlight and more or less killed the Big10 who are still struggling for relevancy league wide. Tough to do the 90's justice in the time allotted. SEC had 3 different national champions in the decade which were all covered. From a UT perspective, I was more disappointed in the 80's Hershel and Bo Show. The Vols are barely mentioned and that was Reggie White's star power. No Majors, no Sugar Vols, no Duncan Stewart.

Completely agree. The lack of any mention of the two SEC Championships and ESPECIALLY that 1985 team that prevented Miami from winning a NC is ridiculous. UGA/Hershel and AU/Jackson DEFINITELY deserved the amount they got, but where they wasted time in my opinion, was the Auburn-Alabama rivalry. That rivalry has ALWAYS been there and they chose to focus on it way too much. No excuse.

But to me, the COMPLETE OBVIOUS takeaway from the 1990's show was the lack of ANY comment from Fulmer about Manning. Multiple players and media members focused on Manning's impact, but ZERO comments from Fulmer. He didn't come in the show until discussing 1998. Accident? Possibly, but not likely. Peyton did mention Fulmer once as he said he "made him sweat" about how he chose to make him wait and not tell him his decision until the actual press conference. It's no secret those two are anything but buddies and this segment only backed it up for me...

Last edited:
If ESPN would had mentioned the Sugar Vols they would have had to cover the Auburn game where Sports Illustrated was on campus to write a fluff piece on Bo. What happen was the defense (relatively) shut Bo down and he took himself out of the game.

Yep. I remember. Cover of SI says "Whoa Bo!" and T-Rob is featured on the cover.

Completely agree. The lack of any mention of the two SEC Championships and ESPECIALLY that 1985 team that prevented Miami from winning an NC is ridiculous. UGA/Hershel and AU/Jackson DEFINITELY deserved the amount they got, but where they wasted time in my opinion, was the Auburn-Alabama rivalry. That rivalry has ALWAYS been there and they chose to focus on it way too much. No excuse.

But to me, the COMPLETE OBVIOUS takeaway from the 1990's show was the lack of ANY comment from Fulmer about Manning. Multiple players and media members focused on Manning's impact, but ZERO comments from Fulmer. He didn't come in the show until discussing 1998. Accident? Possibly, but not likely. Peyton did mention Fulmer once as he said he "made him sweat" about how he chose to make him wait and not tell him his decision until the actual announcement to come back. It's no secret those two are anything but buddies and this segment only backed it up for me...

Also no Coach Cutt either though. I think all of that was done in The Book of Manning. My take was that ESPN was not trying not to go over plowed ground again. Also nothing on the Miracle at South Bend. For my money, the top 5 Vol games since my fandom began in 1980 is 1. 1998 NC game against FSU 2. 1985 Sugar Bowl vs Miami 3. Miracle in South Bend in 1991 4. 1997 SEC Championship Game 5. Toss up between 1995 Bama game and 1998 Florida game

Reactions: Steven5198
I have a scheduling conflict. Somebody post about the visor tossing compilation - how many tosses, run time, editing, production quality, music bed, did it end with speeding up the flashing images of tosses a la Drunk History, et al.

Spurrier quit on his alma mater after Tennessee won what was billed as "the biggest game in Florida Field history" in 2001. And he quit on South Carolina in the middle of the season, 2 weeks before he had to take another whipping from Butch Jones in Knoxville.

A two time quitter who tainted his legacy in SEC football.

Spurrier quit on his alma mater after Tennessee won what was billed as "the biggest game in Florida Field history" in 2001. And he quit on South Carolina in the middle of the season, 2 weeks before he had to take another whipping from Butch Jones in Knoxville.

A two time quitter who tainted his legacy in SEC football.

😂😂😂

Nearly identical win/loss record.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191011-033841.png
    Screenshot_20191011-033841.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 12
I would rather not reminisce about that Nebraska game.
We attended both the Orange Bowl (Peyton's senior season, where the Huskers displayed the most complete football team I've witnessed in person) AND the was the Fiesta Bowl loss to Nebraska following the Vol natty. Vols underachieved in that one for sure. Yes, I get a gut-punch thinking about Nebraska, too.:mad:

VN Store

Back