So tonight’s Saturday in the south.

LivinginthePast

Robert Neyland Won more Nattys than rewarded. Why?
Is gonna be all about Florida and Steve spurrier? Just saw a preview. I think we had like three vs their five sec championships? Or is it 3 vs six? We won 89 though. One and one National championships. Florida played in it in 95 and 96. And we played in 97 and 98 basically. 97 we could have got some votes if we would have won. Oh well. Go vols.

Tennessee wouldn’t have gotten any votes for first place had they’d beaten Nebraska. Michigan would have been a unanimous number one. And yes tonight will mostly be about Steve Spurrier and the rise of Florida. Tennessee will certainly get some air time, but considering how Spurrier completely changed the way that football was played in the conference, you should expect him and his program to get a lion’s share of the coverage.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
Tennessee wouldn’t have gotten any votes for first place had they’d beaten Nebraska. Michigan would have been a unanimous number one. And yes tonight will mostly be about Steve Spurrier and the rise of Florida. Tennessee will certainly get some air time, but considering how Spurrier completely changed the way that football was played in the conference, you should expect him and his program to get a lion’s share of the coverage.

From a history of the league perspective, this is the importance of the 90's outside of expansion and the conference title game.

Steve Spurrier killed Pat Dye style 3 yards and a cloud of dust football.

However had Wash St. won and UT beat Nebraska it could've meant a NC for UT.

90s SEC should equally be about UT and UF. Those were the head honchos.

Fulmer had all the marbles, Spurrier came along took his marbles and over-shadowed him. Fulmer made no move to reverse the situation. It was like the Tortoise and the Hair fable, except the Hair wins. I don't like it but thats the way it went down.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Imagine what could have been had we offered Spurrier the job in 88 or 89.

To be even handed, I, again, was disappointed.

The biggest story of the 90's for the league was expansion. And one of the reasons I tuned in tonight was to see how Arkansas and South Carolina were the schools that came to the league and how that all went down. Not one word.

And then from a purely Florida perspective, when Chris Doering gets more air time than Danny Wuerffel.....smh.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
Or changed our offense and recruited him.
Spurrier was actually recruited by Ray Mears for basketball of all things. Of course, we were still mired in the single wing. Ray Graves' connection to Tennessee made it the perfect choice for Spurrier to go to Florida.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
I think the last 20-30 min of the show highlighted TN. Showed footage from Peyton deciding to stay his senior year and Tee stepping in as the QB in 98 to lead them to a Natty.

Reactions: malinoisvol

I think if Washington State would have beaten Michigan and we beat Nebraska we would have had a chance to some number one votes and a possible natty. Both games didn’t work out for us though.

Spurrier was actually recruited by Ray Mears for basketball of all things. Of course, we were still mired in the single wing. Ray Graves' connection to Tennessee made it the perfect choice for Spurrier to go to Florida.

Would our history have changed drastically had Spurrier played at UT? Would he have come back to coach later? Paired up with Peyton? Never would have had the rivalry with Florida in the 90’s? Won multiple Nattys?

From a history of the league perspective, this is the importance of the 90's outside of expansion and the conference title game.

Steve Spurrier killed Pat Dye style 3 yards and a cloud of dust football.

Johnny Majors did that in the early 80's.

Fulmer had all the marbles, Spurrier came along took his marbles and over-shadowed him. Fulmer made no move to reverse the situation. It was like the Tortoise and the Hair fable, except the Hair wins. I don't like it but thats the way it went down.

Actually I would say CPF got the last laugh by beating them at their place in 2001. Didn't stevie quit soon after that.

Actually I would say CPF got the last laugh by beating them at their place in 2001. Didn't stevie quit soon after that.

I wish I could say the tortoise ground it out and beat the hare in the end but the hare signed a 25 million contract with the Redskins. No one has ever contacted Fulmer about coaching as far as I know.

VN Store

Back